The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

This is to nice to leave at the flea market, and one I never ran across before. C-Mon #1 Stainless in a handsome condition. It looks like a Blackie, just a different flavor.

349DE250-8BCB-4E06-AB7A-663205B186AD.jpeg 21ECF508-60E4-46E4-A49E-FF2C47E34EDF.jpeg 20D33BF9-2DCC-439A-A105-40407282561C.jpeg 13B2B719-AA27-4A31-A08A-89B86D8D33BB.jpeg

Karl G, Chuck Naill, Keithmax and 9 others like this.
  2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

RezDog, Timwcic and TestDepth like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

Timwcic and TestDepth like this.
  4. Timwcic

Thank you gentlemen. I have seen a Stainless Special but my first No 1 Stainless

5. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

6. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

I bought stacks of them. I recently sold a nice Escher to fund my Herder bender. Many 49’s and 76’s. I’ve also been trying to perfect twin boxes. As soon as I get free time for shop projects, I’ll post something. It’s tough between my job and my family project. All in good time.

Keithmax, Timwcic, DaltonGang and 4 others like this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Just arrived from Belgium, my first Wootz razor from Bruno @Snailforge . This pictures do not do it justice, especially the scales, the scales are mammoth tusk. The blade is 8/8 and half hollow.

ID - 3.jpeg ID - 1.jpeg ID - 2.jpeg

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

TestDepth and Keithmax like this.
  9. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

TestDepth and Keithmax like this.
  10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Now that’s a razor!

TestDepth, Edison Carter and Keithmax like this.
  11. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Very special! Looking forward to hear your thoughts on Wootz. Congratulations Keith.

Edison Carter likes this.
  12. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

Keithmax and TestDepth like this.
  13. Timwcic

I have many SR in my den, nothing newer than the 60’s. If I was to get new production, that would be it. Absolutely beautiful!

14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

C50FF7A2-7D55-4DEE-A246-452A105F2FC8.jpeg

Got this one from a BIN on eBay and lucked out - price was a little high for a non-knowledgeable seller with not-so-good images, but sometimes good razors hide that way, non-knowledgeable folks don’t know what’s important to show in their images of straight razors. There was enough detail in the images that I decided to gamble.

So how did I do? What I got is apparently a NOS E A Berg rattler type, no detectable spine wear at all. It’s functionally an 11/16 or thereabouts. I thought the scales might be a re-scale, but the pins were patinaed (is that a word?), and they have no collars though the scales are certainly not ‘natural material’. What they are became apparent as I was polishing them up with a paper towel and polish, they're hard rubber/ebonite and smelled like it! I’m not sure that I’ve seen a pair exactly like them, note the woman’s head near my thumb - she’s upside down.

No complaints here!

Edit: this blade is marked ‘Sweden’ but not ‘Made in Sweden’, so if my recollection is right, that puts it between 1891 and 1914.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Timwcic, Karl G, jason koonce and 7 others like this.
  15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

He shoots, he scores! Nice pick up.

TestDepth, Edison Carter and Steve56 like this.
  16. DaltonGang

Beauty. :happy096:

TestDepth and Steve56 like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

kjbarth, Keithmax and TestDepth like this.
  18. TestDepth

Always have one eye out for an Army & Navy razor. I have some of the more common - Imperial, Lakeside cutlery, Koken, but didn’t have a Genco... until now. :)
    0C71DA4A-B94C-4EF3-92F5-0135A4CB4AA0.jpeg
    Not the greatest example, but it is the larger 6/8” version with minimal hone wear. It might have had a blued tang, but no remnants on this one.
    14E85E1B-C16B-4593-A4AA-FBE79F8C9FE2.jpeg
    Not embellished on the blade face, just in the tang. I never noticed the “Classified” on the tail, but thought that was a cool touch.
    B4EA8554-0563-4EE5-A64F-3EF84F4A7FF2.jpeg
    Happy hunting and Go Navy!
    Tom

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Timwcic, Keithmax, Karl G and 7 others like this.
  19. DaltonGang

Geneva Cutlery Corp
    Geneva NY. USA
    Full Hollow
    6/8th

I got this for a song. It has been used. But only can tell because of the inside of the scales. Other than that, it looks NOS, and has never touched a stone. Still has the factory bevel on it. It cost around $18 shipped. It is about the pinkest razor I own. It had a 7N inside the pyramid. Unknown if that helps determining the date of manufacture. Any ideas??

P1071231.JPG

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    Timwcic, Keithmax, AGHisBBS and 5 others like this.
  20. TestDepth

So you have more Scott??? :)

I found a 7N inside a pyramid, and looks like a window of late 1910’s to 1934’ish.