What Manly Things Did You Do Today?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by jwr0201, Jan 17, 2015.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Sorry to hear. What is your profession, and what are you looking to do now??

Enrico and S Barnhardt like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Quality control (industrial) ~15 years and construction ~20 years

I'd like to get back into construction maybe as an inspector?

Terry and DaltonGang like this.
  3. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

Replaced the burner assembly in my water heater. What a pain.

gssixgun, BigMike and Enrico like this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Anything with a water heater is a pain. :angry032:

:eatdrink013:

barbersurgeon likes this.
  5. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

so true

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Stumbled upon a barbershop nearby. Guy did an excellent job. Ever have your neck shaved, Osage Rubbed, then blown dry with a compressed air hose? Hoo boy.

Terry and Enrico like this.
  7. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    It was a crappy day :D

Had to unclog the septic, the good news was it was only clogged at the Backflow protector and I saved $325 by checking BEFORE having it pumped

DaltonGang and Enrico like this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I pick this up (free) about three weeks ago (minus the tv and radio). It was in rough shape, but I realized it had enough internal space to make a nice record cabinet.

1951-PHILCO-TELEVISION-SERVICE-MANUAL-PHOTOFACT-50-T1476-T1477.jpg

When we first started it wasn't much more than a weak shell, but my son and I have been working on it in our spare time and have made some serious progress.

:happy093:

9. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

I remember TV sets like that long long ago.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Terry and Enrico like this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

We were listening to our portable record player till late last night and when I tried turning it off the switch, it failed to work. It turned, but acted unconnected. So today I took it apart and realized it had been broken many years ago and finally failed. I went to the hardware store grabbed some parts and my epoxy. I had to relocate the light under the power switch, but it all back together and better than ever!

IMG_1630.JPG

:D

9nein9, Terry, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  11. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

I know this is "telling my age", but that's okay. I remember the day when this type of thing, along with other electronics, were routinely able to be fixed. Parts could be had and a repairman was in a lot of towns. But not now. We have one electronic repair shop in our area. From what I've read it's primarily there to do "so-called warranty repairs" for companies.

9nein9, Terry and Enrico like this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm very old school ..... I do have a flat screen ~4 years old, laptop ~6 years old, microwave ~24 years old, ..... from there things only get much older (stereo equipment 45-55 years old). If I can fix it / modify or build it I'm very happy. I haven't had cable tv or dish for ~15 years (only use antenna).

As I said before I'm like a little bird "Cheap, Cheap, Cheap" ..... and very happy for it.

:eatdrink013:

Terry, barbersurgeon and S Barnhardt like this.
  13. S Barnhardt

??? Old

[​IMG]

Terry and richgem like this.
  14. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Also doesn't have a headphone jack. :p

Seriously... my grandfather had one of these which he restored himself and then unfortunately sold before I could get my hands on it. :(

15. S Barnhardt

Just saw one of these on a local Craigslist. Asking $400 unrestored. ???

Terry likes this.
  16. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I have no idea what the going rate is these days. I suspect that prices would be coming down, but IDK.

S Barnhardt likes this.
  17. S Barnhardt

I think a lot of asking prices on Craigslist, and eBay bears no real resemblance to what something is actually worth. It's more of a "wishful thinking" kind of thing just like their estimation of the condition of the item they're trying to sell.

9nein9 and Terry like this.
  18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Went to get my taxes done .......

:sad024:I whined alot, but didn't cry about owing state and federal ........ wife's work messed up and didn't pulling state of federal from earnings. I remember her submitting the paperwork too.

:prrr:

Terry likes this.
  19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I was slandered at work Monday. I was not present, but it was relayed to me by parties who were there. Management is dealing with it. The only manly part is that I did not take matters into my own hands, which would have borne bitter fruit.

9nein9, Terry, Sara-s and 2 others like this.
  20. stream26

stream26 Member

I'm going to send out my wedding invitations tomorrow, out since my wedding is the weekend before Thanksgiving, a strange travel time. I am pretty surprised that people send invitations so close to the wedding, I feel like I'm going to have to fight myself to not send the formal invites too soon!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    Terry, Enrico and S Barnhardt like this.