SOS: February 2020

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Boojum1, Jan 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brit

brit in a box

cool shave and pic Clint..

clint64 likes this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The 1914 has been my only SE for a couple years, excellent shaver but the stops are worn and I want to give something else to try.

Ron R and clint64 like this.
  3. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

The Shavette Showdown is over.

I think it was after Thanksgiving that I set out to do some side by side shavette comparisons. I finally ended it this week.

It was....

The Japanese made Feather Artist Club DX with a Feather Professional Super loaded up.
    vs
    The enonomy Italian made Focus R21 Evolution with half a Feather DE (for the sidebar Feather throwdown).
    vs
    The unique Italian made Focus R28 Slim Al loaded with the Max Headroom shavette fave GSB.

In the beginning, the DX/Super combo ruled with the ability to sever my facial hair with the greatest of ease. It continued at the top throughout. Somewhere around 3 or 4 things seemed a little rougher which I theorize the point the coating is wearing off. Ultimately it went longer than the other tools. Since I'm not an Excalibarian, I was satisfied at 7 even though sloppy work can still easily get you a sneak peak at some of what's inside that melon on your shoulders. (yeah I did!).

The $14 tool did it's job admirably. For the Feather subcategory, Artist Club wins except for the day the coating was failings. On shave 6, I had to call a reliever from the bullpen after the first pass.

The super light, all aluminum Slim Al with a GSB went a full 6 shaves and was retired with honors. The consistent smoothness of the GSB shines. I use this combo to make quick shaves more than anything.

[​IMG]

This excercise was fun.

It did cause me to realize how much adjusting has to happen to compensate for the wear on replaceable blade shavers.
    True straights are maintained every shave and can go a surprising number of shaves before failing. One guy over in straights is at 75 now with a fine Spanish tool. I did strop the DX after the first pass on #7 and saw improvement, but I won't be doing that.

For the sake of anyone considering taking up the shavette to learn open edge, I'd say changeout after 3. I'm returning to my 4-5 shaves per blade.

Edison Carter reporting for Network 23 or 20 minutes into the future. Shave free.

Str8on2, jimjo1031, Ron R and 16 others like this.
  4. hins2jw0

hins2jw0 Well-Known Member

Saturday February 8th SOTN

Pulled out the Oneblade and a fresh Feather for tonight's shave. Very easy and comfortably done. Happy shaves all.

Josh

[​IMG]

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Str8on2, jimjo1031, clint64 and 18 others like this.
  5. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

9 February 2020

* Blackbird Brass SB 101
    * Wizamet Iridium Super
    * Super 3-Band + ZenShave Snakewood C7
    * Mystic Water Sandalwood Rose
    * Unrefined Shea Butter
    * Bergamot/Vetiver EO

[​IMG]

Str8on2, jimjo1031, clint64 and 18 others like this.
  6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

February Favorites

February 8

Razor - Muhle R41
    Blade - [​IMG] (1)
    Soap - Soap Commander Courage
    Brush - 30DC Meet Up LE w/ TGN Grade A Silvertip
    Post - Alum

The sun came out in Cartel land today and Jennifer rode with me for my daily tour of all the finest neighborhoods in need of food in the Lou. We finished up with dinner at Bandana's...a local BBQ joint that isn't top tier but hey, they are cheap and it's definitely edible. They have a variety of sauces available. I did make them take the KC Style sauce off the table. I don't want any second rate stuff contaminating the place I eat!

Home and time to shave and I moved to the Muhle R41 tonight. Given it's February Favorites, and I do love aggressive razors, I thought it deserved some attention. Loaded up the Sharp Star and used the Meet Up brush with the very cool Bolton Flayed Man on it to get closer to the end of the Soap Commander. I'm closer, but still have a ways to go. Fine lather and I did three full passes. The Muhle feels even more aggressive to me than the Wunderbar slant. There's a lot of blade out there on it but it performed flawlessly. Held the angle on the cap and made it through with a BBS and only slightly warm alum. Fine shave to end a fine day.

Hope your Saturday was great and here's to a fantastic Sunday to finish up the weekend!!

