Gillette to release NEW DE razor for the holidays

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jaro, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've found that the new Gillette gives my trusty Merkur 34c HD serious competition. Both are in the low end of the medium range on the aggressiveness scale (4 on 1-9 scale), both can tackle multiple days' worth of whisker growth, and both are easier on the skin. Until now, I would've recommended the Merkur 34 as one's starter razor. Now it's a toss-up between that and the new Gillette.

Jim99 and cliffb599 like this.
  2. WhyAreYouMe

WhyAreYouMe Active Member

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FF44M1H/?tag=thshde-20
    King C. Gillette Safety Razor with Chrome Plated Handle and 5 Platinum Coated Double Edge Safety Razor Blade Refills

Description
    The pinnacle of over a century's worth of innovation and expertise, and the only range that bears the name of our company's founder: King C. Gillette. This safety razor for men is an iconic design inspired by our heritage, for edging with ultimate precision, classic function and style. A single Platinum coated double edged safety razor blade shapes with precise accuracy, ideal for edging sideburns and strong beard lines to help you achieve your perfect look. Our closed comb head design, perfected a century ago, allows for great control, while the high-quality chrome plated handle ensures long-lasting durability. Includes 5 Platinum coated stainless steel double edged razor blades for a precision finish and lasting durability. How to insert a new blade: first, hold the razor upside down, unscrew the handle and lift off the blade guard and old blade. Second, place a new blade on to the cap using the central screw and two location posts to keep the blade straight. Lastly, replace the guard and reattach the handle by turning clockwise until fully tightened.

Features & details
    • Double edged safety razor. A single blade razor designed for edging sideburns and strong beard lines to help you achieve your perfect look
    • Closed comb head, perfected a century ago, for the best control
    • Chrome-plated handle for long-lasting durability
    • Stainless steel blades. Includes 5 High-Quality Platinum-coated stainless steel double edged razor blades to shape with accuracy
    • Iconic heritage-inspired design. The pinnacle of over a century's worth of innovation and expertise
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    THIS IS UDDERLY LUDICROUS!
    This head they used they claim is a perfection of theirs from 100 years ago. This is a head type that never existed on any Gillette ever. For that matter, that handle resembles no handle that Gillette ever made.
    "The pinnacle of over a century's worth of innovation and expertise"
    What does this quote mean in regards to what we know? Every Gillette ever made was complete garbage apparently because they made a razor that is nothing like any of theirs. And they throw in the "King C." in the name to try to give it more credibility. Check out the technique on that attached image. I suppose that is a century worth of shaving technique.

Attached Files:

Michael_W and cliffb599 like this.
  3. Michael_W

Yeah, Gillette's marketing for the new D.E. safety razor is garbage. It's a decent enough tool, but nothing groundbreaking, and the company is trying to market it as an edging tools instead of a full-on face-shaver. This is because Gillette doesn't want to tank its multi-blade catridges, which it's overpriced to the point of being unaffordable—a major reason why safeties made a comeback in the first place.

WhyAreYouMe and cliffb599 like this.
  4. WhyAreYouMe

Maybe they could sell one that people could really get excited about. Like the first prototype for instance. Attached image. Or something based on the old design with a twist. Like a 1936 Aristocrat but make it adjustable (long handle option for me). Like you said, they love their overpriced cartridges. Part of them leaving DE's I believe was they didn't have a monopoly on the blades. You could make a one time purchase of the razor for $2.00, then never buy any Gillette stuff after that. The back of the Super Adjustable box I have sounds like a threat and a desperate plea at the same time to only use their blades.

Attached Files:

cliffb599 and Michael_W like this.
  5. Michael_W

Gillette owns a sizeable chunk of the D.E. blade market, so it never fully abandoned investment in safety razors—only the tools themselves until a few years ago. When the Heritage was released, that was the company dipping its toes back into safeties, and the King C. was a second step toward wading back into the proverbial pool. I think if we want Gillette to get serious about producing safety razors again, we have to provide plenty of user feedback and create demand enough to get the company moving in the right direction. It's shown it's open to the idea. We just need to continue offering up positive responses.

cliffb599 and jaro like this.
  6. Daywalker

Daywalker Active Member

This was originally a well rounded thread about the Gillette Heritage not the KCG.

I mean, it's okay if you want to rant about the KCG or how shitty Gillette is but why not open a new thread/topic?

Or at least add it to an existing thread about the KCG.

Feels a bit off topic and like thread hijacking to me. Just saying.

7. WhyAreYouMe

For the original razor in question.
    It's not available anymore.
    This other one is their current only offering of this type.
    The case looks nice.
    The handle is one of their design, the shape at least, although they did pick the easiest one to make.
    The head is the same problem.
    The marketing is the same problem.
    "Feel the legacy with every shave".
    What legacy? The most important part, the head piece is not yours.
    "The perfect gift for fans of timeless design". Timeless is actually accurate as in no time at all involved.
    "Shave with history". There is no history. An unoriginal head piece that you used for the first time with this razor. It's like a they took out an ad specifically looking for a troll to do the marketing.
    Gillette isn't known for chrome plating either. The market is already saturated. The potential they have with their name and money, they could mass produce a quality product for a lower cost than all of our favorite small business creators I suppose.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2023
  8. Michael_W

I got the Heritage as a Christmas present some years ago. It's a decent enough travel razor, what with its leatherette case and all, and the design is good if a bit basic—but then, sometimes basic is good. Like I said, I think if we give Gillette enough feedback and really let it know the demand is there for a revived safety razor line, sooner or later it'll respond with more. But the demand and the feedback, the positive as well as the negative, have to be there.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2023
    WhyAreYouMe and cliffb599 like this.