Bay rum

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by RobertTaylor, Feb 8, 2020.

1. RobertTaylor

RobertTaylor Member

Bay rum ingredients

2. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Is this a question or statement? Yes, those are the main ingredients, plus a liquid carrier and your choice of skin food...

If you really want to make your own, google some recipes. Stay away from recipes with Cloves and Cinnamon as those are not that good on the skin (many people present allergies to these two ingredients) . Also it may help to reference this:

Paul Turner and Juno like this.
  3. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Oh also keep in mind that you can't just use Bay Leaves from the Grocery store. They must be Pimenta Racemosa Leaves.

4. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

I really like PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum,

Weasel640 and Terry like this.
  5. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

:happy088::happy088::happy088:
    tp

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    As far as I know, a truly traditional 'Bay Rum,' consists of Pimenta Racemosa Bay Leaves soaked in Rum for an undetermined time, then it is filtered to remove the leaves.

A very basic barbershop style Bay Rum like Master's has:
    Deionized Pure Water, SD alcohol 40, Glycerine, Bay Oil, FD & C Yellow #5, FD & C Yellow #6.

PAA's Atomic Age Bay Rum has:
    Alcohol, West Indian Bay Hydrosol, Essential Oils, Fragrance Oils, Hedione, Seaweed Extract, Liquid Silk, Glycerin, Aloe Vera

A more complicated artisan offering like Derby City Chop Shop's Winter Reserve has:
    Alcohol, Witch Hazel, Aloe Vera, Glycerine, Kentucky Bourbon, Pimenta Racemosa Leaves, Cinnamon, Cloves, Blood Orange Zest, Vanilla, Rosewood, Allspice, Rosewater, Vetiver.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    Jesseix and 178-bplatoon like this.
  7. Campion

Campion Active Member

I love bay rum. St John's is outstanding and overpriced, but years ago it became my daughter's go-to gift for Daddy so I always have some. I always have a jug of the Pinaud VIBR in the house, but the one I reach for the most often is Stephan's. A splash of Stephan's and a dusting of Pinaud Clubman talc or bath powder (which I prefer) gives me that just off the barber's chair scent.

Paul Turner likes this.