Gillette British no.80 set 1961

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dangermouse, Dec 11, 2019.

1. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

I´m wrong with the 1958 date. The earliest #80 set what I´ve seen, comes with "F1" blades, so it´s maybe from 1960. I have correct my site.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  2. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I realize that I was just passing on the back round info. I've been trying to run down it's beginning for several years. I like to know history with all my razors. One thing the seller did not make it up. That reference to the "TV Special" does not appear to be isolated. I suspect the Brit " TV Special" moniker may have it's beginning from over there as I've seen it discussed on a Brit site in 2016, I just talked to a guy at a Brit forum that's claims to have had one in the same case as I have. Here at SD it was mentioned back in 2008 by Rocket Man. Last month four of them were sold (w/different type cases) under than name by a Brit on a sister USA shave forum. So it appears that label has been out there for quite awhile. The Brit TV Special may just be figment of imagination or a razor that has found it's home in a multitude razor cases (Traveler Deluxe for one) that further confuses the matter. I do agree the ad showing the #80 set is the best evidence I've seen so far of the razor being sold in the main stream. BTW here is a pic the guy from the UK sent me. This is the razor he formerly owed and he referred to as the Brit TV Spec. 1958%20British%20TV.jpg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

to find a brit late 50s gillette salesman's catalogue would be awesome ,if one ever existed.or any for that matter..

preidy and dangermouse like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The No. 80 set and the Deluxe Traveller set used the #66 Aristocrat head.

Just adding the info to the thread.

dangermouse, brit and preidy like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

is that head different to the earlier diamond plate rocket head?

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yes, the polishing and plating is better. But no, it is the same underlying base metal head.
    The No. 58 Aristocrat Jr. Shares the same #22/#66 head.

Edit: the No. 66 is considered to be the mildest of the British aristocrat heads. The head difference between the early jrs. and rockets was more dramatic, since the jrs. used the milled baseplate of the earlier aristocrats, and the rockets used the stamped baseplates.

brit likes this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

very cool ,thank you..

9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here are a few sets you probably don't see that often or knew the exact set #

Both ads are Australian sourced
    Here are a bunch of British Tech sets including the 4 pc Tech razor.
    Ad from the Age Dec. 3rd 1946
    au1946ad.jpg

Next is for a set called the Gillette A.M. Special sold in 1963. This one was probably a one off set to move the remaining stock of this particular style of razor.
    au1963ad.jpg

Attached Files:

brit likes this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

got all of those except the cased am rocket shaver..44,77,25,26.all sourced from england.