The wall

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by RaZorBurn123, Dec 17, 2019.

1. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Hey friends,
    Next year will mark my 7th year of traditional wet shaving, having bought enough shaving related goods in this time for a small City to enjoy.
    I've come to the point where the latest release of a winter soap/aftershave does nothing for me, matter of fact I probably have a dusty soap/aftershave that smells pretty darn close to the newest and greatest version.
    I no longer search eBay or other related websites for the bargain of the day. Have you hit the wall?
    Happy holidays! :santa
    Kerry

2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I’m still buying and trying but my acquisition pace has slowed quite a bit. Most of the trying is from the current stockpile.

I probably only cruise eBay once a week instead of once a day.

I still haunt antique and second hand stores but not just for shaving stuff.

Seems like a lot of things I pick up are to give away.

I haven’t hit the wall but it could be just over the horizon.

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Indeed. Now the challenge is actually finishing all the stuff you have. A puck of soap lasts a long time.

I do get motivated to buy a razor now and again if I see something I like. I just bought my first brush since March of 2014.

4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Five years ago when I started down the rabbit hole I would have sworn there was no wall. But, I do believe I'm there, or very close to it. I always was a bit more on the minimalist side of things but the 30DC crew managed to enable me to go beyond my intentions at times. No regrets at all. But, I don't see myself adding anything new at this point unless it's an LE of some sort as they occur. Soap-wise I plan to eliminate the "off brands" that I have accumulated. All good soaps, just not among my top three so I'll be thinning the herd there. DE-wise I have four Gillette adjustables including a Toggle. A few other favorites in that category. The SE collection is wide enough for my likes at this point and my straights are 99% pain sticks and I'm fine with that. Never could get into the whole stropping thing. Brushes - eh.....maybe a brush or two as I go along but I love my collection of custom mades. Four @Jayaruh beauties, three beauties from @jtspartan , a Wolf Whiskers and the I*V10 Mesquite handle with the hybrid knot. I'm a happy camper.

It's fun to watch the newbies and all of their wide-eyed wonder at the cool stuff. I can live vicariously through them. Makes me feel like a proud papa. :cool:

5. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I started in the Spring of '18 and was able to acquire the razors that interested me fairly quickly. Not being one for soaps and brushes, I spent my funds on some great examples of circa 1930's era Gillette, Schick, and other makers. Once turning to the GEM line I was able to find those of interest for little investment quickly. Then is was time to move to shavettes and straights. I did my research and settled on the folding Feather SS. For straights my interest was Sheffield, German, and American made. Even then I didn't have that much invested even with honing materials. As a result, I never came close to hitting a wall. Being an ex marathoner, I do understand the concept.

I've essentially done the same with fountain pens of interest. I now have 11 total and most of them I restored for little investment.

Perhaps my secret is to plan and decide in advance where my interests lie and only pursue those of interest. I mean, I don't think I have a secret or some special discipline or anything.

6. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

I am only one year into the rabbit hole, so far around 30 straights ( one arriving tomorrow so 31) and around 10 DE's, usual selection of hone stones and films, maybe 15 soaps, and 6 or 7 strops...thats counting my balsa, and felt ones, I have a leather for dia spray but im gonna change that over to the felt and get the leather one back to fresh leather only, 2 travel strops (Why ?) Those are shorties.
    So I really only just have my head in the hole...I am worried for my future finances :(

7. brit

brit in a box

i finally finished collecting my british gillette collection since starting with gillette shaves just over 3 years ago..there is still the odd one i may procure but they are just examples of ones obtained already..maybe a soap /aftershave set as the pile dwindles but we'll see.

RaZorBurn123, kjbarth, Terry and 5 others like this.
  8. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

I started with the idea of hitting the wall immediately. I've imposed some strict limitations to keep out of the rabbit hole--revolving door (new thing in, old thing out).

Still... even after 7 years, I always seem to see a low-cost something that might take my set up to the next level. That and soap scents; is there a scent out there that might replace one of my top-three's?

So yes, I'm at the wall. But I'm always peering over the thing ;)

9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm not sure I'd call it a wall. I too have slowed down, but now I find myself giving much of my collection away and not even missing it. I continue to build and restore, but at a far reduced pace. Mastering any particular razor over time gives me greater satisfaction than acquisitions.

