Preshave gel: increases comfort, decreases closeness?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by MaxG, Apr 24, 2019.

1. mrbaho

mrbaho Member

I have started to use Stirling's mentholated pre-shave soap while preparing my normal shave soap. It is very slick and lubricates while giving some coolness to the shave.

BigD and brit like this.
  2. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

I am a big fan of PAA’S cube Preshave Soaps and believe it has had a positive effect on the closeness of my shaves. It adds to the slickness of the soap I use and seems to lessen the number of passes needed for a BBS.

brit, BigD and b1hart like this.
  3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

My "pre-shave" item is always done in the shower...any of a select group of Men's Body-washes. Some are in gel form, others look like leaking chalk. But they all provide great comfort to set things up for the shave.

brit likes this.
  4. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Many head shavers who shave in the shower by feel use conditioner.

brit and MR41 like this.
  5. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

It's been my experience that just a washcloth beard soak with hot tap water to hydrate beard works best for me. For many pre-shaves may work but I've tried pre-shaves and for me are no better than water. A good lubricating soap like Cella or Arko (bowl pressed) is a great cushion between blade and skin, the hot tap water softens and hydrates the beard, a good soap cushions, keeps beard hydrated and slickens the shave.
    On a side note, I've noticed that with some soaps, if not rinsed off thoroughly will cause me some irritation.

brit and MR41 like this.