Anyone use canned goo only?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by David W650, Oct 12, 2017.

1. David W650

David W650 Active Member

I find Pinaud, Lucky Tiger etc. in ethnic beauty/barber supply stores in the greater Boston area.
    The prices and selection can be quite nice.

2. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I like the unscented post shave balm because it doesn't interfere with my aftershave lotion.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

3. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Isn't that kind of overkill? I can see using a lotion if you're using an aftershave splash but balm and then lotion seems like much to me.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

4. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I use the splash usually AV, or Old Spice right after my shave. I apply the balm just before I leave for work, and it's mainly so that my freshly shaved face is protected from the colder wetter weather that we are starting to get in the Pacific Northwest.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  5. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Nope. If I'm in the mood to hit the "Easy" button (travel) I just use a good tube shave creme like Proraso or I guess even a Cremo would work.

6. Grick

Grick Active Member

Gels give better slickness than foams. The latter are too dry.

steve207 and Ron R like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

stopped using canned products around 2005 .brush and williams after that.no more empty cans in the landfill .my soap containers , when i actually empty them get used for nuts and bolts, etc. never see barbasol around when i am out shopping.

8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

...and Barbasol is actually better than lather made by me when new.

For everyone else:

Goo = gel
    Barbasol is canned foam.

They are not the same thing.

ilts and PLANofMAN like this.
  9. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

That being the case, I have NEVER bloomed the goo!

I do thin the foam. Or is that adulterated the foam?

;)

john zeiger likes this.
  10. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

Surfing forums and breathing some new life into this thread. Only recently made the switch away from the can to soaps and creams. If goo = gel, 2 of my best were Nivea sensitive skin and Aveeno, with oatmeal in the formula. Never found anything special about Edge gels.

Some have mentioned foams, especially Barbasol. I never liked it much and it seemed drying to my skin. When I used foams my preference was Foamy, and I loved the old cans which had a full cap on them. I sometimes sprayed the foam into the cap and lathered with a brush. Tried a can of Noxzema foam once and hated it.

11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The propellent used in canned foams does tend to have a drying effect. Barbasol Sensitive seems to be less drying and more moisturizing than most other canned shaving foam.

12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Canned Goo free, since 2013. Never looked back.

13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

What would you say about Gillette Foamy?(or maybe I just answered that with my question lol).

14. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I use a lot of Barbasol for speed- 3-4 days a week. It’s pretty good.

15. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

I played years with the goo and multi blade thingys....

Now, more with soaps/creams and brushes, but for traveling, have found canned not so bad as some may profess. Barbasol works, still a little sticky (clean feeling) for straight razor shaving, but fine for any safety razor. Recently got a can of Proraso Red, it’s very nice for either open edge or safety razor shave. A bit spendy, but I save it for travel shaves, a couple times a month. The nice lather, slick face feel, and aroma keeps even a travel shave fun.

wristwatchb and Chuck Naill like this.
  16. alex1921

alex1921 Well-Known Member

Ah, here we go. Last week it was, why are you guys using large Japanese razors. Now the questions is why nice soaps and badger brushes?
    Well the answer is, because I want to. I like how they perform so I buy them and I use them. Not sure why it offends anyone.
    Maybe we should all drive a Yugo, it will get us to our destination right?

To answer the original question, I have not used canned foam or goo or whatever you call it since 2010 when I started wet shaving. My father and brother use goo and I still talk to them so probably I am not such an elitist :)

Queen of Blades, Steve56 and godek like this.
  17. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

LOL, using shaving foam is wet shaving as much as using shave soap and a brush. :happy088:

ilts, Ijustmissedthe50s and Ursa like this.
  18. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

3655C70F-A098-476C-AA57-6933FE8F28DA.jpeg Jan 18th

Proraso Shaving Foam - Red
    Rockwell 6s (6)
    Bolzano Super Inox (1)
    Proraso AS - Red

Traveling shave. Cold water rinse, scrub a little foam in 30 hours of growth, rinse. Shake the can, squirt out golf ball size, and smear on the goodness. Awesome aroma, nice and thick foam. Proraso does canned foam right. Foamy lather, I’d almost call it ’flather’. Slick enough to straight shave with. Not on the agenda though, brought the Rockwell 6s. Loaded up a Bolzano, put on plate 6. 3 easy passes for a DFS+. Love this setup!

ilts, wristwatchb, Ursa and 4 others like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

fine shave Blair..

Ursa and b1hart like this.
  20. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I only used canned goo once after I started using a safety razor, just to see how well it worked. Blech, crap shave! I went right back to Kiss My Face cream and have not used canned goo since. That was 12 years ago. Even with a cartridge razor, Kiss My Face worked light years better than canned goo. Good vs. less good - that is an easy choice.