January 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2019.

?

What year did you join our happy band of shavers?

1. 2015 - CHARTER MEMBER - I was here the day we began!

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. 2015 - February or later

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. 2016

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. 2017

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. 2018

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. 2019

17 vote(s)
    30.4%
  7. I'm brand new in 2020

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  8. I don't remember. I've inhaled too much shaving soap for my brain to function.

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  9. Not sure but it's been longer than a day

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  10. So we still get cookies, right? And ice cream? I heard rumors.

16 vote(s)
    28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

The Gibbs is a great shaver, but the Rex doesn’t work on the dome! The razor may be the problem! I’m going to give it a few chances, but if problems persist, I’m going to contact RE and have them take a look. I’m sure not going to keep a $250 paperweight around. If there continue to be problems after RE reviews it, I’ll sell it.

2. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Very nice shave, Evan!

3. jgreenepa

Thanks, maybe it’s not just me! The Gibbs is a great shaver, but it’s true. I need to monitor my shave carefully when using it in much the same way I do with my R41. But that razor still is a smoother shaver than the Rex.

4. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Terrific shave, Joseph! Hopefully the granules are gone for good!

5. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Good afternoon Gary.
    Maybe finish that puck of Williams you started on years ago.:eatdrink013:

6. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I sure hope it gets figured out. The Ambassador is a favorite in my rotation. If I ever felt compelled to do a den clearing it would be one of the last to go. I did a thirty day focus with it when I first got it. Never any issues.

7. jgreenepa

Great shave report, Joseph! I had sworn off that soap after your granular experience with it! Still doesn’t sound like the kind of soap I enjoy! My baseline is MWF lather. Few soaps are comparable in my experience.

8. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

G
    Gotcha--thanks for the clarification.

Something that never really set well with me, but I don't know enough to (responsibly) feel strongly about: users were able to shave with gems with the V1 (cheaper and adds choice into the mix), then V2 comes out and now people have to jump through hoops to choose a different blade. It's possible Oneblade was trying to improve the fit for their blade of choice, but the cynic in me wonders if they were just trying to limit choice rather than fix things.

9. jgreenepa

Thanks, Jim! How long into the thirty days did it take for you to dial it in? I’m not complaining about the face shave. It’s the dome shave that’s tripping me up.

10. jgreenepa

Bill:
    They’re also awesome shavers. Mild in feel, but very efficient. I really like the shave. It’s a great razor! There’s a reason they’re sought by many.

Hembree, Norcalnewb, brit and 6 others like this.
  11. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Keep us posted on how that soap works out please. For the longest time I thought I was the only wet shaver in town , but from talking to staff at the drugstores and the antique shop, there are many of us . Sometimes one never knows whats going on in his own back yard .

Great report Evan!

I remember you mentioning that soap with the granules and always wondered if you got reimbursed or they replaced it . Good to see you got satisfaction.

12. jgreenepa

Great shave report, Evan! I wish I could try an open blade, but I enjoy my ears and nose too much! ;)

Hembree, Norcalnewb, brit and 5 others like this.
  13. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

Beautiful setup, Joseph--you're right, the soap is pretty dark. Glad to see you made it back safe and sound.

14. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

That was a long time ago, Jeff. I don't remember exactly. I'm not a head shaver so I can't comment on that. I don't do anything radically different with it than any of my other razors. Ride the cap with a light touch. When I do have it out I like to put my technique to the test on occasion by turning it way down.

Hembree, Norcalnewb, brit and 5 others like this.
  15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

It never really bothered me at all. You make a razor that has a lifetime warranty and have people using blades not made for the razor. I can completely understand their position. Plus their market for OneBlade razors has never been people on shaving forums but people coming from carts that see the advertisements on public media. Honestly, I can take the spine off and punch 5 blades in less than 5 minutes. It really is not a big deal. However, I wish they would make a model of the Genesis Razor that would accept Gem blades and only Gem blades without any modifications.

16. jgreenepa

Thanks, Blair! I enjoy blade feel as well, but have the real issue on my dome. The face shave is not the problem. I need to dial it in on the noggin. It’s one of only very few razors with which I’ve struggled. The OneBlade is the other.

17. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Nailed. Such an absolute and accurate description for using the DX.

Great commentary and comparison Evan.

Try maneuvering the DX with possibly lighter buffing style strokes like done with your Dovo, once used to the touchdown placement memory. You may almost get BBS on the first pass. I hardly ever do longer swaths with the DX.

18. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

This week saw Round #4 in my Shavette Showdown.

- Feather Artist Club DX - Feather Professional Super
    - Focus R21 Evolution - 1/2 Feather DE
    - Focus R28 Slim Al - 1/2 GSB

20200118_135929-1.jpeg

Fine shaves all...

The Focus R28 with the GSB stays consistent. GSB's will not outshave Feathers but are 'forever smooth'. This set-up stays in close persuit.

In the Feather vs Feather sub, I moved the DX back to 1st. The blade doesn't perform like new, but allows me at this point to compensate and add a little more cutting force for the win 'without punishment'.

FWIW, my little competes are not to say one is better than another. The' Max Headroom ShaveMobile' got a blade tracker upgrade recently and I'm mostly setting my 'time to toss' parameters.

20200118_144455.jpeg

Happy shaving Y'all.

Edison Carter, reporting live from Network 23. Or, 20 Minutes into the Future.

19. McCrae

McCrae Well-Known Member

I've seen a video reviewing the Rex where the guy says that the newer version feels more aggressive and less pleasant than the older version:
    Not sure how accurate this is, but take it as you will..

Hembree, Norcalnewb, brit and 6 others like this.
  20. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

:signs062:

Hembree, Norcalnewb, brit and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.