The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

looks Like a Great addition. I would have tried to buy it just because of the name lol.

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Two Kamisori razors.
    Azuma. Yasuki Steel
    And an Unknown??

Both need some work done to them. But, I was able to snag them both, for $6.00, on ebay. It had just popped up, and I jumped on them.

PC201222.JPG

Timwcic, Leclec13, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

You have any experience with kamis? Or is this inexpensive bait to draw you down another rabbit hole???

Edison Carter and RezDog like this.
  4. DaltonGang

I have several, and have successfully honed and shaved many times with them. I just couldnt pass on them, for the price.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Steve56, Edison Carter and Spyder like this.
  5. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Scott, I’ve ‘re-ground’ them fairly easily as the omote is soft iron. You cannot of course, replace steel that is no longer there when honing except with tape, but like you say, a cheap one is worth some refurb fun. I used a water bottle with sandpaper wrapped around it. Just try different diameter bottles until you find one that fits the hollow well.

brit and Keithmax like this.
  6. DaltonGang

I've seen one member use an old socket, wrapped in sandpaper.

7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

That would work!

8. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Recently picked up a really nice TI from FB market place for $30. It honed up and is a really sweet hollow ground shaver. I really didn’t like the AoS logo though. ( stock photo. I didn’t take a picture when I got it.)
    C6B002B9-25E4-4FD4-8A40-AFE9D403E0DD.jpeg

Today; I had a few minutes and took care of removing the logo, and was left with a nice polished blade.

A946A012-F73A-4D89-AB7D-B065D5241A25.jpeg

9. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Very nice, quality pickup Keith @Spyder!
    And beauty of a price :eatdrink047:

M14Shooter, Keithmax and Spyder like this.
  10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Very nice Keith, a steal! I like the plain blade too.

TestDepth and Spyder like this.
  11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. FB is hit or miss. I keep checking. Currently there’s a gold dollar for $65 :eek: There’s a Dovo Astrale for $85. I tried to work a deal when they had it listed for $105.

TestDepth, Steve56 and Keithmax like this.
  12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I think that Gold Dollar is on eBay too, 1950s vintage you know. That’s truly amazing since they didd’t start making them until 1996 or thereabouts. Dr Who must have taken it back in the TARDIS.

Keithmax and Spyder like this.
  13. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

My newest razor. Grim blades 6/8 square point razor. Picked up for 10.50. Surprisingly shaves extremely well. I got a shave as good as my kikuboshi

20191225_150033_compress13.jpg 20191225_150028_compress1.jpg 20191225_150102_compress77.jpg 20191225_150058_compress40.jpg 20191225_150046_compress26.jpg

Keithmax, brit, Timwcic and 5 others like this.
  14. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

For Christmas, the dearly loved estrogen units of my home sought to present the sole intact testosterone unit with a very special gift for his hobby. This is what they came up with.

[​IMG]

They found a local bladesmith who had made it to the finals in one of the episodes of 'Forged in Fire' and commissioned him for a custom straight razor.

Together they came up with an attractive piece made from a forge welded layered billet. The scaling is a milled unitized piece of wood & resin. The metal etching reveals the layered steel and my initials.

While it is a personalized prize to be had, I have no intent to try to make it a shaving tool. There design differences in between a knife and a razor, this is closer to a knife in many ways. I think I've heard the term RSO (razor shaped object).

Geometrically a 4/8 wedge. Any edgework by traditional honing methods would/could Mar the decorative etching.

If I thought this piece had the capacity to hold a shaving edge, my gut says using my Edgepro Apex. Prolly won't though.

Shave on!

Keithmax, brit, Timwcic and 8 others like this.
  15. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

That is an awesome gift with great thought!!!! How cool is that! Congratulations Bill.

Edison Carter likes this.
  16. DaltonGang

F.Herder's "45"

This came in, a while back. Just got around to posting it. Looking for some nice scales, to compliment it.

PC291227.JPG

17. DaltonGang

Bone Scales.
    This came in the mail, the other day. Just trying to figure out, what blade to match it with.
    Decisions Decisions Decisions.

PC291228.JPG

18. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I'm sure you can figure something out.

Looks nice to me!

19. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

While those scales may be a little big for the Herder 45, the spade was part of their touch mark. I have in more recent time bought quite a pile of Herder razors without scales, mostly 45’s, and I have to say they are pretty slick looking in pick bone scales.

Also,
    It’s pretty bad ass when the estrogen units buy such a fantastic gift. It is hard to tell unless it is in hand, but if all it winds up being is a display piece, it’s a fantastic display piece.

20. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Quite a few of those herders showing up recently. I came close, but the cheap Dutchman that I am wouldn’t allow me to pull the trigger.

DaltonGang likes this.