Are Pre-Shave Oils Worth It??

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by poppi, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

IMO, the better your technique, the less difference the oil will make. So for most, it's not worth the extra cost.
    OTOH, as a gift it cost you nothing, so ANY benefit is worth it.

jgreenepa likes this.
  2. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

I live in Scotland, we only have two seasons, winter....and the first week in july.

brit, DesertTime, jgreenepa and 2 others like this.
  3. mantic

mantic U TOOB

It can be used as pre and post.

brit, PLANofMAN and jgreenepa like this.
  4. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

I don’t like the oil. It gums up my razor and makes clean-up a pain. OTOH PAA’s Preshave Cube Soap is incredible. It bolsters whatever soap I’m using for that first pass. And has resulted in very close bloodlyshaves for me since I began using it!

5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

If you’re clogging; you’re using way to much.

6. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

I also dislike the slimy feeling on my face and hands! I just don’t like the stuff, and never found it to contribute anything to the shave.

7. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

8. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

Until today, I would have said no. I had to rush things a bit this morning, so I thought I'd try an old bottle of Shave Secret as a pre shave. Things went pretty well for a rush job, and my skin 5 or 6 hours later feels fantastic--and no irritation.

I'm willing to re-open the possibility that pre shave oils might have their uses.

9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I was in the “it doesn’t work” camp until I used it for a 30 day focus. Maybe it’s all in my mind...I still don’t get the slimy feeling, clogging issue though??

10. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I've tried some pre shave oils, just had to wash face with soap and re lather for second pass. Hydrating the beard with water, a good lather and a favorite razor/blade combo is good enough for me.

11. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

Try argan oil, not the proprietary shave oils, about £5 from ebay...only need 3 drops and work it in...leave as long as you can...soak your brush, strop your razor etc...give it 5 mins

12. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

My guess is that it’s related to individual skin types (oily/normal/dry).

When I use a PSO I’m giving my skin what other people were born with and don’t need extra of.

I’m sure adding oil to oily skin could possibly result in feeling slimy.

I have a friend whose hair has never tangled while mine tangles every time it gets wet. Oily vs. dry.

I’m not sure that the OP’s question of worth can be answered unequivocally for or against without consideration of individual skin type.

DesertTime likes this.
  13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Agreed. I also didn’t come to appreciate it the first time I tried it. For me personally, it took 3-4 weeks of use to cure my dry skin.

brit and John Beeman like this.
  14. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I used a preshave oil on occasion early on. I did feel like it degraded my lather a bit.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

15. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

For my dried hands and elbows my wife gave me Suave Healing Treatment hand lotion and within a week my hands an elbows were back to normal. I think if my face ever needed moisturizing i'd use it before bed. Suave makes many different types of hand creams that has many uses. So possibly Suave may help with dry facial skin. Or even Noxzema may also be considered, other than pre-shave oils.

16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've used corn huskers lotion pretty much since I started. Seems to work well, fairly inexpensive, doesn't harm my #6 horse hair brush and doesn't leave my face feeling greasy. :happy088: