Adding a razor to the den

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Leo501, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

I love my first DE, the Merkur 34c, and I like the OneBlade Core I bought on sale. Now it's time to add to the family. I'd like to stay in line with the Merkur's mildness, or medium aggressive at most.

Some features I'd like for my future collection:
    1. Adjustable
    2. Butterfly
    I have sensitive skin with some dryness.

Suggestions welcome.

2. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Merkur Progress?

3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I often said,
    If I'd have gotten the progress first, I would not have a razor collection today. It's that nice.

Leo501 likes this.
  4. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

The progress is very nice. Also, a Gillette slim on about 6 is also pretty mild medium and smooth. It is a butterfly. The feel is a little different ,but still nice and you can find a user grade on eBay for around $20.

AGHisBBS and Leo501 like this.
  5. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

Yes, I was looking at that or the Futur, from what I've read the Progress might be the one to go with.

6. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

I don't have a Futur, but I do have a Parker Variant, Slim, and Fatboy. If nostalgia wasn't a factor I may actually choose the Variant. I had a Progress for a few days. The Parker Variant addresses all the major shortcomings of the Progress. I would definitely recommend the Variant over the Progress

Leo501, Enrico, MR41 and 1 other person like this.
  7. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

I have a Parker Variant that I shaved with for a couple years--great razor.

My boys have q-shave adjustables which are Merkur Future knock offs. Quite mild and smooth shavers. I was pretty impressed with them.

I was recently PIF'd a Gillette Flare Tip that I don't think I'll ever part with (thanks again, Evan ;))--it ticks all the boxes: TTO, mild, and smoooooth.

I also have a Razorock Classic TTO I gave to my son as a travel razor, but he prefers to stick with his q-shave adjustable. The Classic TTO is a nice, solid razor, and a decent shaver as well. I found it to be around mid range on the aggressiveness scale. If you'd like to take a butterfly out for a spin w/out any out of pocket expense, you are more than welcome to it--just shoot me a PM ;)

Leo501 and MrEE like this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Slim or Superadjustable.

timabababaluka and Leo501 like this.
  9. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Fatboy or Slim, both shave the same for me.

timabababaluka and Leo501 like this.
  10. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I have 4 DE. Gillette SC, EJ DE89, Merkur 30c, and Parker Variant.

I like the Parker Variant most. Not a butterfly, but it would be the last to go.

timabababaluka likes this.