Looking for soap bowl with lid suggestions?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by S Barnhardt, Dec 30, 2019.

1. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

I find myself looking for a source for soap bowls with good, snug-fitting lids.

I would prefer a source that I can go back to, from time to time, to buy more if needed, and they look the same.

@Jayaruh I saw where you, I think it was you, had used ramekins and made lids for them. That was a nice look and is probably what got me to this idea. So, thanks for planting that seed in my mind. If the rest of you guys have seen what he did, that's my goal, in neatness and conformity.

I'm not locked into the wood over stoneware say, or plastic over wood, etc. Just something that will look decent, substantial enough to last, able to be gotten again down the road and doesn't break the bank.

Is that too much to expect? I don't know. I hope not.

So, I would like to hear your suggestions for places to look at. Meanwhile, I will be looking.

:thanks:

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  3. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

brit likes this.
  4. mrbaho

mrbaho Member

RyX, brit and Enrico like this.
  5. Dirtfarmer

Dirtfarmer Well-Known Member

I went extra cheap. I went to Dollar General and got a pack of Rubbermaid storage bowls with lids for like a buck. It works, they stack well and the lids fit real tight. Depends on how fancy you want to get and how much you want to spend.

wristwatchb, RyX and brit like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    By far, the most popular D.I.Y. soap containers are the ikea grundtal spice containers.
    https://www.ikea.com/sg/en/p/grundtal-container-stainless-steel-20176376/

They are popular with many shavers on all the shaving forums.

Edit: my personal tastes run more to loose fitting lids, to allow the soap to dry between uses. So I use round ceramic jewelry boxes or medium round wooden (bowl) boxes made from thuja wood. Plisson's soap bowls are a good example of this style of box.

Medium round thuja bowls are about $20-25 ea.
    The ceramic bowls are about $5 each for plain white or vintage.

If you really want to go extreme, vintage shave cream jars are where it's at. Expect to pay well north of $100 for good examples. Pottery collectors are the guilty parties here. I'll admit to having a few of those. The Holy Black is the only company other than Mitchell's Wool Fat to use an "inspired by" these kind of bowls.
    antique-ceramic-original-ca-1890-95_1_058bb1b611e6541d6dfc5b327a3d16f6.jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    RyX and brit like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

awesome..

PLANofMAN likes this.
  8. Jesseix

Jesseix Active Member

I really like these too other than the fact that they have that ridge on the inside. It makes the opening just a little bit smaller for when you're loading your brush and lather gets caught up under there... at least if that's the same one that I'm thinking of (the style that Catie's Bubbles uses).

9. Daywalker

Daywalker Active Member

RyX likes this.
  10. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Jesseix and Primotenore like this.
  11. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

Dollar tree sells metal round tins with lids and you get 2 for a buck they come in different sizes and some have a magnet on bottom and some don't.