Expensive cell phones?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by J_Man, Jan 4, 2020.

1. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

9467ef19326350dfd0c99101c559042d.png

Based on that chart.....

Apple iPhones ~2.3 years or newer: 16.67% of activations
    iPhone 11 + iPhone XR + iPhone 11 Pro Max + iPhone X

2.3 year or older Apple iPhones: 14.68% of activations
    iPhone 7 + iPhone 8 + iPhone 8 Plus + iPhone 6 Plus + iPhone 7 Plus

2. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Buy what fits your usage.

If you really want to go bare minimum....and don't use cell phone circuitry for making a voice call, get a tablet with cellular option added, and buy data as you need it. Cellular data last year, I spent $20 on a tablet's cellular connectivity for all the data I needed. T-Mobile has a 5 gig or 180 days (whichever comes first) for $10. WiFi handled the rest. Apps can supply VOIP calling over that data connection, and give you a phone number to be reached at.

That being said, I do have 1.5 year old phone technology (still in the working world for ~10+ years). It's my desktop/laptop replacement 90% of the time, and I do have to make/take phone calls many times/day.

J_Man likes this.
  3. Dan The Man

Dan The Man New Member

Sure a 2 and half year old phone performance is matched by today's mid-range. That makes sense. My point was that 2.5 years out (after it's been paid off) it's still a very usable phone and will be for another two or so years. Spreading the cost over 4 years makes the flagship price a lot easier to swallow.

Because I want it is a perfectly valid reason; For me anyhow. No one I know personally uses all the horsepower of their flagships but it's shiny and new. ;)

4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Our only disagreement is in the because I want it area, or rather I want it but not bad enough to swallow the $600 new phone premium over the 2-3 years of ownership (4 no). That $600 money goes instead to stereo equipment or rare French razors which I do buy simply because I want it, a great reason if you got the $

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    DaltonGang, Dan The Man and PLANofMAN like this.
  5. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Status symbol or waving an e-###is.

Wouldn't the best camera be a camera?

The Moto G7 has good battery life, a nice display, multi-carrier support (Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and many others), is unlocked, and costs $250. I have had Moto G series for my last two phones, and they are great!

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

So funny.The best camera in a mobile device is obviously what I meant.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

7. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

Please be more specific--your car stereo could be considdered a mobile device...unless that's what you were talking about. But if so why would you need a camera in your car stereo?

I think you owe us all an explanation.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

jmudrick likes this.
  8. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

My point was that smartphone cameras are not as good as a regular camera due to the size constraints, or will be much more expensive. For some folks, it might cost less overall to save some $$$ on the smartphone and buy a camera for when higher-quality photographs are needed.

DaltonGang likes this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Sure. People go the other way, spending on the smartphone camera, so that they have the best possible with them at all times. I know for me the times when my smartphone camera is not good enough are pretty much non existent.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk