What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Early 1800’s John Barber
    Just the Square and Compass mark on this one. “Patent. Tempered Steel” on the backside.
    Had a regrind and scale change sometime in the past 200 years :).

Edge is a little harsh... plan on taking it to a Coticule to mellow it out.
    AB030842-79DB-4D3B-A8DC-F239FA3F9F69.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

Jayaruh, oscar11, GAW9576 and 10 others like this.
  2. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

A Salamander “Our Wedge. Less than $20. 100 years old. These razor are affordable so I recommend any new users to consider one as a starter or daily shaver. There are several auctions usually posted on eBay.

4E0D5091-89D1-44AD-84D0-D25A7D8C6F51.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Jayaruh, oscar11, GAW9576 and 9 others like this.
  3. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I refreshed this Suzumasa the other day along with a couple of others. I hadn’t used it in quite awhile but was excited to bring it back into rotation after I felt the refreshed edge with my thumb. Sure enough, it’s back in tip-top shape. :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    AOS Lavender PSO
    Barrister’s Reserve Lavender
    Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip Manchurian
    Suzumasa AA FBU 13/16
    AOS Lavender After Shave Balm

IMG_1498 2.jpg

Happy shaving - Karl

4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Stunning image @Jamie Mahoney bravo!

@Karl G that Suzumasa with the ‘AA’ stamp is interesting. The Kokuou has the same AA stamp, and is a Tanifuji. That makes me wonder if there’s a connection. Scroll down to Kokuou here:

https://historyrazors.wordpress.com/2016/08/27/tanifuji-fukutaro/

Today’s shave, #68 on the Filly 14 Sub Cero - uncharted territory today! Soap was 3P lathered with a Keyhole 3, and a little ABC Tobacco Verde finished up a perfectly good shave.

oscar11, Keithmax, DaltonGang and 5 others like this.
  5. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Thanks, Steve.:)

Steve56, oscar11 and Karl G like this.
  6. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Wow - you are contending for the Trivia King crown! Upon close inspection I noticed that the “AA” on the Suzumasa is truncated at the peak to have a horizontal plane and features serifs at the base of the letters. The Kokuou “AA” does not have those features. While that doesn’t rule out a connection it does keep the question more open to speculation. :happy088:

7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Dorko 7/8, full hollow but no flexing and a thumb notch, one of my favorites.

IMG_7941.jpeg

8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

You lnow, I have a Gen 1 Filly 14 DT like that, full hollow but noticeably stiffer than my other Filly 14s. Shaves like... well, a stiff Filly! Which is good.

9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

A Modern American made razor day. This 1/4 Hollow Hart Steel Razor gave a flawless shave, and wiped off three days growth, with no effort. For a 1/4 Hollow, it sure is noisy. This Boar brush has the perfect amount of softness, and backbone, that I like.

Razor- Hart Steel. USA.
    Brush- Stirling Boar.
    Soap/Cream- AOS Kingsman. Bourbon scented.
    Aftershave- Vintage Avon Spicy.

P1221234.JPG

10. TestDepth

J.A. Henckels Twinworks “14”
    A hefty, solid 15/16” example of a 14... really a pleasure to use.
    AE34082F-BA4E-4661-AB42-834B7A10D281.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

11. Jamie Mahoney

[​IMG]

Koraat 14 2.0
    Strop Martin J. Rubin 4601 New York
    Muhle Fibre Silvertip XL
    Declaration Grooming | Weinstrasse Shaving Soap
    Chatillon Lux | Weinstrasse Eau de Toilette

12. Keithmax

You inspired me, I’ll use my Koraat 14 2.0 tomorrow.

Jamie Mahoney and oscar11 like this.
  13. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Sterling
    MWF
    homemade brush
    Bigelow Green Elixer

Nice shave this morning. I'm pretty happy with this brush. It's turned out to be everything I was hoping for from a performance perspective. Aesthetically, I don't really go for wood handles but this was made out of a tree I've bowhunted out of for over 40 years. I've shot a lot of deer out of this Russian Olive with my longbows. Mother nature got the tree and all I have are the memories and a brush handle. Have a good one.
    [​IMG]

14. Jamie Mahoney

Pleased to give out some inspiration, go for it, Keith.:)

Karl G and oscar11 like this.
  15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

D0262115-34A8-4A31-BAA5-F42DEB09B6DA.jpeg

Doing a little testing today from last night’s honing session, testing the new karasu and a new slurry stone, but not in a really scientific manner, I was just havin’ fun.

The Lakeside is light, thin, and hollow. The Manhattan is a big ol’ smoothie, 1/4 hollow or thicker, really heavy, and nothing about it is thin. Soap was I Coloniali Mango lathered with a M&F Alibaba Finest, and I Coloniali balm finished up. So how did those razors do?

Both shaved superbly, so my new tomo nagura is good, so far anyway. The Lakeside ‘sings’, so you feel it cutting hair very much, but not so much the Manhattan, it’s a silent hair killer. But the end results were pretty much the same, BBS.

16. Keithmax

Jayaruh, speedster, Karl G and 10 others like this.
  17. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Lewis Strenger Barber Supply “Venus” 4/8, 200k diamond edge
    C052097F-6A74-4A00-9284-2239BE818490.jpeg

18. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

2592CD82-63D2-4016-AF5C-97BB4DDF1937.jpeg

7/8 King Pelican 14 western kamisori, soap was Czech and Speake Oxford and Cambridge lathered with a Rooney Beehive, and a splash of the glorious SMN lavender AS finished up a BDBS shave.

19. TestDepth

Beautiful Pelicans Steve... and nice case. How’s that case work for you?

Keithmax, Karl G and Steve56 like this.
  20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Hey Tom,

The case is a Dovo, and works moderately well. It’s short, so longer razors won’t fit in it so you have to watch the length, the case is 160mm long inside.

I’m also careful with the elastic straps. They hold the razors securely, maybe too securely, so I’m cautious about storing razors with valuable scales because there’s pressure on the scales all the time. This may be a mistaken idea, but I don’t want to find out on an ivory or tortoise scaled razor(s).

Other than that, it’s handsome and protects the razors well.