What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I am not sure what this is a testimony to :)

The superb Razor
    The honing
    Your stropping technique
    or your shaving/prep regime

Let us just call it "Doing it Right" :D

2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

It’s mostly a testimony to curiosity, lol. I got 63 shaves from a Cape 1000 Swedish Steel and 67 from a Filly 14 DT. I am curious if the Sub Cero steel holds an edge better - that’s the reason for this particular razor test. At this point the answer is yes. Stefan (he sold me the razor) was also curious and asked to keep him informed which I do via a thread on SRP. There have been a lot of threads on how long an edge lasts but not much real information.

I want to do a Gold Dollar too, but I’m resisting shaving with one that much unless I get some better scales on it because they’re just not that much fun to shave with.

3. esvh

esvh Well-Known Member

@Berberbey inspired me. Some time ago I saw a sedef for sale in a turkish supermarket. I bought one last monday.

I shaved part of my face with the sedef. It was actually quite good.

The straight razor is a pradat brun french frameback. The blade is damast steel, I think.

Shaving soap was cade by l'occitanne.

[​IMG]

4. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Lunds were on my mind today... This one is always vying for the top spot in my den. It made it’s case again today with a simply superb shave - smooth and sharp. :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    Argan Oil PSO
    Barrister’s Reserve Lavender
    T&H Wellington Super Badger
    Lund 6/8
    Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel

IMG_1505.jpg

Happy shaving - Karl

5. atbat82

atbat82 Well-Known Member

I used this nifty Henkotsu Hinoshita Kaizan this morning along with Wholly Kaw Pasha’s Pride. Both were excellent. I haven’t seen a Japanese razor like this before, most I see are the Kamisori style without scales. This is ground the same, but folds with scales... it’s also a bit annoying to strop. The handle geometry and the loose-ish pivot mean I need to pay a little extra attention. But the shave is worth it!

Attached Files:

Keithmax, Edison Carter, esvh and 7 others like this.
  6. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Beautiful razor. :happy096:

esvh, oscar11 and atbat82 like this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Tonight's shave, was with a fine German made razor. I had a super smooth, 2 pass shave, that left me BBS. Zero issues, and no touch-up needed. I have a couple of these razors, and they are fine shaving. I resstored this one, but left the patina on it, a while back. I think the patina fits.

Razor- T.Hessen Bruch & Co. Germany
    Brush- JR#262. Birdseye Maple/Ebony. Silvertip Badger knot.
    Soap- Arko/Avon Spicy scented
    Aftershave- Vintage Avon Spicy

P1281237.JPG

8. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

L.F.&C. “Universal”
    Landers, Frary & Clark out of New Britain, Connecticut started up in 1865 and sold a multitude of items until their assets were sold to GE in 1965.

The “Universal” brand was an umbrella brand for many items they sold, including one of the first bread makers. They purchased Humason & Beckley Manufacturing Co. in 1912 and added pocket knives and razors to their stable of goods.

One of my smaller razors, but a joy to use.
    005EB824-63F0-4A5A-A41C-94305EBFCB33.jpeg
    Pulled a very early Razorock soap out for the shave... Cacao. It seems to be their pre-P160 soap that is very similar to Cella in scent.

Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

9. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Demascara 5/8
    23CAC12C-FDD4-4B5E-A25B-6D57F857AD9B.jpeg
    3m film progression to 200k diamond pasted balsa produces a same as shavette shave.

10. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I figure 75 is good........ then you can just send it over...... I'll see it is well cared for.
    :cool:

esvh, Steve56, Keithmax and 1 other person like this.
  11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I see you have been using your time machine again.

Great work and I do like French points with where the heel and nose have the same curves.

There she is

Karl G and Steve56 like this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I do love me some fine Japanese steel, as opposed to those fake Japanese hollow ground razors this Nichiri is a "Real Japanese Hollow Ground" razor.

ID - 1.jpeg

13. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

MK 32 Heljestrand
    Strop Martin J. Rubin 4601 New York
    Muhle Fibre Silvertip
    Declaration Grooming Weinstrasse Shaving Soap
    Chatillon Lux Weinstrasse Eau de Toilette

14. speedster

speedster Well-Known Member

Test shaved a couple of blades off of the 12k Naniwa SS last night.

Guess which blade wound up much easier to figure out given Glen’s very recent “Honing — Reading the Temper” thread? I may still take that guy back down to 5k and see about upping its sharpness a touch without “chipping teeth.”

9F3185EF-1BE2-457D-A436-9DB2559E8B68.jpeg

15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

28E937B8-06B8-47A7-8BA3-DBFFFB33106A.jpeg

@Jamie Mahoney always has good taste, so I followed his lead. CVH MK 33, cream, balm, amd Edt was AdP, and a Keyhole 4 did the mixology. Perfect shave and Colonia scent always makes for a great morning. 10/10.

16. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Very cool razor Chuck. Love the engraving on the scales.

Karl G and Chuck Naill like this.
  17. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Steve, seems I'm in good company then, looking at some of the razors you guys put up.:)

Steve56, Karl G and esvh like this.
  18. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Tuckmar "World Star"
    Spanish Leather
    homemade brush
    [​IMG]

Edison Carter, esvh, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  19. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

Fromm 72 Special 5/8 Extra Hollow

20200128_223059.jpg

20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Many of the razors the gentlemen at TSD put up are works of art, vintage, modern, and custom. I need to expand my collection!