Schick Type I and J injectors for dummies

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Jan 18, 2020.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The aim of this thread is to categorize the Type I and J razors in a way that is easier understood for the average collector so as such I will not being using Appleby's designations other than the Type I and J label after redefining to describe them at all. They will presented grouped chronologically by product offerings for a specific razor.

First piece of information we need to clarify is that Type I and J refer to handle styles. The I style handles only came in a short version the J style handle in a long or short version. Eversharp sold the same razor in various configurations and sets based upon this and whether they came with or without a cleaning lever to open to razor head to rinse it out completely.

Key visual differences

Handles
    Regardless of variant they only came in these 3 styles.
    IJ.jpg
    left to right
    Type I
    Type J shorter version
    Type J longer version

Razor heads
    Regardless of variant they only came in 2 styles.
    IJa.jpg
    left to right
    without cleaning lever
    with cleaning lever

The earlier sets only came with cleaning levers and were sold in an I style handle as a Eversharp Hydro-magic and with a long J style handle called an Eversharp Hydro-magic '500', Golden '500' or Schick '500'. Later sets came along that had either a Type I handle or shorter Type J handle without the cleaning lever sold as Eversharp Schick, Schick Safety Razor or Schick.

Here are some adverts to hammer home the above.
    ij1955 (1).jpg eversharp1957 (1).jpg

Now onto the groupings which will be done razor and options offered as chronological as possible based upon when it was first introduced. Unless stated otherwise all razor heads are gold plated.

1st variants. I and longer J style handle, short hydro-magic lever without any writing on it.

Style 1 - Ebony (black) colored Type I style handle, razor head stamped Eversharp Hydro-magic. Produced 1954 - 1958.
    i2v2a.jpg i2v1b.jpg

Style 2 - Ebony (black) colored Type I style handle, razor head stamped Eversharp Schick. Produced 1958.
    i2v1a.jpg i2v1b.jpg

Style 3 - Ebony (black) and ivory (white) colored longer Type J style handle, razor head stamped Eversharp Hydro-magic. Produced 1954 - 1958.
    hydro1.jpg hydro3.jpg

Style 4 - Ebony (black) and ivory (white) colored longer Type J style handle, razor head stamped Eversharp Schick. Produced 1958.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2nd variants. I and longer J style handle, longer hydro-magic lever with writing on it.

Style 1 - Ebony (black) colored Type I style handle, longer hydro-magic lever, razor head stamped Eversharp Hydro-magic. Razor was also produced with a chrome plated head, not pictured here. Produced 1958 - 1961.
    i2v4a.jpg i2v4b.jpg

Style 2 - Ebony (black) and Ivory (white) colored longer Type J style handle, longer hydro-magic lever, razor head stamped Eversharp Hydro-magic. Produced 1958 - 1959.
    j4a.jpg j4b.jpg

3rd variants. Type I handle without the hydro-magic lever, shorter Type J handle without the hydro-magic lever.

Style 1 - Ivory (white) colored Type I style handle, without hydro-magic lever, razor head stamped Eversharp Schick. Produced 1957 - 1959.
    i1a2.jpg

Style 2 - Ivory (white) colored shorter Type J style handle, without hydro-magic lever, razor head stamped Eversharp Schick. Produced 1957 - 1959.
    j1b.jpg

4rd variants.
    Type J longer handle, with longer hydro-magic lever.

Style 1 - Ebony (black) and Ivory (white) longer Type J handle, razor head stamped Schick Golden '500'. Produced 1959 - 1964.
    j3a.jpg j3b.jpg

Style 2 - Ebony (black) longer Type J handle, razor head stamped Schick '500'. Produced 1964 - 1969.
    Schick500a.jpg Schick500b.jpg

5th variants. Type I handle with and without the hydro-magic lever, shorter Type J handle without the hydro-magic lever.

Style 1 - Ebony (black) Type I handle with longer hydro-magic lever no writing on lever. Razor stamped Eversharp Hydro-magic Assumed to only be produced as a chrome plated head. Produced sometime between 1959 - 1961.
    i2v3a.jpg i2v3b.jpg

Style 2 - Ivory (white) Type I handle without hydro-magic lever. Razor stamped Schick Safety Razor. Produced 1959 - 1964.
    i1b2.jpg

Style 3 - Ivory (white) shorter Type J handle without hydro-magic lever. Razor stamped Schick Safety Razor. Produced 1959 - 1964.
    j1b1 (1).jpg

6th and final variants. Type I and shorter Type J handle both without a hydro-magic lever.

Style 1 - Ebony (black) Type I handle, razor head stamped Schick. Produced 1964 - 1967.
    i1c1.jpg

Style 2 - Ebony (black) shorter Type J handle, razor head stamped Schick. Produced 1964 - 1967.
    j2a.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

It's somewhat odd to me that the only razors I really am interested in these days are straight razors and injectors. Great post.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I have the third variant, style two J razor.

Great information!

4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

For the set collectors. There are 3 major sets regardless of changes through the years. 2 with the cleaning lever option and one without.

1. Cleaning lever razors

Hydro-magics
    1954 - 1961
    branded as Eversharp Hydro-magic and Eversharp Schick
    variants covered - V1(1954 - 1958), V2(1958 - 1961), V5(1959 - 1961)

'500'
    1954 - 1969
    branded as Eversharp Hydro-magic '500', Schick Golden '500' and Schick '500'
    variants covered - V1(1954 - 1958), V2(1958 - 1959), V4(1959 - 1969)

2. Razors without cleaning lever.

Eversharp Schick injectors
    1957 - 1967
    branded as Eversharp Schick, Schick Safety Razor and Schick
    variants covered - V3(1957 - 1959), V5(1959 - 1964), V6(1964 - 1967)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    Jim99 likes this.
  5. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Great work. The I type short blocky handle is one of my favorites.

6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Something else I forgot to add. The blade exposure changed on the razors for the 5th and final variants from the 1st four variants as seen here.
    IJa.jpg IJb.jpg

left to right for both pictures
    V2
    V3
    V4 Type I
    V4 Type J

Jim99 and brit like this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Update. Pictures and description added to the 1st variants for a 4th style Type J.

brit likes this.
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

9. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

I have this:

3rd variants.
    shorter Type J handle without the hydro-magic lever.

Style 2 - Ivory (white) colored shorter Type J style handle, without hydro-magic lever, razor head stamped Eversharp Schick. Produced 1957 - 1959.
    [​IMG]

Here it says it is the 2nd variant. https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/schick-type-i-and-j-injectors-for-dummies.580798/
    Which takes precedence?

One of the reasons I ask -- here's a quote from, ahem, the other forum linked to above:

"The 4th and 5th variants are probably the worst shavers of the Type I and J razors. On the other hand the 1st variants are some of the best injectors ever made, the 2nd variants up there with the most aggressive injectors ever made and the 3rd variants some of the most smooth and efficient injectors ever made.

If you like the Type G regardless of variant then the one to go for here are the 3rd variants aka the Golden '500' or Schick '500' razors. They are similar to a Type G but much more efficient. They also tend to go for more than a Type G when they come up for sale. If you want something more accessible and cheaper you'll go for one of the 1st variants."

Here on TSD, the 500 razors are called 4th variants -- but I assume they are not the worst shavers for Is and Js, right?

To have a sampling of the best Is and Js, do I really need one each of the first 4 variants as defined here on TSD?

Is my one pictured above considered "up there with the most aggressive injectors ever made" or considered as "some of the most smooth and efficient injectors ever made"?

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 21, 2023