Lost interest in using AS

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by LaneP, Jan 25, 2020.

1. LaneP

LaneP Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's a phase or not but I've totally lost interest in applying any sort of AS following my shave. I've taken to just rinsing my face with cold water and blotting it with a towel then that's it.

In some climates the weather gets so cold and dry you do need some sort of moisturizer after showering/shaving, but lately I've not been having any issues with dry skin so I really don't need anything. I visited Iceland in December of 2004 and it was so dry that when I got out of the shower it felt like my face was going to crack if I didn't moisturize it.

I keep all my AS's handy, including TN Dickinson and Thayer's just in case I need them.

Just curious if anyone else has gone through one of these phases.

PLANofMAN and Leo501 like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Not me, A/S has been a constant while razors, blades. soaps and creams came and went.

John Beeman likes this.
  3. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

Opposite, oddly enough. Completely uninterested in AS until first using one just a few months ago. Big fan now.

I have definitely gone through those phases with shaving itself, though. Last summer I quit shaving entirely, but by the end of summer I suddenly discovered I'd missed it. You're probably pretty wise to hang on to those AS after all.

Leo501 and Carson West like this.
  4. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Well, what Soap are you using? Some Soaps do moisturize a bit.

5. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Check the ingredients on original Sea Breeze. Lots of moisturizers.

6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Most of the time, a cold water splash is enough for me. I do have a bottle of Superior 70 if I want a splash.

7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I sometimes forego AS, but I rarely go skip the moisturizer. My normal post-shave routine includes a hot and cold water splash, witch hazel, shea butter, and aftershave. I never cared much for scented products until the last few years. Now I really enjoy using them.

8. LaneP

LaneP Well-Known Member

This is true. I primarily rotate between TOBS, Stirling and Proraso Sandalwood foam (I know I know, but this stuff is good for a quick, smooth shave).

9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I love using aftershaves. I tend to have oily skin, so aftershaves with alcohol seems to help my skin. Besides, I love the scents.

SilverSwarfer, LaneP and 178-bplatoon like this.
  10. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I went through a phase awhile back where I neglected my DE’s in favor of my Injectors but it passed eventually.
    Never tired of aftershaves. I think the smells of shaving (soaps, aftershaves, etc) are one of my favorite things.

LaneP likes this.
  11. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

I went through a phase where the only thing I used was Nivea sensitive skin. I just wanted something light, unscented, and alcohol-free. At the time my 2 other favorites were Afta and Gillette sensitive skin balms. Since December I've been experimenting and am completely down the AS rabbit hole- Proraso (2), Duke Cannon, Cool Wave, Ogallala, Clubman, AV. I just absolutely love ending my shave with a scent that lingers for me.

Oddly enough, I started back to trying colognes too but some make me sneeze, something that never happens with AS.

LaneP likes this.
  12. Jesseix

Jesseix Active Member

Yeah I’m the opposite as well, I seem to keep adding to my post-shave collection. I’ve found that my skin has really become used to splashes with some face goodies though, I’ve gone back and tried some drugstore brands lately (Pinaud, AV etc) and they really don’t do it for me.

LaneP likes this.
  13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Never. On the rare occasions I don't wear an aftershave to please my wife, I'll wear one to please myself.

In the early 1700's Farina's cologne was so expensive, a single flacon cost the equivalent of 3 months wages for a skilled worker. That was pretty typical for any cologne or perfume.

Think I'm ever going to pass up the chance to smell like a rich man? :cool:

Paul Turner and LaneP like this.
  14. Lipripper60

Lipripper60 Member

You hush! I finish a shave with a dab of raw Shea butter warmed between my palms and applied to my whole face. Then sometimes I splash on a drugstore AS or move on to a Scent House perfume. That is my routine unless it's bowhunting season when everything becomes scent less.

LaneP likes this.
  15. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

All the years I used canned gel and multi-bladed carts, I never used AS. I didn't know what I was missing then. Not going back.

SilverSwarfer likes this.
  16. Slash McCoy

Slash McCoy Well-Known Member

My very first ever shave was with a Gillette Spoiler blade in a Super Adjustable, don't remember what brand of canned goo shaving cream, and a splash or three of Old Spice. After I transitioned to straight razors, I kept using OS until they went to plastic bottles and a different formula, and I tried Brut, a few others. Meh. Lost interest in using AS. Then I discovered Clubman. Suddenly I was using AS again. Internet spurred me on to trying other stuff, various Bay Rums, LayRite no. 9, Indian Old Spice, and now its funny but lately I don't feel all that compelled to use it if I shave while GF is at work. If she is home, I use it cause she loves it, and loves to guess which I have on out of about a dozen on hand. I sometimes even cheat and just have a dab on at bedtime without shaving. I don't really care one way or the other for just me, but she likes it so I use it for her.

Caught her sniffing my bottle of Ogallala Bay Rum a few weeks ago. LOL! So I been using it frequently.

17. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I take it she liked the Clubman?

18. Slash McCoy

Slash McCoy Well-Known Member

On me, she would probably even like The Veg.

19. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

I am personally more intrigued with aftershaves than soaps.