Thinking about picking up a Dovo shavette

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Badgerstate, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Lately Ive been thinking about picking up a Dovo shavette. Ive always used either the Feather AC razors or the style that has the 2 halves of the arm and the other smaller locking arm.

Ive been thinking that other than replacing the insert that holds the blade every now and then, the razor itself should pretty much last forever because its all plastic/aluminum/stainless and really has no moving parts to it.

Looking at the reviews on Amazon, Im not sure that I can trust most of them because the gripes seem to be more than people didnt realize that its aluminum and plastic or people who probably arent intelligent enough or coordinated enough to be able to handle loading the blade into a shavette. Its one of those things where you need to take online reviews with a grain of salt, I think.

I guess my question is more for people who have owned it and how long I could expect the inserts to last. Thanks.

Hembree likes this.
  2. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

@Trigger is an avid Dovo shavette user.

Any input Joe?

Hembree likes this.
  3. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Thanks for asking for my input, Bill! @Badgerstate, I have owned and used my Dovo shavette for over 1 year. I have completed 122 shaves with it and I have had only one instance where the red insert for the 1/2 DE blades broke apart due to closing the insert on its crease. I also have used the black and green inserts for the long Dovo 1/2 blades and the Personna hairshaper blades, respectively, without any problems. I have bought multiple inserts so that I can still use the razor. You have to expect that the plastic inserts are going to break due to the wear and tear. Notwithstanding, I get great shaves with it and I recommend it wholeheartedly. Because you have experience with the top tier shavettes, using a Dovo shavette will be cake.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    Hembree and Edison Carter like this.
  4. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

I have a feather SS and a DOVO shavette. My local barber uses the 1/2 DE blade multiple changes daily with dovo shavette, and says he goes usually Goes. Over a year before breaking an insert, I really like the long DOVO blade. Make sure you get some long blades and insert for it. You will need to hurry because I understand they stopped making the blades and prices on them are already are already on upward trend. My only complaint is the new insert for dovo 1/2 DE is clear and is a bit difficult to index without glasses on. I would also suggest to buy the dovo shavette that comes with all 3 inserts. The one I have is very light in hand. It is still my favorite shavette of the few I have tried.

I also have new to me feather SS and currently using the artist club blades..... let’s just say I haven’t quite learned this combo yet. You can really feel the legendary sharpness of the feather blade.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    Trigger and Edison Carter like this.
  5. Badgerstate

Thats, everyone. I ordered the most basic Dovo shavette off of Amazon, I think it was like $26. Well see when it gets here if I like it or not. Ive been using a Parker SRW (with the walnut wood scales) for the past month and I like it but I also sometimes wonder how long the blade locking mechanism will hold up. Every barber seems to use that style of shavette though, so maybe Im overthinking it.
    It seems like the Dovo might be less of a hassle because the replacement inserts are pretty cheap and even if you have to replace them every 6 months, they still arent expensive.
    I do like that the insert on the Dovo covers up the corner of the blade, so you are less likely to cut yourself.

Edison Carter and Trigger like this.
  6. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

@Badgerstate, I am sure that you will find the Dovo shavette quite acceptable. I just want to say that I have read that the metal sleeve sometimes doesn't properly grab the insert. It is quite rare that it will happen. If your shavette does this, then wrap towel around the sleeve and apply an adjustable vise grip to slightly crimp it. You don't want to crimp it too much so that you can't get the insert in or out of the sleeve. The towel prevents any friction marks from the vise.

Edison Carter and Badgerstate like this.
  7. Badgerstate

I've read that. Thank you though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Edison Carter and Trigger like this.