Has Anyone Compared?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Carson West, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

Has anyone compared Feather's "Popular" razor with their AS-D2? I have 20 razors, and get some of my best shaves from my Feather Popular. But I don't like plastic, and I'd enjoy using their all-metal razor more. Ideally the only difference between them would be the materials they're made from. I like how mild the Popular shaves. All feedback is welcome.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  2. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

i love the feather popular. and have asked the same question? a few have told me it is close but not the same shave as the A2-D2, being a bit more aggressive.

Carson West likes this.
  3. Carson West

Thank you.

4. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

let me know your review if you get it. its a high dollar razor and i have been putting my $$'s to straight razors

crazy how a $15 plastic razor performs so well!!!!

Carson West likes this.
  5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I would like to revist the all metal Feather travel razor that I gave away many years ago.

Carson West likes this.
  6. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

I have both, and find the As-D2 to have a narrower sweet spot, which is why a lot of complaints about the razor being too mild have arisen over the years. I think that many who have dismissed it, just never learned the sweet spot and gave up in frustration. I have heavy dense whiskers and count both the Popular and As-D2 to be among my closest shaving razors. The Popular is a great razor with a wider sweet spot. All of my comments relate to the use of Feather blades in both razors. I’ve never gotten as close a shave with these razors using a non-Feather blade for which both were designed. The difference in shave is negligible, with the closest being the AS-D2, but as I said before, there is a real learning curve to the SS version. If you’re getting good shaves with the Popular, there’s no real practical reason to trade up as the difference in shave is negligible, coupled with the need to spend some serious time learning the very narrow sweet spot of the AS-D2 - it took me about a week of shaves to get it right!

Leclec13 and Primotenore like this.
  7. Carson West

Very well stated sir. Thank you so much.

jgreenepa likes this.