Owning Multiple Razors?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by FurryFan93, Dec 27, 2019.

1. FurryFan93

FurryFan93 Member

I'm just curious what most would say to answer a question such as this one. I own the Chieftain razor and love it greatly. I'm just curious is it weird to own multiple razors say like 3 razors or even just 2 razors? I'm looking at possibly getting myself one with a nice travel leather case so I can take that 3pc with me instead of taking my chieftain with me on vacation with me soon.

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I don't know your particular razor, but if you want another get it. Between DE and SE razors I probably have about a dozen in total.

Some people have many more, some have less.

Just dont go down the rabbit hole looking for a magic razor as they don't exist.

3. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

As one that has over 100 razors vintage and modern ones. Single and double edge. Go for it it’s all good fun and Welcome there’s Plenty of room Down Here. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

4. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Frankly, there are many who believe that owning only two or three razors is weird. I don't think it's weird to own one or two. You need to do what works for you. I have a cheap razor that I use exclusively as a travel razor. It is a mild shaver, is very inexpensive but delivers a reliably decent shave. I also happen to now have upwards of close to 35 razors. There are plenty of people who have well over 100 razors.

Weekly, timabababaluka, RyX and 3 others like this.
  5. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

I still have my 3 original carts- Gillette Trac II, Atra, and Mach 3 - bought over many years. I recently made the switch to safety and purchased a Merkur 34c, and then quickly decided I couldn't pass up the sale price of the Oneblade Core. I would definitely suggest buying your 2nd one, for travel especially. I'm enjoying my new hobby/passion. Shaving has gone from a chore to something I look forward to.

timabababaluka, gorgo2, RyX and 3 others like this.
  6. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

Nothing weird about owning, any number of razors. What ever makes you happy. At one point, in my sort time wet shaving, I had about 30 razors. Now, I have cut down, to only razors that I will actually, use from time to time and that number is 8 razors. There are 3 that I use most of the time, but every now and again, I pick up one of the others and use it for a few days.

timabababaluka, RyX, brit and 2 others like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

i only owned one or two for almost 35 years.then i started using vintage gillettes.i then decided to build a british gillette collection.at the 60 ish mark but have mint duplicates.pretty much done my razor collecting but glad i have them,and yes i use them all but one nos set.i have a duplicate of that one..

8. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I don’t know @johnnyflake ; every time I’ve publicly mentioned that I own more than 100 razors I get some very strange looks.
    I don’t think it’s weird but apparently other folks do.
    From my perspective I’m thinking it’s weird that the OP would ask the question of our merry band of multiple razor owners.
    Maybe he just needs reassurance.

9. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I had over 90 SE and DE razors last count, about 50 or more razors ago...

I now have a collection, like stamps, but sharper and ..... well, ya know.
    :)
    tp

10. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

I have about 30 straight razors and 10 DE's....no sign of stopping....and I have only been using straights for a year.

11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yes. It is weird. Most people here own way more than two or three razors.

twhite, Tux61, jgreenepa and 7 others like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

:D

jason koonce and johnnyflake like this.
  13. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I was home free once people figured out I was nuts. I can pretty much do anything I want now without having to worry about what other people think. They already know. :)

I'm always amazed to hear what people collect. 100 of most anything in a collection is really not that unusual. For example, I have a good friend that collects vintage wood planes. I'm guessing he has a couple hundred, and has a room dedicated to displaying the ones he's not using. I know others with large knife, watch, gun, etc. collections. I can think of worse things in life, for sure. I love telling folks about my shaving hobby, and it's been the source of some interesting conversations and some eye rolls. Either way, it's OK.

14. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

It's all about managing expectations.

15. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

1.png

Tux61, jgreenepa, RyX and 7 others like this.
  16. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I started with a Gillette Slim, then wanted to try a Schick and then a Gem. After 120 razors later, I'm still looking for more. And if I haven't used them all, I've used at least every type I have.

17. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

What? They aren't really weird looking magic wands?

18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    As far as hobbies go, the entry price point is remarkably low.

My other hobbies over the years include book collecting, Civil War reenacting, airsoft, and paintball. Wet shaving can be a daily hobby, and can be cheap as well.

Reenacting can be quite fun, and ongoing costs are low, but the entry price point can be $1,000+.

Robert1955, jgreenepa, MrEE and 8 others like this.
  19. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Love airsoft, helps keep me busy.

20. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Id say that most people who view shaving as a hobby own multiple razors. I consider myself to be somewhat of a shaving minimalist and even I own several razors. Ive got 2 shavettes, a few traditional straights and a few DEs.
    Some of them I use daily, some of the I have collected because I thought they would be fun and some of them have sentimental meaning to me. A couple of the straights belonged to my wife's father and one of my DEs is my birth year razor.
    I think that whether or not its weird really depends upon how you view wet shaving. If youre in it to save money or just go get a better shave, you may only own 1 or 2 razors because thats all you really need. If you view it as a hobby though, you may want to collect razors for various reasons and have a rotation of gear that you use.

Robert1955, jgreenepa, MR41 and 3 others like this.