What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

5/8 Russian Straight made in 1969

Had a very close shave Today with a piece of history from the Old Soviet Union.This razor had very hard steel.It was a bit of work honing her to make the razor shave ready.But was a worthwhile effort.The edge just destroys whiskers with little effort. rps20200213_110035.jpg

Keithmax, oscar11, TestDepth and 10 others like this.
  2. speedster

speedster Well-Known Member

Another shave with the Manaslu M-55 after taking it back to the JNats. This time a harder nakayama with a bit harder tomo and finishing on a heavier slurry than the previous efforts with an altogether different finisher/tomo. Resulting edge was much smoother than the previous edge and a good bit sharper.

Brush is a monster 31mm M&F silvertip badger. Once more, I’m finding Pannacrema Nuàvia Verde irresistible. Guess I must have Spring on the brain...

4310FEF5-54DF-4F2C-8435-0E0537307BC7.jpeg

Keithmax, oscar11, atbat82 and 10 others like this.
  3. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

I had a great shave today with my Hoshi Tombo 6000 and Gem Jr. Bar.

[​IMG]

Keithmax, oscar11, TestDepth and 10 others like this.
  4. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

That’s a fine looking Gem Junior you’ve got there. I wouldn’t pass up the Hoshi Tombo either. :cool:

5. GAW9576

Thank you. I made the handle on the Gem. And I got both razors in trade deels with a friend.

6. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Geneva Pyramid 7 6/8, films and stones produced edge with final touch of 200k diamond paste. This combination always provides the same silky. smooth , efficient edge for a near or same as shavette shave.

E8DD447A-8E10-442C-97E4-BA92D05E498C.jpeg

7. atbat82

atbat82 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I figured I’d go with a red theme for Valentine’s Day so I broke ok the Red Imp and some red soap (or at least a red soap container).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Case 133 Red Imp, soap was ABC lathered with a Simpsons 59, and I was wanting something a little lighter in the AS department today, so D. R. Harris Pink got the nod. Perfect shave.

F32271F5-4FC0-420C-9179-6B0E9FC1F908.jpeg

9. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

My grandfather’s name was Valentine. So, today seemed like a good day to shave with his razor. Wonderful :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    AOS Lavender PSO
    Romera Wengue Chubby Manchurian Badger
    Castle Forbes Lavender Shaving Cream
    Nielsen’s Never Fail 5/8
    Castle Forbes Lavender After Shave Balm

IMG_1580.jpg

Happy shaving - Karl

10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Looks like the Red Imps are popular today! Nice scales @atbat82, mine are shrunken a bit as almost all are now, I relieved the wedge a bit with a hacksaw blade so the nose wouldn’t hit it, rotated the wedge to help with that then tightened the pins. It could stand to be re-pinned but it’s fine for now.

11. atbat82

Thanks Steve! Mine came the same way - toe of the blade was resting on the wedge. The seller actually included some new 3D printed scales, but that type of repair is beyond my current skillset/knowledge/desire. So I sent it off to Max Sprecher for new scales and had him hone it (since I'm sure the edge was ruined). Pretty sweet shaver now.

12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

You sent it to the right guy, I like those pin collars a lot. I’ve actually seen the blades chipped at the toe where someone tried to force the blade open/closed and hitting the wedge.

Edison Carter, oscar11 and Karl G like this.
  13. atbat82

That's one sexy brush!

speedster, oscar11 and Karl G like this.
  14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Beautiful razor @Karl G - always like to see that one!

Edison Carter and Karl G like this.
  15. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    GOING TO TOWN VALENTINES DAY SHAVE:

RAZOR - TOSUKE
    STROP - SRP BUFFALO
    BRUSH - 26MM SHAVEMAC BADGER
    CREAM - AOS SANDALWOOD
    SCUTTLE - GEORGETOWN
    A/S - OGALLALA BAY RUM/SANDALWOOD

CCS 1 SINGLE MUTI-DIRECTIONAL PASS

SHAVE ON !!!

(CCW S&W 1066 YES THEY ARE BLACK TALONS)

[​IMG]

16. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Cherub
    Xpec
    homemade brush

This was the blade that I complained about having a harsh shave with. A good stropping and a little lighter pressure did the trick, excellent shave today. So it was the "Indian not the arrow", a self induced problem. I'm off to Texas for a week hunting hogs and javelina for a week with my longbow. Some of these Japanese razors are built like Cadillacs, can't help but notice the irony in this. Have a good one.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Keithmax, TestDepth, Karl G and 10 others like this.
  17. GAW9576

That's a beautiful razor. Love the transparent red scales. Great photo too.

speedster, oscar11, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  18. atbat82

Thanks! I can’t take any credit for the razor, got a deal on BST and Max Specher put the scales on (and did a real nice job). The photo came out great, but Adobe Lightroom helps a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. M14Shooter

6/8 Dovo Bismark 2

Had a wonderful shave with this modern Bismark .Love the balance and how this blade handles.I love the thumb notch and the embellished scales. Blade was just refreshed on my J-Nat .Shave was very smooth and close . rps20200215_004731_315.jpg

20. M14Shooter

Great Razor and great choice of ammo .I carry the same type in 40S&W with a SIG 229

Karl G and gssixgun like this.