Smoothest Safety Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Moose, Apr 16, 2019.

1. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

I really like my Vector, but still find the stacked blade Shake Sharp to be superior. The difference for me is in the smoothness of the shave, Jeff. There are three razors tied for second place. The Vector, the RazoRock SS Lupo, and the Colonial Silversmith. I’ve heard that version 2 of the Colonial General is supposed to be every bit as good as the Vector. Just didn’t feel the need to buy it. I have a LaResche #77 in the mail. It’s supposed to be an incredibly smooth shave according to the French razor buffs over at B&B. After 50 yrs with my trusty Schick Krona, I've been having a great time. Thank you for sharing your experience and insights. It’s much appreciated.

Jeff

Edison Carter and jmudrick like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I would encourage you to try the Enders Speed with Proline blade . Very cheap experiment and has kept me from dropping the dime on the Vector.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

jgreenepa likes this.
  3. jgreenepa

I considered an Enders, but was led to understand that there’s a fair bit of jury rigging to get it to work with modern blades. Are you talking about a Proline AC blade or a Proline injector?

4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Injector. No harder than shimming the Shake Sharp

jgreenepa likes this.
  5. jgreenepa

If you remember, I never succeeded at shimming my Shake Sharp. Could never get the razor to latch, thus my use of the stacked blade!

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yes. The only trick to the Enders is having a stock blade to trim the edge off. Fitment with the Proline is then a no brainier

7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

The Enders is a nice razor with the Schick Proline b-20 blade. It's like having your favorite Schick with a open comb safety bar. The only reason I bought a Enders Speed shaver because I had the B-20 blades and the razor is cheap to purchase. I did make a Enders blade carrier (Jayaruh idea) that is reasonably easy to make, after making it becomes easy to install a blade quickly and accurately.
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/blade-carrier-for-enders-speed-shaver.62413/
    [​IMG]
    Ron RWell-Known Member
    Jararuh's blade carrier idea is a excellent idea to revive this old Enders speed razor and now I can use these Schick proline B-20 blades that I was going to use in my injectors after finding they are meant for Shavettes .
    This is my Enders blade Carrier and it works very well. I had to revise my first attempt and the 2nd tweak worked out very well.
    The setting below at .6oo thousands of a inch seems to very nice on the aggression scale of 1-10, I would give it a 5-5.5 and it seems to be a sweet spot for myself.

1 st- thought better take some quick measurements before I blunt the only Enders blade I have, it came with the Enders speed razor. [​IMG]

2nd- I figured I would scribe a reference line on both sides of the old Enders blade if I decide to make a 2 sided carrier. [​IMG]

3rd - I had some JB Weld Marine grade appoxy from fixing other razors over the last year. What I did is apply the appoxy and scraped the excess off and let it dry for 1.5 hrs and then carefully lift blade out of its slightly gelled state starting at one end and lifting . [​IMG] [​IMG]

The setting For new blade exposure width was factoring into wear and age and doing a preliminary test of blade exposure with the old blade installed in Enders razor and decided to add approx .010 giving me a width of new blade of .600 +- .001 thousands. [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is what it looks like when finished, B-20 blade is still a tight fit in the razor but with a little filing of high spot in corner of razor receiver.(Not a good idea to upset the chrome finish but it is inconspicuous spot and the razor is useless with out a sharp blade edge). [​IMG] The front edge has been blunted back approx 1/16 of a inch.
    I also did a revision 2 on the blade carrier and that was also easy to implement.
    Enders 1.11 (2).jpg this also secures the blade a little better IMO.

Had a couple of shaves already and it gives a nice shave with results in the CCS,DFS,BBS range with not much for blade chatter and that was surprising for me. Once the carrier is made it's a simple task to install the blades, I left the other side of carrier blank for now and might make a less aggressive version but this setting is very workable with stellar results.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    brit and Edison Carter like this.
  8. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

I think mine is my blue tip.

brit likes this.
  9. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you like the Merkur 34c, which I just purchased as my first DE. I started with Astra Superior Platinum blades and will be experimenting.

brit likes this.
  10. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

Since starting this thread I purchased a Rockwell 6c and have enjoyed it. It has been my daily driver for the last couple months. I need to take the 34c for spin though. That was my first purchase too. Great razor. Hope you enjoy it!

brit likes this.