January 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2019.

?

What year did you join our happy band of shavers?

1. 2015 - CHARTER MEMBER - I was here the day we began!

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. 2015 - February or later

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. 2016

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. 2017

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. 2018

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. 2019

17 vote(s)
    30.4%
  7. I'm brand new in 2020

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  8. I don't remember. I've inhaled too much shaving soap for my brain to function.

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  9. Not sure but it's been longer than a day

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  10. So we still get cookies, right? And ice cream? I heard rumors.

16 vote(s)
    28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great picture, Terry!

clint64, jgreenepa, Drygulch and 5 others like this.
  2. Norcalnewb

Excellent picture, Perry!

3. Norcalnewb

DE767C18-B7B4-4769-8E81-A82671E51FEC.jpeg

January 9 SOTD:

Razor: Gillette '48-'50 SS
    Blade: Voskhod
    Brush: PAA The Solar Flare
    Lather: PAA Atmotic
    Aftershave: PAA Atmotic

This morning's shave was with Atmotic, one of my earlier PAA purchases. This has long been a favorite of mine. To me it opens with a sweetness, almost a burnt sugar, which is interesting in that there is not much of sweet note to it according to the site. But, every time I use it, it is there. This gives way to a very oaky base. There is an earthy patchouli note that is highlighted by just a bit of ginger. To my nose, though, the oak is the star of the show. Like I said, this has long been a favorite, but looking at the shaves I have had so far, it would rate it below a couple of other scents, and I know a few I have will surpass it as well. I hope everyone has a great day!

9nein9, wristwatchb, clint64 and 14 others like this.
  4. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Niice, Perry!

clint64, jgreenepa, Drygulch and 4 others like this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    January Focus
    [​IMG]
    Mike's Bay Rum~~Mondial 26mm~~'58 D3 Adjustable~~Polsilver~~Meehan
    Keeping the focus alive with not only the promised soap/AS/brush, but with the Gillette and the Polsilver.
    Back to setting nine and doing fine.
    Excellent, as usual, Mike's lather:
    IMG_3270.jpeg
    Feel better, but the incessant cough is almost as bad as the Wolfman trolls on some other fora.
    Cut out the 5 black bristles in the otherwise excellent Mondial knot.
    I don't pluck them out, because I don't wish to disturb the integrity of the knot, itself.
    Anyone else do this?
    Three passes, and a splash of the Meehan completed a great shave.
    Funny, everyone wants a Fatboy, but honestly, you can do a lot better when searching for a blade holder.

9nein9, wristwatchb, clint64 and 14 others like this.
  6. Trigger

Great post, Jim!

7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I overdid the Clubman Reserve Whiskey Woods this morning, but the extra tobacco scent is settling down now to presumably blend in with the other features of the aftershave. I'm in a position now to compare the tobacco scents of WW and Stoylin Gentleman, as the latter arrived yesterday. Good Barbasol shave. I decided this would be the last shave with this Barbasol, as it made that squeaky sound coming out, telling me "You'll be chancin' it from here on out, BUDDDEH". Time for Gillette Foamy Regular for can shaves now. Well, with the exception of my Clubman canned cream(which I rotate with the Central Texas Soaps' Grandpa's Barbershop when using Clubman A.S.).

9nein9, wristwatchb, clint64 and 13 others like this.
  8. Norcalnewb

Awesome picture and great lather shot, Joseph!

clint64, jgreenepa, Drygulch and 6 others like this.
  9. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Joe!

10. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

1/09/2020

C40 Every Ready – Restored By @clint64
    Timeless Bowl
    Mitchell’s Wool Fat Shaving Soap
    Ever Ready 1912 – Made in England
    Gem Stainless Steel Blade
    Pinaud Clubman Aftershave Lotion

First shave with a new toy, the English Ever-Ready 1912 courtesy of Gary @brit . It is a gorgeous razor and is so pretty and shiny! :) Thanks Gary.

In keeping with the English theme, I had to break out the MWF soap. The 1912 and the MWF are a glorious combination and the English combo took care of business. Two passes and a few touch ups and I was ready to go to work in the Rolls Royce. Scratch that……. I went English this morning but not that English. Finished the shave off with a splash of Clubman.

Now, I feel the need for tea and crumpets this afternoon. Thanks again Gary, I love the 1912!

Take care everyone and have a great day!

Note: Please ignore the random hair next to the brush. :happy102:

20200109_061426.jpg 20200109_054246.jpg
    [​IMG]

11. Trigger

Terrific shave, Maestro! I am surprised that you are not enamored with the FB.

clint64, Drygulch, PLAla and 5 others like this.
  12. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

B161453A-FADC-4C57-8321-EC567EB544B2.jpeg
    SOTD 01/09/20

This will be my last shave with the Fine Marvel razor. Not much to say about the process, but I can say that this razor is now part of regular rotation. I soaped up with the Grooming Dept’s Scentless Donkey Milk soap. I love all of Mohammed’s soaps. The Donkey Milk whipped up into a thick, glistening lather that the Marvel glided through effortlessly. Two passes on the face and one and one half half on the noggin and that’s all she wrote. The result - another BBS on both shaving areas. There was no heat or burn anywhere after testing with the Alum block. I love the way my face feels with this soap. I washed both dome and face afterwards with the Donkey Milk brush squeezings and could have foregone the AS, but being a Menth head enjoyed the wonderful cooling effect of Royal Lyme AS enhanced with a generous amount of M-Bomb.

RAZOR: Fine Marvel Safety Razor on SS Barber Pole handle
    BLADE: Suneko
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by PAA’s Charcoal-Menthol Cube Preshave Soap
    BRUSH: Omega Pro48
    SOAP: Grooming Dept Donkey Milk
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Royall Lyme AS Splash

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    9nein9, wristwatchb, clint64 and 12 others like this.
  13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Now that I see the random hair, I'll ignore it. :).

14. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I've commented the same thing. Shaving with an open blade makes you more mindful of the feel and the angle of the blade, which translates well to DE and SE razors as well. Have you tried a cart razor since you switched to wetshaving? The quality of the shave I got with one blew my mind. Of course, my skin was irritated, but it was smooth and irritated.

15. Trigger

Good show, Danny!
    Very cool shave, Jeff! By the way, I used the Shake Sharp on my head, yesterday! I really like the razor for headshaving.

Keithmax, clint64, jgreenepa and 6 others like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

fine shave and pic Terry,cool razor..

17. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

January 9th
    Occam’s Razor w Nacet
    ‘17 30DC LE
    Fine Platinum combo
    Thayers
    77AD0BFF-7CDD-4CC9-B848-26796ED077C2.jpeg
    Back to the Occam’s today, and back to the solid bar base plate. Whipped up a very nice lather. This Fine soap base really is a favourite of mine.
    This plate is definitely the mildest of the 3 Occam’s plates, but is also very,very smooth. I ended up quite smooth, albeit with some buffing strokes involved. Another day with this razor/plate tomorrow, methinks.
    Off soon to visit some sites around the area and probably not back to the office until near the end of the day. All good stuff, though.
    Have a great day all!

18. Trigger

No, I haven't. The reason is that I can't see spending money on them when I have better tools to shave my head and face.

19. Trigger

That truly is a fine shave, Jason!

jtspartan, clint64, jgreenepa and 6 others like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

very cool ,brush and soap definitely improved things for me,even when i used carts with them..

Keithmax, clint64, jgreenepa and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.