What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

The drift was to reply to you . I could have ignored and probably should have.

2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

The problem most beginners have is not choosing honing media, it’s setting a bevel, and determining if the bevel is set or not (how do you tell for sure). It’s a sign of inexperience to focus on the media rather than the skill.

If you understand how to set a bevel - and have learned to make your stroke hit the entire bevel evenly toe to heel - it doesn’t matter what honing media that you choose, within fineness constraints of course, the razor will shave well. If you don’t understand how to set a bevel and test for bevel set etc, and hone evenly, then it doesn’t matter what your media is, the razor will not as shave well as it could.

Have you tried CBN Chuck? You’re a paste guy, it would be interesting to hear your opinion about the differences between CBN and diamond pastes.

3. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

The forum does have a feature allowing you to ignore specific individuals.

If you ignored me in that fashion, your instinct to gaslight would be in check when I point out hypocrisies.

4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

8E544C9B-D05A-4E0E-BE04-00E1B667F34D.jpeg

Shave #62 with the Filly 14 Sub Cero edge longevity test, cream was both SMN and 3P (what?!) lathered with a Maggard Razors 22mm SHD knot in a Life2short1971 handle that Scott and I call the ‘hippie handle’ for the color scheme. The knot is very high density, and holds soap like a beast. I put about 50% extra SMN cream in the bowl and barely had enough lather for the first pass. I re-loaded the brush from a tub of 3P that was sitting on the counter and finished the second pass. If you want to burn through that 17 years worth of shaving soap that SAD laid on you, one of these knots will help! Balm was the tobacco toscano SMN body cream.

Jayaruh, oscar11, esvh and 10 others like this.
  5. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Second shave with this lovely Leader. The first shave was good but shy of what I hoped for. Today was on the money. :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    T&H Ultimate Comfort PSO
    Mystic Water Brown Windsor
    Savile Row 3824
    FW Engels Leader 13/16
    Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel

FW Engels Leader 13:16 TH MWBW SR TRWH.jpg

Happy shaving - Karl

Jayaruh, oscar11, esvh and 14 others like this.
  6. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    That razor makes me drool :happy036:

oscar11, TestDepth, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Do you own a time machine or just borrow one? Wow that is factory fresh.

oscar11, Karl G and TestDepth like this.
  8. Keithmax

Osiris 8/8 with a heavy grind.
    ID - 1.jpeg

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Saturday Straights' Shave
    [​IMG]

Cold Water Rinse
    Proraso Sandalwood
    Jayaruh #326
    Dubl Duck 5/8
    CWR
    Florida Water

My prep was just a cold water rinse. The Proraso Sandalwood face lathered well with Jayaruh #326 Brush. I did two passes and a cleanup with the Dubl Duck 5/8 razor and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Florida Water. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

gssixgun, oscar11, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  10. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I used a $7 Challenge Cutlery The Celebrated Rifle Razor. Since the first hone, this has been one of the best performing edges. I'm always surprised that Challenge does not get more press. :)

I used the Atomic Rocket brush $12, VDH soap $3, and a Aqua Velva $3 finish. I don't think you can get more minimalist and masculine than this straight forward group.

Jayaruh, oscar11, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

00519815-92AB-4B2B-A2E7-DAC1850013A4.jpeg

Today’s shave is from my air travel kit (except for the coffret of 3P), a Scheön Burg 6/8 frameback, a Simpsons X1 Commodore, and a dab of ABC balm. BDBS. The knot in the Commodore is fantastic, but I’ve never really liked the small, short handle. But it does one thing that most other brushes don’t, it fits under the elastic band in the side compartment of a L. L. Bean hanging kit bag. The razor is a rescale from Stefan (mainaman) and Japanese framebacks are relatively plentiful and cheap. Easy to replace if there’s a mishap. It also shaves extremely well, more like a Swedish razor.

Jayaruh, oscar11, Keithmax and 10 others like this.
  12. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

One of those lucky eBay finds. It makes up for one that I missed out on when I was first starting to shave with straights. It was on my list ever since. :chores016:

oscar11, Keithmax and TestDepth like this.
  13. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

Stefan knows his stuff :)
    Not only about excellent craftsmanship and exacting tolerances on his restores but he knows his way around J-Nats too

I wonder if that was Swedish Ore or even Steel many of the Japanese razors were

oscar11, Keithmax, TestDepth and 4 others like this.
  14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Yep, the Filly 14 Sub Cero that I’m doing the edge longevity test with is from him, It would be difficult to find a finer razor for sure. It’s 62 shaves in and going.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

There’s a tale there too. This Sub Cero was honed by Stefan with one layer of electrical tape. Great edge, but on daily drivers I just don’t want to fool with tape on touchups, etc, and I wanted my own edge. So I decided to reset the bevel with 1 layer of 1 mil Kapton, then I’d pull the tape and do the second bevel set w/o any tape. Kind of splitting the difference in tape/spinewear philosophy. I only intended to do it once.

This was the second razor up on that honing session, and I was tired, the first one wasn’t cooperating and took quite a while. The Sub Cero had 1 mil Kapton on it and was ready to finish. So I finished it. Why not? The finisher was slurried and ready. The wear from the finisher is nothing. Now I’m going to have to re-think a non-taped edge, simply because it’s performing so well. I don't think that 1/2 degree is the reason, but I’m also not one to mess with what’s proven to work.

Jayaruh, Karl G, oscar11 and 5 others like this.
  16. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Geo. Wostenholm & Son “Superb” Pipe razor
    The scales are in wonderful condition, and Coticule edge provided a very enjoyable shave... dare I say Superb :).
    40FB6EEA-3F12-408C-9683-B37B004714E4.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

17. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Hoshi Tombo 8000
    Strop Martin J. Rubin 4601 New York
    Muhle Fibre Silvertip XL
    Tabac
    Tabac Balm
    Aramis Tabacco Reserve Edp

18. Keithmax

Mike Martinez 8/8

ID - 1.jpeg

19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

1A464FD1-CC37-42F0-B7BA-4BAD6E27DDA7.jpeg

Here’s another version of a monly shave, a Filly 14 Sub Cero (shave 63, beats the Cape 1000 today), soap was Stirling Green, a Polo Green copy lathered with a Simpsons 58, a dash of Myrsol AB then a spritz of ... Polo Green! We all know the notes in Polo Green:

- top notes, gasoline and motor oil
    -mid notes, warm tires and fan belts
    - base notes, fresh air, grass, and exhaust fumes.

No not really, but it always seems to invoke those experiences for me. It’s considered an old school frag these days, but still a classic. Perfect for working on your Panhead or ‘98 Jeep Grand Wagoneer.

Jayaruh, esvh, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  20. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Flic
    Pear Brrr-Shoppe
    homemade 2 band
    From a couple of days ago. I'm sicker than a dog this morning.
    [​IMG]

Jayaruh, Karl G, esvh and 9 others like this.