Any GRIND recommendations for first purchase?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by McCrae, Jan 22, 2020.

1. McCrae

McCrae Well-Known Member

I've been interested in using a straight razor for some time now. I've been doing some research the past few days, but I can't seem to decide on what grind to get.
    I've found a good local supplier of vintage straights (restored and shave ready) as well as a nice beginner strop.

I know it's mostly a YMMV thing, but I'm looking for some insight and maybe personal recommendations.

I do like the idea of using a Near Wedge or Quarter wedge since I believe I would enjoy the extra weight and solidity. I also have a coarse beard. Any ideas? Should I just choose whichever and hone my technique first? Do hollower blades give a closer shave?

I appreciate any insights :)

2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    The easy recommendation hasn't really changed

Go down the middle

6/8 Half Hollow Roundnose

Would you like the explanations why ???

3. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

I think the full hollow grinds are most available and most popular for a reason. The wedge or quarter wedge razors seem to be used by diehards who favor niche gear. Personally I think they're after coolness more than function.

JACarbone, Edison Carter and McCrae like this.
  4. McCrae

McCrae Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the Round nose so I don't poke myself too much?

5. McCrae

McCrae Well-Known Member

Something I've noticed as well. Most vendors carry about ~90% full hollows and just a few Wedges and Quarter wedges

Edison Carter and Keithmax like this.
  6. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    LOL Yes it gives the ILLUSION of safety buy trust me, it will still get ya

The 6/8 has a whole different sized Tang and Spine and more mass but still is very maneuverable on the face
    The Half Hollow is stiff enough for the tentative Beginner strokes
    The Tang size and 6/8 size helps you when Stropping to keep the razor flat on the strop

These are also available from New Production makers (Dovo, TI, Ralf Aust)
    and pretty common in the Vintage market

7. McCrae

McCrae Well-Known Member

I will look into this some more, thanks

Edison Carter, Karl G and gssixgun like this.
  8. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Take a look at the whole aspect, and jump on in the water is fine :)

ASK questions as they come up and most of all, Take your Time, there is a learning curve

Edison Carter, Karl G and McCrae like this.
  9. McCrae

McCrae Well-Known Member

I'm expecting the learning curve :)
    But no matter which grind I get, I'm determined to make it work and hopefully master it. Just seeing what others think on the matter.

Edison Carter, Karl G and gssixgun like this.
  10. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

You can do no better than to listen to Glen's advice. Go with what he recommends. Then when you've become comfortable, start exploring the different grinds and blade widths. I'll use anything from a full wedge to a full hollow and different widths, depending on my mood any particular morning. Welcome to the club.

Edison Carter, Karl G and McCrae like this.
  11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

5/8 - 6/8th round nose, half to full hollow. At least you wont poke yourself with a spike, but the sharp edge can still get you, if careless. Make sure a professional sharpens it first, even if it says it is shave ready. A dull razor is a dangerous razor.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  12. speedster

speedster Well-Known Member

Glen favors the 5/8, so don't let his recommendation make you think that's his personal preference.

I also agree to go down the middle with a 6/8 blade in half hollow if possible. Plenty of Japanese razors fit those parameters if you consider vintage razors fair game.

Good luck and enjoy the journey. You'll get straight shaving down if you are patient and committed.

13. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

I only have one near wedge...cannot get the hang of it at all, 4, 5, and 6 eights are my current preferred widths, with half or full hollow, slight preff for full hollow now, I currently have 30 odd razors ... but I dont know why :)

McCrae, Edison Carter and Karl G like this.
  14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I would recommend a 5/8 half hollow round tip, such as a Dovo Astrale

15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

In order to add to the confusion 6/8 to 7/8 half hollow round point. I find light blades hard to control.

Seriously being honed properly is the most important, after that anything 5/8 to 7/8 full hollow to 3/4 hollow. A plus if it does not have a sharp point.

16. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I learned on a 5/8 half hollow round tip. It served me well.

I committed to 1 hour per day for 100 days. Including stropping time.

Started with cheeks only. Finished with another tool. Built up slowly.

Around 2 weeks, I was comfortable enough to use only the straight.

By 1 month the time required was far less.

At about 45 days I was sure I'd stick with it and bought a 'known edge' 5/8 full hollow to confirm the edge on my trainer. Used it weekly through training.

At around 60 my trainer started getting pasted balsa stropping. Herald green, red and black. Maintained weekly. You can go a long time before a rehone is called for.

After 100 shaves I was quite comfortable.

My results are still improving.

That first razor that I got from @gssixgun is still in rotation. All my other razors are full hollow.

Good luck.

17. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Good advice and good luck!

Karl G, Edison Carter and McCrae like this.
  18. McCrae

McCrae Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great advice everyone. The general consensus seems to be with half hollow, I'll be purchasing one sometime soon. I'm sure it won't be the only straight I'll own ;)

Karl G, Edison Carter and gssixgun like this.
  19. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I am a fan of Robert Duvall myself. :happy088:

When I started abour 18 months ago, I preferred the look of a squared tip and never cut myself. At the time, I didn't know one grind from another. As far as sharpening the razors, all seemed to hone well and shave well regardless of grind. I used tape on the Wade and Butcher wedge. For me, sending razors out to be honed was never going to work. I figured if I was going to shave with a straight, honing and maintaining was just part of the deal.

If you are interested, I'd be happy to suggest how to learn to hone your own razor using 3m lapping films on a marble floor tile. The whole set up will cost approximately $60. If you see a razor on eBay and you want a second opinion, send me a PM. If you want a source for restorations, I've got the contact information for a man whose a true artist and does honing for the ones he sells.

I use an old Illinois horse hide strop I paid $25 off eBay. Its the two part type with one part linen.

I have a coarse beard also and shave my whole face. No facial hair.

Karl G and McCrae like this.
  20. Slash McCoy

Slash McCoy Well-Known Member

I second a half hollow, though up to 3/4 is fine, too. The main reason I think you ought to lean a bit away from wedges in the beginning is that when you are ready to start honing, a hollowground will be a lot more straightforward and you are much more likely to get a good result your first time at bat. If you want more heft, go with a 7/8 or so but really it won't matter as much as you might think, if the razor is good and sharp. I have shaved with 9/8 choppers, wedges, and 3/8 worn out skinny toothpick fleabay rescues. Guess what? In the final analysis, the resulting shaves were about the same. I most enjoy about a 5/8 full hollow or maybe 3/4 hollow, or a 6/8 or 7/8 extra full hollow. But I am not so picky that it makes a great big difference to me. My two favorite production razors, for different sets of reasons, are Bismarcks (both the Dovo and the pre-Dovo model of the same pattern) and the humble but iconic Union Spike. I also have an affection for full-on modified Gold Dollars that I have done for myself, just because they represent my ideal form and geometry. I have made razors from scratch but not being properly equipped and still very much in the learning stages, they don't have a place in my rotation jsut yet. Hopefully this will change in the coming year now that I have an oven and the parts for a twin grinder setup. And another reason for avoiding full or extra full hollow blades as a beginner is the extra work and skill involved in grinding. This adds cost to the razor while making it more delicate and subject to mishandling by beginners.

Within reason, the best razor to have is the one you got. Don't overthink it. But IDEALLY you would want a standard ordinary 5/8 or 6/8 half or 3/4 hollow round point.