Micromatic Monday

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GAW9576, Dec 2, 2019.

1. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Thank you. It was fun making it and it handles very well. I hope to make a few more handles soon.

2. Flintstone65

Flintstone65 Well-Known Member

Today was a Magnificent Micromatic Monday -- this MMOC (later model with the internal "bumps") was my very first GEM-style razor. I really like open combs, and even though this razor had a (IMO undeserved) reputation for being aggressive -- I had an awesome first shave with it (no blood, no irritation) and down the rabbit hole I went. Today's shave reminded me of that very first shave....no drama, just comfort and smoothness. Here's a pic of the equipment: GEM Micromatic (Open Comb) with a GEM SS PTFE blade (shave # ???), and Proraso Blue (cream) lathered with a RR 28MM Plissoft Beehive.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    jimjo1031, PanChango, Droo78 and 3 others like this.
  3. GAW9576

I had a very enjoyable shave with my Kampfe Brothers Star razor on my bullet casing handle today. Oddly I got better results when the shave angle was VERY steep. More experimentation needed. The little bit of irritation I did get was during the initial shallow angle first pass. That irritation quickly dissipated. However I started thinking how I usually get little to no irritation on the back of my neck which is almost exclusively steep angles. So I finished the rest of the shave with an almost 90 degree blade angle. This resulted in a very close comfortable shave. I'm sure steep angle shaving isn't right for everyone. But today with this razor that's what worked best for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

You guys are taking MM to a superior and higher level. :bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017:

GAW9576 likes this.
  5. GAW9576

Micromatic Monday approaches. Who will join me. I am leaning heavily towards one of the Micromatic open combs

6. Chuck Naill

I had a post hike Micromatic Sunday.
    GEM.jpg

jimjo1031, Ron R and GAW9576 like this.
  7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I will be in with a open comb Damasakeene for a GEMonday, I had a close shave today with a Schick ajustable M3 and the MMOC would be overkill more than likely.

GAW9576 likes this.
  8. Chuck Naill

And a Micromatic Monday
    062E0114-CA4F-4E73-9B58-DA9AF292652F.jpeg

Some will say they can as good of a shave with a straight as a safety razor, but they may not be familiar with a Micromatic. Not only a great tool, but a fast tool if one has an early morning meeting.

jimjo1031, GAW9576 and Ron R like this.
  9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday, Feb3-2020, Just a quick 2 pass shave with a great razor, my true GEM Damaskeene Open comb 1912. Its not aggressive but just mild Mid range with great efficiency to make it a winner in my rotation of razors.

Razor: GEM Damaskeene open comb-MFG 1912-15 one of the most successful razors ever designed after 1900's. They sold millions of different variants up to 1940's.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE-(2) another great blade.
    Soap: TOBS Sandal wood. Great masculine scent.
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft- great synthetic brush.
    Pre shave: Brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera Gel on beard area.
    Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2.
    Post shave: Proraso red Sandal wood + witch Hazel + Nivea balm for men.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + minor irritation + no weepers= [​IMG]
    GEMonday ,Feb 3-2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    jimjo1031, Chuck Naill and GAW9576 like this.
  10. GAW9576

Thanks for joining in today @Ron R and @Chuck Naill. I went with the bumpless MMOC this morning. It was a great shave even though I only needed a quick cleanup after yesterday's shave.

[​IMG]

jimjo1031 and Ron R like this.
  11. GAW9576

BTW looks like @Chuck Naill and I are on the same wavelength.

Chuck Naill likes this.
  12. Chuck Naill

That BMMOC looks new. Great find!!

13. Flintstone65

Flintstone65 Well-Known Member

Chuck Naill likes this.
  14. GAW9576

Thanks but it only looks new because the top is up. It has a burgundy patch on the top that I can only assume is either paint or some kind of corrosion. I don't know enough about brass to know what it looks like when corrosion sets in. I have seen some brass with greenish gunk on it just never seen burgundy before.
    Either way it shaves great so I'm on the fence on whether I should try polishing it up or not.

15. GAW9576

I had a fun Daily Double today. I realized I hadn't tried this Durham yet. I used it for the first pass then used the trusty Ever-ready 1914 for the rest of the shave. I enjoyed the Durham but I really think these blades could be improved with a hanging strop. I am going to have to solve the lack of a hanging strop soon. The ER performed very well with a 6th use Meijer blade. I even kept the blade to give it a chance at a 7th use which is unusual for me. The soap I used today was a goats milk soap a friend made. It lathered and performed quite well but I added a bit to much water.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  16. GAW9576

Today's shave was slightly rushed but overall pretty good. I've been enjoying cold water shaves lately.

[​IMG]

Terry, jimjo1031 and Chuck Naill like this.
  17. GAW9576

I had a great shave today with the Gem Featherweight Deluxe and a 3rd use Meijer blade. To bad the gold wash is faded so much on this one. I really like the groved handle on the Featherweight because of the positive grip and feel it gives. These are great razors. I just have to do a bit more buffing in tough spots than some razors. However doing so the results are close with very little irritation. Some razors make me pay for buffing on the neck.[br]The Stirling Pharaoh's dreamsicle lathered well with cold water on SHD two band badger.[br][br][​IMG]medical anthropologist salary

jimjo1031, Chuck Naill and Ron R like this.
  18. Dirtfarmer

Dirtfarmer Well-Known Member

Does a Gem Junior count? I forgot I had this razor until I started going threw this thread. I think it, the Christy and a Valet Auto-Strop may be the only 3 razors I own that I haven't used. But, I think I'll give the Gem a go tomorrow. At least 1 pass because I'm not sure about the blades I have. I don't remember if I got them at the Dollar Store or CVS. I don't know anything about this razor but where the handle goes onto the head, it says Pat'd 1912 and under the cap it says GEM Brooklyn New York Made In The USA but I don't know how to date it. I'm looking forward to using it after reading this thread.

IMG_0846.JPG

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    jimjo1031 and GAW9576 like this.
  19. GAW9576

Absolutely, and welcome aboard. The Gem Jr. Is a great razor. I'm not the best with razor manufacturing dates. But @Ron R and a few others could probably help with that. If you've read this thread you've probably seen that the razor should be held nearly flat to the face.
    Here are the instructions for my Gem contour which has the same shave angle.

[​IMG]

jimjo1031, Chuck Naill and Dirtfarmer like this.
  20. Dirtfarmer

Dirtfarmer Well-Known Member

That's how I planned to start out to see how it worked. It kinda felt like that's the angle it should be running a empty razor across my face. I found an old thread here that puts it at either 1912 if it had Damascene? blades or 1924 with the made in Brooklyn stamp. I don't know one way or the other but I do know it's older than me so that makes it 100% cool in my book. Thank you for the info.

GAW9576 likes this.