Barbasol Brotherhood

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Bama Samurai, Jul 3, 2016.

1. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

:happy088:

2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I believe the Century Can has the same cream as what was created in 1919. Would I be right?

AGHisBBS and ilts like this.
  3. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Sunday's Barbasol Shave 12/22/19 DSCF4302.JPG

Ursa, AGHisBBS, Paul Turner and 2 others like this.
  4. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

The original Barbasol was a brushless, latherless cream similar to Burma Shave. The Barbasol Therapeutic cream that is sold today in a squeeze tube is a re-creation of the first Barbasol.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  5. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

...and as with Burma Shave, the original non-lather Barbasol once came in a distinctive jar that's easy to find on eBay. I oughtta get one for my Shave Den.

Paul Turner and ilts like this.
  6. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Saturday's Barbasol Shave 12/28/19 DSCF4320.JPG

7. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Sunday's Barbasol Shave 01/05/20 DSCF4342.JPG

BigD, AGHisBBS, Paul Turner and 2 others like this.
  8. Paul Turner

Barbasol can is set this week for my next cream. Local CVS doesn't have the Century Cans anymore...bad, bad.

9. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Try Walmart Paul, mine still had some. Remember to look way in the back on the shelf because the stockers push em to the back when they replenish it.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

Paul Turner, ilts and AGHisBBS like this.
  10. Paul Turner

Good point Clayton, thanks.

11. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

If you are a vet, try the PX/BX/Ship Store.

12. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Sunday's Barbasol Shave 01/12/20 DSCF4364.JPG

13. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Lots of big changes in my life lately, including a current gig that has me waking up at 5 AM and going to bed around midnight if I'm lucky. It's pretty miserable but it's more important now than ever that I look clean. I've been having a hard time getting out of bed so naturally I'm losing shaving time. That's why I finally decided to give Barbasol a try for when I'm in a rush - the leftover Edge gel that I've been using intermittently for years just never jived with me.

Decided to do a Sunday night shave so that I'm not rushing tomorrow morning - first shave with the Barbasol. I was hoping to find the orange or purple can but I was lucky to even find the green can in stores. I found that it was just a little lacking in slickness compared to my Proraso creams but the lather was otherwise excellent.

The biggest benefit is that it didn't dry my face out like the Edge gel but time will tell if I continue having success with it. Finished up with Proraso green aftershave and then some Proraso aftershave balm, which I should've used in the first place since it's winter and I have dry skin. The green Barbasol/aloe formulation smells very nice and seems to go well with the green aftershave. Good stuff and it will probably become my go-to foam when I don't have time for a proper lather.

AGHisBBS, ilts, BigD and 1 other person like this.
  14. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Good luck with your new job. Try facelathering the Barbasol with your brush, and add a touch of water. That should make your lather a little more slick. For warm lather soak the Barbasol can in your sink basin filled with hot tap water for a few minutes.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

15. Paul Turner

As I wrote in an earlier post, the Pacific Rush and I were never in concert with each other. I may give it another try next summer though.

16. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

You Should:happy088:

Paul Turner likes this.
  17. Paul Turner

Right......I mean, maybe I expected it to be colder than it was. I'll find out what triggered the first reaction.

ilts likes this.
  18. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Applying Barbasol with a brush and adding some water to it really does make it a lot better.

ilts likes this.
  19. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Saturday's Barbasol Shave 01/18/20 DSCF4382.JPG

20. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Sunday's Barbasol Shave 02/16/20 DSCF4465.JPG

BigD and Edison Carter like this.