Barrister & Mann shaving soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Yehuda D, Feb 8, 2020.

1. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

B&M is a bit unique when it comes to scents and VERY similar to Southern Witchcrafts in that you are sure to not encounter another soap that smells quite like it.

Hallows is a dark cocoa vetiver strangeness that smells wonderful but not for everyone.

Baudelaire is another B&M favorite. Was not a big fan at first but quickly got a custom to the unique scent.

As for soap Bases go, you can't go wrong with any of the B&M bases IMO although I find B&M to be hit or miss from time to time for Some reason. Some are softer than others (new Soft Heart series) and the older White Label and Vegan (TRE Cotta) are quite firm.

Pick a scent that sounds interesting and see how you like it. Samples are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

What I meant is...you say you think Articque isn't around anymore, but you still have some left over.

Yehuda D likes this.
  3. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Oh ok - now I know what you mean!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul Turner likes this.
  4. Paul Turner

I've been doing a lot of grandfathering of various items since being a member.

Yehuda D likes this.
  5. Yehuda D

Me too.

6. Paul Turner

It's fun, isn't it?

Yehuda D likes this.
  7. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

When I first stated Wet Shaving about 18 months ago, I watched a lot of videos. About different products mostly, but regardless you were bound to pick up some technique pointers. To my eye, most people weren’t using very much water to get their lather started. They were either squeezing all the water out of the brush before starting or shaking it out, etc. My early lathering experience was an exercise in patience and frustration. Especially for B&M products. I’d get the lather I wanted eventually, but it might take a good 3-5 minutes! Was mostly bowl lathering at the time.

Then I watched a video of Will from B&M lathering his reserve line. He left his brush fairly drenched, and lo, prodigious lather spring forth, from his supposedly temperamental reserve line. Ever since then I start with a lot more water in my brush, and my lathering takes a fraction of the time and is of much better quality.

I may adjust brush wetness slightly with some soaps, but I am no longer using a dry or damp brush for anything. Life’s too short! It’s called wet shaving after all!

Yehuda D, Tdmsu and brit like this.
  8. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

I discovered the same things. I had problems lathering when I start with a barely damp brush. A brush full of water works great for me and I haven't found a single soap (of the 40 or so that I own) that doesn't respond well to this techique.

Yehuda D likes this.
  9. Yehuda D

Yeahhhhh!

10. Yehuda D

I was told that in general these B&M soaps tend to be quite thirsty.

Preacher likes this.