Gibbs Replica Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by feeltheburn, Jan 14, 2020.

1. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

If there's been any mention of this I missed it so sorry if this is old news to anyone. I'm a big fan of the Gibbs adjustable razor and just noticed someone is coming out with a replica of it that takes standard DE blades with no need to notch the ends. Not sure what it'll be made of - maybe not brass like the original at the price they're going for, but if it shaves like a real Gibbs it might still be a winner.

https://heritagecollectionshaving.com/gibbs-replica-razor

I've also tried the Rex Ambassador and it's excellent. It shaves almost as smooth as a Gibbs, has a great handle, and takes care of the blade problem. But the original is still just a bit smoother to me. I'm really looking forward to this new one coming out.

gorgo2, PLANofMAN, brit and 2 others like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is pretty cool. I would love to try the original.
    [​IMG]

3. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

That Razor Has Intrigued me Also.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

brit and feeltheburn like this.
  4. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

I'd never heard of the "Gibbs Adjustable", but looking at the replica, I like the looks of it.

5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Interesting..............

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

French, in production 1938-mid 50s. Produced in both aluminum and brass variants.

[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

7. feeltheburn

There's a little info out there on them, mostly on another site but there's some here too. The Gibbs is a vintage French-made razor and uses proprietary blades that are just normal DE blades with notches in the ends. You can modify any DE blade to fit pretty easily either with a punch or by trimming the end tabs but that does turn some people off. The price of these razors has gone up quite a bit the past few years as people discovered what great shavers they are. They are a bit hard to find but generally you can find one if you're willing to pay a fairly hefty price - usually over $150 for one in good condition. Often quite a bit more.

There was a Personna branded version of the Gibbs that took normal DE blades but these are very rare and if you can find one, expect it to cost at least $400. I saw somewhere that the Rex Ambassador was modeled off this version. It's slightly more aggressive than a Gibbs but they're adjustable so not really a problem. I like the Gibbs set around N, which is where you'd expect a 3 to be - right between 2 and 4. I think the N stands for Normal or something like that. On the Rex, I turn it down a little lower - about 2.25 is perfect for me.

8. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

S Barnhardt and feeltheburn like this.
  9. feeltheburn

@jmudrick I've noticed you have been touting the virtues of the Gibbs for a long time. Had you heard of this replica already? Just wondering if there's any more info on it besides what's on their website.

S Barnhardt likes this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I saw mention on another forum but don't have any more info .

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

S Barnhardt and feeltheburn like this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

If this razor can replicate the shave of an original Gibbs and they can come in at a price point under $100 it should effectively kill the secondary market for vintage Gibbs adjustable razors.

If they are really ambitious they will improve design slightly so the adjuster knob always lines up at 1 on the lowest setting regardless of how it is taken apart and put back together. This razor if done right I can see also putting a serious dent in the contenders like the Rex Ambassador, Homelike Taiga besides killing the vintage Gibbs market once the word gets out.

Best way to do that is if they happen to be a member here is to do a prototype pass around and build up demand prior to launch.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    PLANofMAN, brit, feeltheburn and 2 others like this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I should clarify it will kill the market for wet shavers looking to buy original Gibbs adjustables to shave with not the collector market. If anything it will expand the former to them instead because you don't have to modify blades and don't have to learn french to buy one on ebay.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    mrbaho, PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  13. feeltheburn

From the pics it looks like a pretty faithful reproduction. I'm a little surprised they seem to have copied it right down to the short, plastic handle that most people seem not to like. Replacement handles could be an extra cost optional item for them and if they interchange with the originals, I think that would be cool.

@BBS I think you're right about the market for originals, but only if this replica really shaves like an original. The Rex, maybe because it's stainless and heavier, is close but doesn't quite get there. Not sure how zamac might affect the shave if that's what it's made from. It might make it closer to the aluminum version which may be fine. I haven't tried the aluminum one.

I think a prototype pass-around is a great idea. Not sure if they are on this or any other forum though. Looks like they're pretty close to launch so there may not be time for them to do that before release at this point. Website says 30-45 days but I have no idea how long it's said that and these things always take longer than anticipated so I hope they're listening and think about doing a pass-around.

PLANofMAN and BBS like this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

There will always be a contingent that will whine about handles. If it is an exact reproduction it wouldn't matter if they didn't like the handle in either case. There already is someone who makes replacement brass sleeve handles for the vintage Gibbs razors. They should fit on this one as long as they use the same thread style.

Besides weight and balance is overrated anyways for razor handles once you know how to use a razor to work the way you want it to instead of cheating. Unless your hand strength is lacking or you have arthritic fingers you should be able to hold the razor in such a way that your fingers or hand are controlling all the work. It is a skill that should be innate especially if you are proficient with using a straight or shavette. The other way to practice to learn it properly is make a devette or sevette and you'll learn real quick how to properly work a DE or SE razor where it is all about the fingers and hands and not handle balance or weight when holding the razor.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  15. ehsa

ehsa New Member

i have been watching for this one to come out. john

16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I also want to clarify concerning razors like the Ambassador and Taiga, there are a group of wet shavers that will buy those razors regardless. That segment will also most likely wind up buying this razor also so marketing to them is not needed. The group that will make or break this razor are the ones that won't buy expensive razors and especially razors in the $200+ range but would buy something upwards around $100 but are leery of doing so for whatever reasons. One example at least in my case is value for what you get. The Ambassador which I have used is a very good razor but I would never buy it at that price or one above $100 because they depreciation value on them. They drop by in some cases $100 the second you try to resell them as seen on BST listings and elsewhere. At least with a Gibbs I may spend $100+ but I can get out of it what I have in it most cases and not sit on the razor for months trying to resell it if I don't like the razor. I'll spend the $100+ on that before I'll do the same for any new razor.

With this razor the depreciation factor is also much less of an issue because of price. Unless there is no demand the depreciation price should be a lot less than a more expensive razor. Assuming it is around $20 that is a cost I can easily recoup by buying a few razors that I can flip and make about $5 on each which is quite doable if you find the right Gillette razors cheap enough.

17. José Santos

José Santos Active Member

I have a gibbs that Im trying not to buy xD but after reading all this, I've sent a message to the guy xD

feeltheburn and cliffb599 like this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Looks really nice. Brushes look great too.

19. José Santos

José Santos Active Member

Look what arrived in the mail after taking with you guys..

[​IMG]

Cearball, Keithmax, totjoe and 3 others like this.
  20. feeltheburn

Let us know how it shaves!

José Santos and S Barnhardt like this.