SOS: January 2020

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by SpeedyPC, Dec 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brit

brit in a box

you haven't used it in a while ..may take a day or so..:)

clint64 likes this.
  2. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Thank you, gentlemen. :)

clint64, AlfredoT and brit like this.
  3. James Kleinkauf

James Kleinkauf Well-Known Member

Thanks Gary

clint64 and brit like this.
  4. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

How do you modify the blades? I'm not real happy with the Feather SEs.

clint64 and brit like this.
  5. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

January 18th SOTD
    Schick ‘66’ w Personna
    Zenith / BRM
    Highland Springs Kootenay Blue combo
    Thayers
    00922A84-3A3F-4E90-A608-60948F5329BD.jpeg
    Have a great day all!

6. brit

brit in a box

cool blue shave Jason..

jtspartan and clint64 like this.
  7. TommyCarioca

TommyCarioca Well-Known Member

ABC
    Shavemac 2 band
    Parker handle - RR Head [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

8. brit

brit in a box

fine shave and pic T..cool brush..

TommyCarioca and clint64 like this.
  9. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Wonderful shave with this old friend. :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    T&H Ultimate Comfort PSO
    Savile Row 3824
    Mystic Water Brown Windsor
    Otto Busch Weltmeister Sonderklasse 265 11/16
    Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel

IMG_1492.jpg

Happy shaving - Karl

10. brit

brit in a box

cool shave Karl..nice razor..

clint64 and Karl G like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    noshaveday4.gif
    Got a call early this morning and decided to skip my Saturday shave. Got to spend time with our son and his family in South Cackalacky.

12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

This little plastic razor with the stainless steel core handle is one of the best mild razors I have used as long as you do 3 pass shave IMO.( I have lots of razors to compare to.)
    I find that you get less irritation and no weepers or cuts. If you have blemishes or prior irritation from a previous shave this razor works better than most if you like to daily shave. I also can apply some pressure and not cut myself. (adding pressure to SE or DE razors is usually not a good practice-taboo for most, The Core works better with a little pressure.)

To make the Gem blade stay in the Core or any variants you have to mock the (Gem clone) as close as possible to FHS-10 blade.
    I use a wedge shim also that pins the blade down wards after blade is installed.
    Here is what I do to make modified Gem blade for my Core.
    OBC1 (2).jpg All you do is give a view twists and slight pull and its off that easy.
    OBC3 (2).jpg I use electric tape to protect the cutting edge & from cutting myself, it also keeps the metal from flying off when sniped.
    OBC2 (2).jpg Lay out the targets with a sharpie pen.( I placed some white paper for viewing only)
    reason.)
    OBC4 (2).jpg OBC5 (2).jpg I use a metal snip with a steel rule that acts as a stop so not to over cut the targeted area. Mark the tin snipe in the sweet spot to keep consistent. I always snipe the length ways first, it seems to work the best.
    OBC6 (2).jpg First corner cut out, I used spent blades to perfect this procedure for myself with some discouraging results until it was perfected. Use the electric tape to increase success.
    OBC7 (2).jpg Test to make sure it fits the razor, if it is a little lose don't worry about it for now.(make sure tabs or ears are some what straight.
    OBC8.jpg You should hear it click in place if you are fairly close, it might be a little lose but so are the FHS-10 blades when installed.
    OBC9 (2).jpg ONE B 1 (2).jpg ONE B4 (2).jpg This is the plastic magnetic business card (.020 thousands of a inch thickness) that acts as a wedge and it works excellent(you could use waterproof alternative). Just push it until it close to flush to top of blade. (you do not want to shear the plastic keepers off by pushing the blade like some did on Version 1 of the core using Gem blades possibly from my understanding). The wedge pins the blade down and keeps enough resistance while shaving up against the blade keepers. I usually make a small batch up of 4 blades so it does not become a hassle. OBC10 (2).jpg
    Not sure this is worth the effort for some and buying FHS-10 blades might be less a issue if you have no simple tools or just not the mechanically inclined type.
    But if you like the Gem SS PTFE blades for their great performance in longevity & sharpness this is the only way I know how to get to that shaving pinnacle.
    The Oneblade Core is great mild razor with a min 3 pass shave with some added pressure(adding a little pressure is usually taboo with DE or SE razors but with the Core is not a issue IMO) and will give less irritation and weepers than most other razors IMO.
    This is a article I used for helping out a person on B&B with similar issues with the blade. The FHS-10 cuts good for 1-2 shaves and then drops off quickly for sharpness IMO.
    https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/oneblade-razor.580530/#post-10526346
    https://www.badgerandblade.com/foru...re-razor-is-it-really-just-hype.567991/page-2 addition information about the wedge.
    Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  13. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

This week saw Round #4 in my Shavette Showdown.

- Feather Artist Club DX - Feather Professional Super
    - Focus R21 Evolution - 1/2 Feather DE
    - Focus R28 Slim Al - 1/2 GSB

[​IMG]

Fine shaves all...

The Focus R28 with the GSB stays consistent. GSB's will not outshave Feathers but are 'forever smooth'. This set-up stays in close persuit.

In the Feather vs Feather sub, I moved the DX back to 1st. The blade doesn't perform like new, but allows me at this point to compensate and add a little more cutting force for the win 'without punishment'.

FWIW, my little competes are not to say one is better than another. The' Max Headroom ShaveMobile' got a blade tracker upgrade recently and I'm mostly setting my 'time to toss' parameters.

[​IMG]

Happy shaving Y'all.

Edison Carter, reporting live from Network 23. Or, 20 Minutes into the Future.

14. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

Thanks. You mentioned the very problem I have...I'm getting only 1-2 shaves out of each blade. This is a great razors. It's the first single edge I've been able to use. I'm not mechanically inclined, so I may just stick with the Feathers, and hope someone else comes out with another blade.

15. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

SUNDAY'S SHAVE

[​IMG]

Bath Soap - Shulton Old Spice "Captain's Soap Chest" Edition (circa 1974)
    [​IMG]
    Razor - Gillette Superspeed (circa 1947-1952) (Re-plated in Nickel Finish by Razor Emporium)
    Blade - [​IMG] *3rd Shave
    Shave Brush - Custom Created Handle by an "Unknown" Artist (Fitted with a synthetic 26mm Knot by Nathan of Envy Shave)
    Shave Soap - Shulton Old Spice (circa mid 60's-late 70's, fits 3.75 ounce mugs from the era)
    Shave Mug - Shulton Ship Grand Turk - Tempered Glass (sold 1964 thru 1978) with Custom Lid by Nathan of Envy Shave
    Aftershave - Shulton Old Spice (circa 1980's)
    Deodorant - Shulton Old Spice (circa early-mid 1980's)
    Fragrance - Shulton Old Spice Long Lasting Cologne Spray (circa 1980's 'tester bottle' made for store display only, extremely rare.)
    "Grand Turk Ship" Shaving Stand by Desire Metal Works

16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Gary.

17. brit

brit in a box

awesome set up and pic Tim..

Ron R, Tim Spencer and clint64 like this.
  18. hins2jw0

hins2jw0 Well-Known Member

I usually just de-spine the Gem blade and push it in. That works fine on the metal oneblades without further modification... Not sure about the Core?

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Smooth Steve, clint64 and brit like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

sunday shave
    #27 flat bottom tech -blue set
    gsb
    eveready 89 flat top timberwolf
    wilkinson stick/derby stick mix
    adidas ice dive a/s
    20200118_162335_edited.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  20. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity