A good shaving mug

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by michael54, Dec 29, 2019.

1. michael54

michael54 Well-Known Member

So for my anniversary about 6 years ago my wife bought me a custom ceramic shaving mug. Fast forward to having a child who dropped it last year and some super glue it was still working out. Last night however an errant rubber ball while playing with his new puppy has turned my mug into a million pieces. The one complaint that i had with my old mug is that it was deeper than i really liked. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good quality shaving mug that they like? Pics would be appreciated as well.

2. brit

brit in a box

i like to use the old spice mugs..

3. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

i like to use the old spice mugs..

4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Yep...............

5. brit

brit in a box

:D

John Beeman likes this.
  6. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

How do you like this. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

BigD, Enrico and brit like this.
  7. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

I use and like the Q-Shave Scuttle

brit likes this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

9. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I have a collection of vintage shave soap containers, but I enjoy most repurposing a bone china bowl that I found at a used dishes dealer. I paid $1.

brit and 178-bplatoon like this.
  10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I use an inexpensive Chinese stainless steel bowl I bought off of ebay. Its the same dimensions as the ceramic VDH bowl. It makes lather really well for me, as well as any ceramic bowl, except it's unbreakable which I really like. :happy088:

MacDaDad and brit like this.
  11. michael54

Im thinking my next one will be steel or copper. I have a few of the vdh ones but they currently have pucks of soap in them. It could potentially be my motivation to use all of the soap in one of them

brit likes this.
  12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I have a few OS mugs, but honestly I have just been using old soap or shaving cream containers with a refill puck after finishing them the first time around.

Lancre and brit like this.
  13. michael54

I bought so much when i first got into wet shaving that i think i have only used up one whole puck of a soap lol

PanChango and brit like this.
  14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I went down that path too until I decided to use one soap from start to finish. It helped me see how long a puck will last and put a stop to my impulse soap purchases. A few years later, I am down to 1 case of Arko sticks, 3 pucks of soap, and a few tubes of Proraso. It will probably still be a few more years until I work through everything and get to try some new stuff.

15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

BigD, MacDaDad, brit and 1 other person like this.
  16. cliffb599

Amazon $13.00
    [​IMG]
    Also check EBay never know might find it cheaper.

BigD likes this.
  17. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Get yourself a PAA Travel Scuttle, this thing is virtually indestructible. Leonard Ybarra (YouTube) torture tested it, and even after shooting it with a shot gun it was still usable, albeit rather leaky... Since it's double walled, it actually captured much of the shot pellets between the two layers.

paascuttle.PNG

BigD, MntnMan62, Lancre and 4 others like this.
  18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've actually handled a few of those .... they felt poorly made and produce in China or India. I'm tired of regretting a cheap purchase.

No offense to anyone that enjoys it, I'm just sick of buyer remorse on my part.

:eatdrink013:

cliffb599 likes this.
  19. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Do you have one of these, and what do you use it for? I have two. They are to small/narrow to hold any regular sized puck soap, and much to narrow/tall to try to lather is. The only thing that they are good for is soaking a brush.

If going the Avon route; The Gentlemen's Regiment Mug is a better option. Almost any available puck will fit it. It is tall narrower than the Old Spice Mugs, or Franklin Toiletry Barbershop Mugs.
    Avon.PNG

Then there is always the Franklin Toiletry Barbershop Mugs, that can be had for not to expensive on the Bay...
    barbershopmug.PNG

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    BigD, John Beeman and cliffb599 like this.
  20. cliffb599

I have them both and I soak in the taller one. Then use the smaller one