December 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Nov 29, 2019.

?

What's the most decadent item in your den?

1. A really decadent DE - we're talking top of the line, gold plated over the top DECADENT!

10 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. A really decadent straight razor - we're talking top of the line, incredibly DECADENT!

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. A really decadent SE razor - vintage baby and shines like the sun because it's DECADENT!

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  4. A really decadent soap that lathers up like DECADENT whipped cream!

12 vote(s)
    44.4%
  5. A really decadent brush that feels so soft yet makes such DECADENT lather!

12 vote(s)
    44.4%
  6. Cookies, man. I mean seriously - is there anything more DECADENT than cookies??

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  7. Ice cream, man. Seriously. Without DECADENT ice cream - cookies are just hard bread!

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. If it requires a hole punch does it not click into place?

Trigger, PLAla, kjbarth and 2 others like this.
  2. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks Gary!
    tp

Trigger, PLAla, kjbarth and 3 others like this.
  3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

December 14, 2019
    Wolfman WR-1 OC SS
    Feather
    Thater Synthetic
    A&E Dirty Ginger
    Shave Soap & Aftershave

[​IMG]

I decided to change up things a bit and went with the Thater Synthetic. The brush is a lathering making machine but the tips are not as soft as my other synthetic. The "Dirty Ginger" scent is hard to describe but it reminds me of a tropical bar or tropical drink with rum and ginger. The scent does have a floral component that could be the tobacco flower. My wife even comment how she liked the scent while I was shaving. Three passes and touch ups ended with the baby in the house. A splash of the matching aftershave left me smelling good. I hope everyone has a great Saturday.

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

One of mine works great without the hole punch and stays very tight just on friction. The other is very loose that way and requires a hole punch to click into place. I'll modify one and take pictures of the steps.

5. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Niiice, Clint!

Trigger, PLAla, kjbarth and 2 others like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

fantastic shave and pic Clint,good morning..

7. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Testing updates......

I've been following along here as best I can right now but making time to contribute is more of a challenge.

Just want to say, I really do appreciate all you guys.

Supply Single Edge

For me, this tool with the Schick Proline just rocks it to the foundation. Just a wonderful setup to use. I only bought the standard 2 dot plate cause by concensus it is fave.

I wanted to get one for my brother as a Christmas gift, but really hated the initial blade offering and was afraid he might not pursue options like me.

Well the new blades from Supply are about on a par with China Schicks. 5 decent shaves was good enough for me to place an order. All the new ones come with 3 plates. I'll give him some Prolines too.

20191214_085638.jpeg

Artist Club style blades for my Feather DX folder.

I ordered 2 Sampler packs from tryablade.com that have 1 of each of the items they stock. I think Dorco is the only one missing. They got lost in the mail and I didn't have patience to wait so I got packs of the Pro & the Pro Super. I do not think that I have ever used anything with a more capable edge than the Professional Supers on the first shave, but they die fast. On another front I am comparing longevity against a couple of 1/2 DE shavette offerings.

When my replacement samplers arrived I was very intrigued by the guarded blades and did some research. The technology of jacketing a blade edge with a hole punched structure was from the Personna folks when they were owned by Philip Morris in the late 60's. Personna currently markets Bump Fighter single blade cartridges using this technology and targets men who have been particularly plagued with ingrown hairs and razor bumps caused by multiple blade cartridges. The stated total thickness of the guard structure in the patent settled in around .008". A coating or film were applied as part of the structure to increase slip. Basically the design holds the cutting edge back.

I am still testing the various offerings of this type blade on the DX blade holder. The Kai version has a higher concentration of these bridges across the blade than the Feather the made it feel a little more rough, but shaves were very close with a slight favor to the Feather on shave 1.

Feather also offers a 'Softguard' that I need to test yet. It uses a slightly different designed guard.

20191214_085937.jpeg

Bottom line.......

I was very surprised at how close a shave can be had with a guarded blade. The Feather Proguard was quite remarkable. The combination of ultra-smoothness and sharp reminded me of a very well honed straight.

For those who have, or want to pick up one of the low cost Artists Club knockoffs to 'dip a toe' into the 'Dark Side', 'guard type' blades are Max Headroom approved.

It is still possible to draw some blood, as I found out when I got a little sloppy, use the same parameters of caution for any edge forward shaving device.

I will be going thru all my samples to evaluate performance and try to guage some life expectancies.

8. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Nice shave Clint!
    The DC scent sounds nice!
    tp

9. brit

brit in a box

cool shave and review Bill..

10. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks for the post Bill.
    Very interesting to say the least!
    tp

Trigger, Edison Carter, PLAla and 4 others like this.
  11. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Terrific review, Bill!

Trigger, Edison Carter, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Modifying a Gem blade for OneBlade .

1: start with Gem blade in the wrapper

[​IMG]

2: remove the spine. I use a pair of pliers and squeeze gently at the back The spine will pull off know

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3: I use a handheld 5/32” hole punch. The trick is to widen the cut out above to match the feather blade. I’ve found getting as far in and as close to the wrapper works.

[​IMG]

4: You can see that the cut outs line up with the feather blade.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. MrDaniel's

MrDaniel's Well-Known Member

Great shave, Joseph!
    Nice one, Clint! The soap sounds good.
    Excellent review, Bill!

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you guys.

Trigger, PLAla, kjbarth and 4 others like this.
  15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great reviews Bill. Thanks for taking the time to post them up.

16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank you Terry.

Trigger, PLAla, jluc and 3 others like this.
  17. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Great picture and setup Terry.

18. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:cool: picture and line up Daniel.

19. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you so much, Clint. Pliers and hole punch in hand.

20. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.