What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Post 1890 Wade and Butcher full wedge, found this one a few back. The scales are not the bone type usually seen on the "lather well" wedge. This was the first full wedge I honed. I can't remember if it was one or two layers. That said, the razor has always performed well and for me a wedge is a type any hobbiest should consider having in their arsenal. It is a "truck". :)

Todays fast result was near shavette.
    38B46ABC-020D-424B-8A7B-006AE8F033CE.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, to The Shave Den. Looks like you have been around for a while, but this is your first post.
    You picked a fine razor to start. What is your experience with straight razors??

3. esvh

esvh Well-Known Member

@DaltonGang thank you for your welcome. I have been a bit of a lurker. Appreciated your postings about razors and honing.

Started straight razor since last august. I bought my first razor from an excellent restorer and honer from a dutch forum.

I got a little bit of the bug and started buying some razors myself and learning to hone.

This razor is a faux frameback. It had a little frown. It took me a long time to hone it.

4. DaltonGang

Welcome, and I look forward to more of your postings, along with your other razors.

5. DaltonGang

Well, it has been around three months, of growing a Goatee/Mustache. It was long, bushy, and thick. I couldn't stand it anymore. I decided to take it all off with one swoop, of a razor. No trimming down, with anything. So, I picked a razor that I had restored a while back, from blade, to custom scales. I took it slow, and found that the 1/2 hollow blade went through everything, like butter. I was quite surprised. I ended up doing a 2 pass shave, that left me BDBS. A couple of weepers, from a few skin anomalies, that decided to pop up, over the months. I am now smooth, slick, and the wife is happier. Even though it was her idea, in the first place.

Razor- Wade & Butcher. Sheffield. Honey Horn Scales.
    Brush- JR#262. Ebony/Birdseye Maple, with Silvertip Badger knot.
    Soap/Cream- AOS Kingsman, Bourbon scented. Great slick cream.
    Aftershave- Shulton Old Spice

P1261236.JPG

6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Detroit National Cut. Co.
    [​IMG]

7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

3190AFAD-3F9A-4870-BD06-3B3CDBD5473B.jpeg 7BBE8474-F194-478D-80FB-BB1225B07DD7.jpeg

Beautiful razor Scott. Your experience is mine, a well honed straight takes everything off instantly. I caution new folks with facial hair to be careful, a cart/DE whatever will hang and pull in heavy hair, not so a straight. It will cut a chunk out of your beard/goatee and you’ll hardly feel it.

Monkey business this morning, stone throwdown from last night’s honing session. Both razors shaved very well, but I have to give the nod to M-2 and the blue Shobu for extra smoothness. The big ugly stone frequently wins these comparisons, but the Shobu defended her honor. And I have felt that the M-3 razor was a little better just based on previous comparisons, so I thought that I was throwing the Shobu a little obstacle.

Soap was Sterling grapefruit lathered with a Simpson 59, and the AS was La Toja Manatiales Hombre, a kind of fresh piney scent. You wouldn’t think that it would go that well with grapefruit, but both are fresh scents and it works well, especially since citrus scents don’t last too long anyway.

Keithmax, oscar11, speedster and 8 others like this.
  8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Welcome @esvh - it is always nice to see new faces! TSD has a good straight razor forum and I look forward to more of your posts.

oscar11, Edison Carter, esvh and 2 others like this.
  9. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Thank you, Gary.:)

brit likes this.
  10. speedster

speedster Well-Known Member

Dueling katana this morning, the Hoshi Tombo 6000 and Kenwa westerns:

849E6918-4AD5-4E42-81F3-0439F507EF87.jpeg

RezDog, Keithmax, Karl G and 12 others like this.
  11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

08D2BE4C-55ED-4944-8535-8E1747B3EA4A.jpeg

I didn’t shave with mine this morning but a Kenwa is a great razor.They’re an asymmetric grind, like a traditional kamisori, and being a folder, it solves the problem of what to do with the razor when you’re done shaving.

RezDog, speedster, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  12. atbat82

atbat82 Well-Known Member

I used a Genco Henry X this morning along with APR Torchwood soap and a Oumo knot. This knot and soap seem to really like each other.

Attached Files:

13. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Wacker Chevalier
    Salter's Hard Soap
    homemade brush
    Thayers Witch Hazel

[​IMG]

speedster, Keithmax, esvh and 10 others like this.
  14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Welcome @atbat82 ! Most of my online images are iPhone 11 Pro, edited on an iPad Pro with the free version of Adobe Lightroom.

speedster, Karl G and Edison Carter like this.
  15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

What’s the knot in the brush @oscar11 ? It’s a beauty.

esvh, Karl G and Edison Carter like this.
  16. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

rps20200126_152303_715.jpg 7/8 Ralph Aust in Rose Wood

Had a fantastic shave with this Solingen blade.Just was refreshed on a J-Nat.

17. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

@Steve56 Thanks, it's a Maggard SHD 2 band. A 26mm knot that measured about 28.5mm. I put it in an 1 1/8" hole and set it at 52mm. IMO, it's an excellent brush (knot) but I'm not real wild about wood handles.

TestDepth, Karl G and Steve56 like this.
  18. atbat82

atbat82 Well-Known Member

Thanks! I didn’t realize there was a free version of Lightroom, I’ll have to check it out. My photos right now are just pure iPhone XR without any processing or editing, but, like with all things, I’d love to “up my game”. I’m going to download Lightroom right now!

Steve56, speedster, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Yes, it’s a good iOS app, the free version has most of the photographic functions but lacks some linking that you get with the subscription.. It also includes a rather good camera app that can shoot RAW and show exposure peaking if you’re into that.

speedster, Keithmax and Karl G like this.
  20. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Playing along with some of the 30DC shenanigans pulled out the En Vogue to go along with one of the shave soap samples I pull out every once in a while to remind myself that I'm not a fan of the scent.

Haven't used this razor all that much but it seems a little lacking. Probably see if the pasted strops bring it up again.

Went with the citrus stuff to mask off the soap smell.

20200126_151917.jpeg