What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

4FC27558-8D20-46C9-B4EF-623E99672EF7.jpeg

Part deux of the 3-stone comparison (details in the honing thread), the stone in the lower left still wins, albeit by very little. Soap was 3P lathered with a Simpsons 59, ASB was ABC Tobacco Verde. I am a smoooth operator this morning, the razors shaved really well in spite of the overall initial condition of them.

Jayaruh, Tanuki, Billyfergie and 9 others like this.
  2. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Beautiful color combination, and that razor is impressive! :eatdrink047:

3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Thursday shave with a big Friodur, she is 8/8 full hollow and bit longer than all my other razors. This is the first shave after being touched up on a Gokyumo 20k followed by 50k and 100k diamond paste. She had a laser sharp edge and was making a racket while I shaved. Amazingly this razor does not flex at all.

IMG_7819.jpeg

Jayaruh, Tanuki, Billyfergie and 9 others like this.
  4. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Friodurs are fantastic shavers, Keith! An 8/8 Friodur is pretty rare and yours is great looking!

Karl G, oscar11, Billyfergie and 4 others like this.
  5. Keithmax

Thank you. When I found a 8/8 and no stabilizer I jumped at the chance to buy it. It is an excellent shaver.

6. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

C837ACC3-6C69-42FD-8224-76EB344351C7.jpeg

Final test of the two foreground hones in my last honing post, this time I swapped razors on the stones and re-finished them because the results before weren’t quite what I expected, the orangish stone’s edge wasn’t quite what the other edge was even though I’ve had the orangish stone for a long time and know it to be excellent, especially on hard steel. So today’s result? A tie, which is what I expected before based on using both stones on a variety of razors. Maybe I pooched one edge before, maybe I didn’t get one Monkey quite as ‘there’ as the other one, who knows, certainly not a difference in razors especially considering Gold Dollar’s impeccable QC. ‘Cough, cough’.

Soap was SMN lathered with a Rooney 3/3 with the atomic bloom, and some SMN tobacco toscano body cream made for a great finish, BDBS once again.

7. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Just got these three in, seller’s edges passed the shave test with flying colors. Lea menthol cream plus a friend’s soap lathered nicely with my vintage Ever-Ready.
    Zebra Brand, Blue Steel (German?), Union Cutlery Co. Spike
    442A7343-DDD7-4616-B490-EA3555234BC7.jpeg
    E695F98B-B3F2-41AF-A674-4E354C11FA3B.jpeg

8. Keithmax

TGIF with my Wacker Huntsman

IMG_7820.jpeg

9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

First shave with newly acquired Della Bella. Very hollow grind. Very close, audible shaver. I think this will be my “Sunday Shaver”

4AA8B252-9C4D-4C4A-9928-BF26A5A82C0C.jpeg

10. brit

brit in a box

cool razor..

11. TestDepth

First go with a Ralf Aust...
    It did take a little honing gymnastics to get a good bevel in the middle 1/3, but it took a very comfortable edge after figuring that out.
    4E6D6008-4413-4C41-ACF8-12FEDFCF87BD.jpeg
    I really enjoy this razor.
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

12. TestDepth

The color seems to be holding up nicely Keith. That razor is definitely a looker. :drool:

Karl G, oscar11, Billyfergie and 4 others like this.
  13. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

I can see why you like the Aust .Both of mine handle well with great balance and take a extremely keen and smooth edge .Enjoy !
    Regards Mike

14. Keithmax

Thank you, the color is holding up perfectly so far.

Karl G, oscar11, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Thanks!

16. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Shave #53 with the Filly Sub Cero edge longevity test. Still going strong. Soap was 3P lathered with a Simpsons 57, I was in a bit of a holiday mood, so the ASB was the always great and great smelling I Coloniali Rhubarb balm. BBS shave, and them some.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Karl G, Billyfergie, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  17. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Francisque Delolme Le Thiernois

DSC04326.jpeg

18. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Wacker Chevalier
    Wickham English Rose
    homemade brush-Russian Olive handle, big Omega knot

I think this is my favorite configuration for a brush. The knot isn't broken in yet as I only did a couple of hand lathers prior to the shave. Have a good one.
    [​IMG]

19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Saturday Straight's Shave
    [​IMG]

Cold Water Rinse
    Vintage Life Licorice Shave Soap
    Jayaruh #41
    H. Böker 5/8
    CWR
    Aqua Velva Musk

My prep was just a cold water rinse. The Vintage Life Licorice Shave Soap face lathered well with Jayaruh #41 Brush. I did two passes and a cleanup with the H. Böker 5/8 razor and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Aqua Velva Musk After Shave. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

87266E13-641D-4DCD-98F8-778AB7195842.jpeg

Henckels Friodur 14, cream was AdP with the Colonia scent as was the ASB. Perfect BDBS and smelling like AdP Colonia. A spritz of the EdT added a little longevity. This is a hard shave to beat.

b1hart, DaltonGang, Keithmax and 13 others like this.