What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I take it that you don’t care for Glastonbury or it’s just too strong? i’ve thought about that soap.

Karl G and Edison Carter like this.
  2. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I jokingly tell the story of my first use of Glastonbury where I was reminded of helping my dad clean an apartment he had after a dirty hippie girl vacated it. She was fond of cannabis and incense, not so much of cleaning.

Being the Stirling Fanboy that I am, maybe I should stop.

Keithmax, esvh, Karl G and 1 other person like this.
  3. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Please don’t Bill, I’m a less-scented Sterling fan. And I’m not against buying a big piece of Sterling unscented to cut the stronger ones with.

esvh, Edison Carter and Karl G like this.
  4. Slash McCoy

Slash McCoy Well-Known Member

GDDeHorned001.jpg

Gentlemen, I humbly present the Gold Dollar 66 that I just shaved with. It doesn't look pretty or excite collector interest or appreciate in value or showcase fancy scale material or expert grinding and polishing. All it does is shave but it did that pretty good. This one is unmodified except for the quickie stabilizer-ectomy that makes the razor even uglier than before, but hones quickly and easily, especially compared to the stock GDs of a decade ago. And it cost me $3.71 shipped, and about 30 minutes of my time to grind and hone. One pass, SAS+ shave, ATG on the neck was reasonably smooth, no AS burn from my Indian formula Old Spice. Brush was a 30mm Whipped Dog silvertip, soap was Arko grated and mugged, strop was a DIY buffalo with fancy saddle D rings on both ends, no fabric, post shave edge maintenance was 50 extremely light laps on lapped balsa treated with .1u diamond paste, held vertically in hand. Overall a very cheap shave, but except for the visual appearance of the equipment (and the Arko smell, which dissapates in a few minutes), a luxurious one.

BTW without grinding the stabilizer off, the new ones hone easily enough, with just a bit of extra heel leading bias. However, in time a heel hook will probably develop. In time as in a couple decades of regular use, I think.

5. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Pre-Dovo Bismarck 89
    There is good heft to this razor, even with the hollow grind... really comfortable to wield.
    6A7E2B96-CE4F-4280-9FF6-E28E59A26031.jpeg
    And we sometimes liken a razor to a fine automobile... how about a Ferrari :).
    552860FD-078E-42CE-B559-0D8BBBD5E9AD.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

RezDog, M14Shooter, GAW9576 and 11 others like this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Always enjoy seeing that razor.

Love the etching on that razor.

Is that razor smiling?

If you ever decide you have one too many..........

Awesome spine work.

A very nice Ralph Aust indeed.

7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Wacker Huntsman

ID - 1.jpeg

8. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

9. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

0AC7F3FD-B045-4F19-B0B0-870CFAE3D139.jpeg

The heel looks fine @Slash McCoy it’s the rest of the razor that's ugly, lol! Have you ever tried a Japanese style heel? Here’s a random image of that type from the auction site.

10. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Thanks, Keith.:)

Keithmax, oscar11 and Karl G like this.
  11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

EC41F0B0-89C6-46A0-A028-FA910F753E5D.jpeg

Shave #69 with the Filly 14 Sub Cero, and still going strong.

Tom, one interesting diversion that I like to do when I have an address on a razor, coffin, or dresser box is use Apple or Google Maps to see what’s there now. So what’s at No 50 Via Ferarri, Campobasso? Image above.

12. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I love all of my John & Wm Ragg razors, today’s choice was no different. :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    AOS Lavender PSO
    Savile Row 3824
    Barrister’s Reserve Lavender
    John & Wm Ragg 11/16 Napoleon
    AOS Lavender After Shave Balm

IMG_1502.jpg

Happy shaving - Karl

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Stirling & Böker shave this morning. Happy Monday!
    [​IMG]

14. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

I love the history/research, and that is a cool addition of "what is there now." I have seen Compobasso show up on quite a few razors.
    Thanks Steve!

esvh, Karl G, Edison Carter and 2 others like this.
  15. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Love those scales :love029:

16. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Yep, those are lookers for sure

esvh and Edison Carter like this.
  17. Slash McCoy

Slash McCoy Well-Known Member

Yeah I have. I can make them purty if I want. And sometimes I do, for a gift or for my own use. I just wanted quick and dirty for that batch so I could get them to the flea market and get them off the table for a reasonable price and not be paying myself $3/hr for my time. Here is an example:
    MakingRazorReducedTo600.jpg

or here are some more:

GoldDollars2018Sept_19.jpg

And a pair trying on their new shoes before final pinning. The one in the foreground I was experimenting with artificial patina using Ospho, in an effort to increase rust resistance and just give a different sort of finish. Blonde horn for the shiny one, black buffalo for the gray one.

$LightandDarkwPenReduced.jpg

I don't have any pics of Japanese heel GD mods and I don't think I have one to take a pic of, but I have done a few, yeah. I just like to keep as much blade as possible and I like to go French Point and then make the heel have the same curve as the nose. These pretty much never get sold. Too many hours of work in one to take what the market will bear, and the market won't bear what I think my labor is worth. They are fun to do, though.

18. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Very nice work Mr McCoy!

oscar11, esvh and Slash McCoy like this.
  19. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

1B56CAD8-1EF6-4FA4-AAD0-AABE307AB205.jpeg
    Pre 1890 Wade and Butcher, what makes this razor special to me is how the metal restored itself by simply being used as I knew I didn't want to intentionally remove over 130 years of use. Other features that make it special is that it came from an estate sale, so no razor seller involvement and of course the barbers/hollow point tip. The thin bone scales are rubbed smooth and kept separate by a lead spacer. Truly a time capsule. Near shavette with a 200k diamond edge.

20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

44E20AFA-F17C-4FCD-9BC4-577A53C9AF61.jpeg

Shave #70 on the Filly 14 Sub Cero esdge longevity test. Bill, I think it’s going to cruise past 75.... Cream was AoS Ocean Kelp and the brush was a Maggard SHD knot in the Scott Lockwood hippie handle. This is why I was asking about your knot @oscar11 it looked very familiar! This is a 22mm knot set at 50mm and I don’t think that it would stand less. AS was a dab of ABC balm. The shave was great, and I always seem to get a good shave with AoS creams, they work for me.