Gillette Skin Guard?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dan The Man, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Dan The Man

Dan The Man New Member

It seems safety razors aren't real popular around here but has anyone given this razor a whirl? I picked up the handle on a lark for $3 with a coupon. I have to say I like it. Due to the way the blades are spaced with the 'skin guards' it doesn't clog as easily as other multi-blade safety razors. When I let my beard grow a week before shaving and don't take it down with a beard trimmer first (due to irritation) other razors clog something terrible.

Here's what the cartridge looks like:

Screenshot-20191212100728-808x702.png

I like it so much I ordered an 8 pack of cartridges off Amazon. Big increase in price from the Dorco razor's I've been using..they clog too much and generally shave like crap after 4-5 shaves.

PatrickA51, kjbarth and Douglas Carey like this.
  2. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Actually, safety razors are EXTREMELY popular here. Cartridge razors not so much. You have to realize that cartridge razors are just a subset of safety razors, which include pretty much anything other than straight razors, shavettes and electrics.

3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Can't say I have tried the razor. There is also a section of the forum dedicated to cartridge razors. Might want to ask over there also. Even though the majority of users here tend to be DE, SE or straight/shavette razor wet shavers some still use carts especially when they have to travel.
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/forums/cartridge-razors.31/

PatrickA51, Lancre, kjbarth and 2 others like this.
  4. Dan The Man

Dan The Man New Member

Thanks guys. I just assumed every one was into straight edge razors here. Did I use the term cartridge razor wrong? I thought safety and cartridge were interchangeable.

PatrickA51, kjbarth and Douglas Carey like this.
  5. Mark Tyers

Mark Tyers Member

Safety razors cover all non-straight razors. Cartridge razors encompass the safety razors that come in pre-packaged plastic frames such as the Mach3 and Skinguard.

Classic safety razors include vintage ones such as the Gillette Slim Adjustable as well as modern razors such as the Merkur Futur. These take a double edged blade such as ones packaged as Gillette Silver Blue. There are also single edge safety razors such as the Ever Ready razor.

Hope that clears things up, and yes I do have all of the above (except the cartridge razors)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

All cartridge razors are safety razors, but not all safety razors ar cartridge razors. Most of the posters here are into double edge (e.g. Muhle R41, or Gillette SuperSpeed) or single edge (e.g. Schick Injector, or Gem) safety razors along with a number of straight edge razor fans. We also keep cartridge razors on hand for flying or those days when you're in a real rush.

If you're into cartridge razors only, at the top of this Safety Razor forum, you'll find a section dedicated to cartridge razor use.

PatrickA51, Dan The Man and kjbarth like this.
  7. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I received a Gillette SkinGuard razor as a free sample when Gillette first brought them to market. I have tried it once and consider it a vast improvement to their other cartridge type shavers. It does not clog so easily and the blade is very sharp. IT is also very easy to use. I don't think the Ingrown hair and razor burn issues would be a problem with the SkinGuard razor as it does not shave as close as their multi blade cartridge models. You would have to work hard to nick yourself. IMHO it is probably the smoothest, less trouble causing cartridge razor they have come up with so far. Actually I like it. Still way more expensive to use full-time compared to using a DE razor and blade. Also IMHO I wold consider it a very nice and safe to use travel razor. How many shaves one can get from a cartridge I can't even guess as I have only used the SkinGuard razor once.

8. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Walked thru the shaving supplies at the Giant Pharmacy one day wondering what I would buy if I was out of town, having forgotten to bring shaving gear.

This is what I came up with.

I could get by with it.

20190615_095902-1.jpeg

PatrickA51 and Dan The Man like this.
  9. Mark Tyers

Mark Tyers Member

My choice would be a Gillette Guard 50p, a shaving stick 75p, a cheap brush £2 and a small tub of Prorazo pre-shave £4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PatrickA51 and Edison Carter like this.
  10. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I like your choices. Unfortunately supermarket selections in CONUS are sometimes more limited.

I think the Gillette guard is an attempt to offer a product that is less likely to cause problems like the 5 blade jobs it borrows the handle from can. It was not cheap, even on sale. I like it better than the Mach III, but I'd be surprised to see it survive the test of time.

I use foams at home once in a while when I am in a hurry. I like to hit them with water and use a brush.

PatrickA51 and brit like this.
  11. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I have one of these Gillette SkinGuard Razors. I like it, I also like their shave cream in a can. I use mostly Williams Shave soap. I use the Gillette sensitive shaving cream also.

Dan The Man and Edison Carter like this.