What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Wade and Butcher: Sadly I can get a good edge but not a great edge on this razor,

IMG_7992 1.22.55 PM.jpeg

Karl G, GAW9576, Steve56 and 9 others like this.
  2. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

John Williams
    Damascus Sheffield Steel
    This particular razor always reminds me just how good a Naniwa 12k edge is... so enjoyable. :)
    19264977-A0E6-449B-8130-2C978FE057E8.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

Karl G, Keithmax, M14Shooter and 10 others like this.
  3. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Doroscher 5/8 B41FB3C1-6711-423B-9841-0BDAAB1B670B.jpeg

Karl G, Keithmax, GAW9576 and 6 others like this.
  4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

5B123157-3BE3-4710-A7CE-828042D3D605.jpeg

What would you take on a trip on the Orient Express? How about a pair of Joseph Rodgers ivory choppers, Floris 89 cream, balm, and EdT, a small brush, and a journal and pen to record your adventures!

For the Rodgers fans, here’s a link to some interesting historical information. I had heard some English makers used Swedish steel, but never knew that Joseph Rodgers did, both for knives and scissors as well as razors.

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/2173-joseph-rodgers/

Karl G, Keithmax, GAW9576 and 8 others like this.
  5. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

@Steve56 Thanks, love the history stuff.

Cherub
    MWF
    homemade brush

This one sings and I couldn't be happier with the blade.
    [​IMG]

Karl G, Keithmax, GAW9576 and 9 others like this.
  6. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

NOS 11/16 H. Diamond General TOWA

Had a wonderful shave with this Vintage Japanese blade.Was BBS in in two passes. rps20200204_194123_313.jpg

7. atbat82

atbat82 Well-Known Member

I’m trying to figure out if I’m more jealous of your razors or your photography! In either event, great photo and lovely razors.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Spanish made razor. Newly acquired, restored, and honed. On its maiden shave, this razor performed exemplary. I had a perfect 2 pass shave, leaving me with BDBS skin. My first shave with a Filarmonica, and It was great. Zero issues.
    The brush and shave cream were donated by @oscar11 . The cream was very slick, and had a fantastic scent. Lathered like a champ too.

Razor- Filarmonica 13. Novodur. Jose Monserrat Pou. Made in Spain
    Brush- @oscar11 , Cobalt Blue/Black, with synthetic knot.
    Soap/Cream- AOS Oud.
    Aftershave- Pinaud Clubman

P2041249.JPG

9. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Great to see all the work on that razor paid off with an exemplary shave Scott!
    :eatdrink047:

10. DaltonGang

Thank you.

Karl G, oscar11, esvh and 1 other person like this.
  11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

12. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

F. Herder 15/16” 1685817B-52B7-4F7D-9C46-02BAADE4CB64.jpeg Honed using a combination of 3m films, Yellow Coticule, MMTT Thuringian, and 200k diamond pasted balsa resulting is a whole face same as shavette result. Oh, and linen and horse hide Illinois strop.

Keithmax, speedster, Karl G and 8 others like this.
  13. atbat82

[​IMG]

A great 2 pass Shave this morning with this ME Rappenhagen. This is my 8th day in a row with a straight razor and the technique feels like it’s starting to click. I’ve found turning off the bathroom fan and listening to the audible feedback really helps.

Still working on Figuring out an ATG technique, but for now 2 passes is plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Great looking razor Scott, and a Filly is a fine razor - you have a nice addition to the herd!

You’re getting there @atbat82 - ATG isn’t any harder than WTB, it’s just in the other direction! Take your time and enjoy the ride, ATG will come when you’re ready.

Keithmax, TestDepth, oscar11 and 3 others like this.
  15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Shave #72 with the Filly 14 Sub Cero, cream was AoS Ocean Kelp lathered in a Stirling bowl with a Rooney 1/3 Silvertip. AS was ABC balm, shave was perfect. It’s still rockin’.

16. DaltonGang

Just a note, if your face is sensitive, and ATG is difficult, try going without a shave for a couple of days, to let the skin heal a little, then try ATG again. If it is still uncomfortable, then the blade isn't quite sharp enough.

17. atbat82

Thanks guys! I'm certainly not going to force it as my shaves are just fine without it. And I oversimplified a bit, I'm actually OK against the grain on my neck as the beard grow left to right. I can't figure it out on my checks where the beard grows north to south. I think I need to figure out the grip really. I'm having a hard time keeping the angle correct (I tend to get too steep when going ATG). @DaltonGang you're probably right about letting the beard grow out of a day or two... but that means I couldn't shave for a day or two and shaving is way too much fun!

18. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Sweet :drool:

19. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

7/8+ Tally-Ho in Honey Horn

Had a fantastic shave with this Vintage Sheffield blade.The steel was just awesome. Smooth as silk.Great blade. rps20200205_135637_399.jpg

SammieM, Keithmax, oscar11 and 10 others like this.
  20. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I could get a decent shave out of this Lund but it never felt like a top performer. After about 3 shaves trying and a refresh on my own I gave up and sent it and 2 others from the same seller to Glen @gssixgun for a re-hone. Yowza - a full notch better now. :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    Argan Oil PSO
    Mystic Water Brown Windsor
    Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip Badger
    Lund near wedge 11/16
    Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel

IMG_1558.jpg

Happy shaving - Karl