The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Yes...soothing when it happens, but there's a lot of pressure prior to the moment :).

2. Paul Turner

The Kong is a nominee in the 2020 Stoylin Tony Awards. Your commentary on it will help the one-man staff(me)in deciding the winner&runner up.

3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Thank you! The Kong brush is certainly a winner.

4. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

DA8AEF2E-7B54-47A8-9556-0E2A93C3498B.jpeg

December 13 SOTD:

Razor: Gillette Sheraton
    Blade: Voskhod
    Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
    Lather: Stirling Sandalwood
    Aftershave: Stirling Sandalwood

5. Rib

Rib Well-Known Member

I have now used my new shave bowl from Stirling twice; the first time I used a Silvertip 24mm brush with a loft probably in the 57-60 range and while nothing really was bad it just didnt seem to blow me away. Something I actually attribute to the brush as I am feeling this one is a little too floppy. Still was able to work up a nice lather and it certainly wasnt a bad experience.

Now, the second go round I used Stirling's boar brush and WOW! I whipped up a mean lather in record time! Couple things here; first of all I'm starting to love using this boar brush as it seems to just be a real effective lather builder even though I do still find it a little rough on the face. Secondly, those nubs in the bottom of the bowl worked fantastic at pulling out the lather and just agitating everything into perfection. I really was extremely impressed with the second run.

I am awaiting the 24mm 53mm loft two band high density brush, suppose to arrive Monday. If all my wishes come true it will have the pillow softness of my silvertip and the lather building perfection of my boar brush! fingers crossed!!

6. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

Amen! Those bowls are regular lather-blasters--haven't had a bad batch of lather from one yet.

From here on out, anybody I get into wet-shaving is getting one of these bowls (already have a couple for my oldest sons).

7. Paul Turner

Over the next couple weeks, you'll see a lot of Stoylin soap work from me. That might include a Stoylin shave on the morning of the Tony Awards Best-In-Show..we'll see.

ezlovan, Frijolero, brit and 3 others like this.
  8. Paul Turner

In fact, @john zeiger , one of them will be.......are you sitting down?.....Blood on Steel :).

9. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

:bounce017:

10. Paul Turner

Well now, my goodness me, Mr. Cawtuh, I forgot to ask YOU if you were sitting down, too :). Yes..gonna put BoS to work. Like I said, going with the same setup for just two days allows me to use each one more often.

11. brit

brit in a box

just 2 days Paul? ;)

12. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Yeah! Way to go Paul! I'm thinking of picking up some more BoS (Tsuka) along with one of those shave bowls. I've been exclusively a face latherer but those bowls look too cool.

13. john zeiger

Just ordered 2 Tsuka A/S's, one soap and a bowl. Now I'm done. No brush for a while :).

14. john zeiger

I've never used a bowl before so I need some advise. How much soap do you suggest starting with?

ezlovan, Edison Carter and Frijolero like this.
  15. timabababaluka

Parts of my face are stupid-sensitive, so a year ago I started lathering all my shave sticks using a bowl instead. Turns out there is a pretty high correlation between the amount of touch time my face gets, and the irritation I feel.

Bowl shaving has helped immensely. Bowl shaving with the collapsible silicone bowl makes it even more enjoyable: quick lather, no clanking, and slim, hangable profile for putting away. Don't know if I'll ever stop geeking out about this bowl.

16. Paul Turner

That's right, Gary. I find now that after 2 days with the same shave, I'm saying "All right. NEXT!".

17. brit

brit in a box

fair enough.i am there after one..but my rotation dictates that at present..

18. timabababaluka

@john zeiger

With a Kong brush, I'll load from a shave stick for 20-30 seconds--light pressure. Usually enough lather for three passes if I choose to. Once loaded, the nubs make it quick and easy ;)

19. Paul Turner

I'm probably in the minority for going as much as 2, because I don't read many shave descriptions in here that say something like "Came back with.......Repeated With..."(other than mine).

20. Paul Turner

John I bet you put in that order the second you finished your congratulatory post to me :).