[​IMG]

jimjo1031, clint64, madmedic and 15 others like this.
  7. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Thanks Gary. Your kindness is always appreciated. I enjoyed the Knight Helmet and Future Fiction. Both were first use products and were quite good on their maiden voyage. I must admit I did not know what to expect from the razor because it looked so aggressive, but the geometry works well and I thought it was smooth with plenty of blade feel. I was careful to avoid razor burn by over shaving, but obtained a nice close shave without irritation. I am looking forward to the rest of the week but will add the chill of the cube or chill mill probably tomorrow since I'm a sucker for the cold.
    Steve

8. Smooth Steve

Nice photo and shave yourself Gary. I really dig the SMDF soap. Great stuff my friend.
    Steve

clint64, TommyCarioca and brit like this.
  9. Smooth Steve

Nice brush Andrew. Who made it? Very cool and not just the snow.
    Steve

clint64 and Droo78 like this.
  10. Smooth Steve

Thanks Tim. I really like the WCS brush. After not really buying any brushes, I bought a few and have been spreading the love between them. I need to use the WCS brush more, it really is a great quality product and outstanding value.
    Steve

clint64 and Edison Carter like this.
  11. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Thanks Steve. The brush is a Turn-N-Shave. Milton Shave

clint64 and Smooth Steve like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

awesome..

clint64 and celestino like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

thank you Steve..the SMDF soap is great stuff,fantastic scent and performance..

clint64 and Ron R like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

fine shave and pic Josh..the proraso blue is excellent cream..

clint64 and hins2jw0 like this.
  15. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Thank you Steve.

16. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Sunday SOTD

[​IMG]

Razor: Red Imp 133 11/16 Full Hollow spike point
    Brush: MS Faux Horn 30MM 2 Band
    Bowl: TDG Style 4 5½” Cypress Sinker Log
    Pre-Shave scrub: MRGO Lime
    Pre-Shave Balm: Mickey Lee Lime
    Shave Soap: Barrister's Reserve Spice
    Aftershave: Barrister's Reserve Spice

Str8on2, jimjo1031, clint64 and 21 others like this.
  17. alfredus

alfredus Well-Known Member

Thank you sir :thanks:

clint64 and brit like this.
  18. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

SUNDAY'S SHAVE

[​IMG]

Razor - Gillette Red Tip Superspeed circa 1955-1960 (Re-plated in Satin-Nickel Finish and re-painted tip in Radiant Red color by Razor Emporium.)
    Blade - [​IMG] *8th shave
    Shave Brush - Ever-Ready 1960's vintage (Polished and re-knotted with a synthetic 26mm Ubersoft II knot from Envyshave by Razor Emporium.)
    Shave Stand by by Desire Metal Works
    Suds - Procter & Gamble Old Spice "Original" Cream (Made in India) *I dried it out for months into a hard soap.
    Aftershave - Procter & Gamble Old Spice "Classic"
    Deodorant - Procter & Gamble Old Spice "Classic"
    Fragrance - Procter & Gamble Old Spice "Classic"

***EDIT - 2 passes + very minor cleanup in the usual stubborn spots. Lately I can't seem to have a bad shave. I'm sure eventually I'll get a shave that irritates, but right now I'm on a good streak. Great shave today. I like this modern Old Spice just fine even if it's somewhat different than the classic. The opening is still refreshing & clean...and the dry down is still spicy & warm.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  19. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Date:- 09 February 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
    Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
    Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
    Soap/Cream:- Tabac
    Razor/Blade:- Karve CB Matte SS 'SB-C' / Vintage NOS English Wilkinson Sword #2
    Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10)
    Fragrance:- Hugo Boss (Original)

Str8on2, jimjo1031, alfredus and 18 others like this.
  20. James Kleinkauf

James Kleinkauf Well-Known Member

Sunday 02.09.20 SOTD

DSCF0056 - Edited (1).jpg
    RazoRock Pre Barba Pre Shave Gel
    Gillette 1953 Y3 40s Super Speed
    Astra Superior Platinum (1)
    RazoRock 24mm Barrel Silvertip Badger
    RazoRock Mudder Focker Shave Soap
    RazoRock Mudder Focker After Shaving Splash

DSCF0065 - Edited (1).jpg

Str8on2, jimjo1031, ilts and 21 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.