:eatdrink047:

10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I am brushing up against the wall. This year I purchased just one brush and two straights. The straights were both custom orders, one was ordered last year and delivered this year, the second one I ordered this year and will be delivered next year. There are only 2 or 3 straights that if I find them in the right condition and price I will go for. I will be selling some next year and winnow down the herd.

For brushes I have no interest in buying another brush and here again I will try to sell a few next year.

For software I have years and years of soaps but as far as replacing them when the are done I have narrowed that group down to small set. Aftershaves I will stick with Speick AS and ASB, Fine AS, Luck Tiger AS and Proraso AS.

So I would say my stock of shaving stuff will be decreasing a little next year.

11. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

My acquisition pace is slow, but only because of a desire to maintain personal solvency!

:cool:

12. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

LOL! My mind went to the wrong "Wall". When I think I have had enough, I see something I covet. Odd hobby we have.

13. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I’m now a little over 5 years into it, and I hit that wall last year. I don’t see myself picking up any new razors or brushes, but I will likely purchase a soap or two since my inventory is slim in that regards.

I have a combination of 44 DEs, SEs, injectors and straight razors in the den and I’ve thinned it down. I’ll be doing another thinning in 2020.

I’ve settled on about 10 razors that really work for me and I will be keeping. I’m done experimenting and it’s time to settle down, but it’s been great fun getting here.

RaZorBurn123, brit, RyX and 5 others like this.
  14. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Someone has said that if your love is only to possess, it is not love. While I think this applies more broadly to relationships, I do think its applicable in collecting and why after the acquisition there remains little satisfaction. However, if you couple collecting with an intangible, the satisfaction can remain. For example, some like the history of the brand or the history of the country of origin. This allows the owner to view the object as a piece of history. I'm sure other intangibles exist. I would think the skill development of being able to sharpen and use a straight razor can be considered an intangible. However, even then you see men acquire a pile of honing stones.

RaZorBurn123, brit, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  15. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

I love the history of all my razors, most are vintage and some quite beat up looking...but as long as they shave well I will keep them, the nice pristine ones I see are great, I have a few nice ones too but in my heart I have a soft spot for vintage, it makes me wonder who and how many people have used it before me, and in what conditions they had to shave in...probably a cold corner of the kitchen because outside toilets were the main thing in big cities. My latest acquisition is hardly vintage but made in 1970, coming up for 50 years old and looks great (it is a DE) my birth razor, a Gillette Slim also looks and shaves great....most if not all of my straights are the same regarding shaving ability, tho I have not got one yet that I could not hone..well apart from a nr wedge which fergiebilly fixed for me...It is my only wedge and will be my last, im not keen on em, mostly coz of my technique is crap...I will persevere tho...my apologies for this rant...gone a tad off topic :(

16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I have, with regard to shavesoaps....for a while anyway. I know, I know....I need to lose the "for a while anyway".

RaZorBurn123, brit, Jim99 and 4 others like this.
  17. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I hit the wall a while back. I went to London a few months back and while I visited the shave shops, I didn't buy anything from shave Mecca.

Enrico, RaZorBurn123, brit and 9 others like this.
  18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I'm there, although I'll occasionally pick up something that strikes my fancy. I'm happy mastering the tools I have (always get a kick out of learning something new from my friends here), using up the consumables I've purchased (it takes awhile), and gifting items to newbies and helping them get started.

I've got a nice rotation of razors and brushes that I enjoy using, a handful of top performing soaps that will last several years, and a lifetime supply of blades. I've been into traditional shaving for about seven years. My acquisition frenzy slowed down, and I eventually started thinning down my Den 2 or 3 years ago. I've sold a couple of items (I dislike selling stuff), but otherwise I've given away much more than I've kept.

It has and continues to be a fun and challenging ride. More importantly, I've had the pleasure of meeting some wonderful folks and learning new things along the way. :happy088:

19. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    It'll be six years soon and I have hit the wall on multiple occasions, only to bounce off and head off in another direction. Not sure where my compass is at this moment...:signs002:

BigD, S Barnhardt, Enrico and 8 others like this.
  20. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

I'm bad about doing that myself on things, especially collecting. As I sit here at my desk and look out over my "office", there are a number of likes and/or hobbies that I pick up and run with when the mood hits.

TSD canstockphoto23751162 (1).jpg

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    RaZorBurn123, Jim99 and wristwatchb like this.