The Daily Double.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by GAW9576, Nov 28, 2019.

1. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

I had a very enjoyable cold water shave today. I went with the PAABOCS using a 4th use Nacet and the TNNSER 3D using a 3rd use Meijer SS blade. Both razors performed very well. Sterling pharaohs dreamsicle on a RazoRock Bruce lathered quite well even with cold water. All in all a great shave especially with the audio feedback of these two razors.

[​IMG]

Chuck Naill likes this.
  2. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Plastic King for a Day brother Greg!!!:bounce017:

GAW9576 likes this.
  3. Flintstone65

Flintstone65 Well-Known Member

It has been a while since my last Daily Double (really too long), and today was a very special one for me: a GEM Damaskeene (Open Comb) and a Weck Sextoblade (with 1909 Patent date). Now the importance of this is that I have never-ever shaved with a straight razor, shavette or straight-razor-like-object....an SE has always been as ambitious as I would go. So here are the gory details: as the ambulance rushed me to the hospital, I was thinking, why, why, WHY didn't I JUST use the GEM....

Just kidding, it went surprisingly shockingly well. I made a very wet lather (which is pretty easy to do with MWF), loaded a Personna Hair Shaper blade into the Weck, put the guard on (because I'm a big chicken and I wasn't going to do this without the guard), and then heeding the excellent info and advice I've gleaned from the Internet (and my very good and supportive friend, @GAW9576 ), I made my first pass. All I thought about was "keep the skin flat and just wipe off the shaving cream with the blade, if it cuts hair than that's okay too".....and guess what, it cut hair. I shaved the entire right side of my face (throat and all), and while there was still plenty of stubble left on my face, there was also plenty of stubble on the razor. I then trusted the instincts of all those who have gone before me on straight shaving, and switched hands (and the guard) for the left side of the face, and while it wasn't as "natural" feeling, or as much hair removed, I did the entire left side. Now I did skip my chin, and I was careful on the upper lip, but I had a successful, mostly full-face WTG pass. My beloved GEM OC Dammy finished the shave with the next 2 passes, and the result was a VERY nice BBS shave. I did end up with some minor irritation on my lower neck -- that was because the hair grows S to N on and below my Adams Apple, which means if I don't change direction on the WTG pass (and I didn't with the Weck pass), I risk irritation. I also got a single nick/weeper on my Adams Apple which required the alum block. All that aside, I was VERY happy (well, truthfully, I was ecstatic) with my inaugural shavette/SR-Like-Object shave.

Here are a few personal take-aways from this very special Daily-Double:
    1. I am hooked on the Weck Sextoblade. I’m going to continue to work on my technique, and this razor will be riding shotgun with an SE or DE for a good long while, but it is FUN to shave with and I’m going to keep at it.

2. I will one day take off the training wheels (i.e., the guard), but it’ll be on for a good long time….I want to be completely comfortable before it comes off.

3. While the Weck was a really fun shaver, it also made me appreciate my GEMs and Injectors. After putting the Weck down and picking up the GEM Damaskeene, it was like shaving with a cart….only a 1,000 times better. There’s nothing like leaving your comfort zone to help you really appreciate it when you get back there.
    [​IMG]

Manumik, Chuck Naill and GAW9576 like this.
  4. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

When did you get interested in straight razor shaving. Very nice DD. Good to hear from you, Fred. If you ever decide to get a vintage straight, let me know. I'll send you one or hone one you find.

GAW9576 and Flintstone65 like this.
  5. Flintstone65

Thanks Chuck, that is very generous....I may take you up on that one day; but for now I'm just sort of "dipping my toe" into those waters. My start down this path (as was the case for Injectors and SE's) was inspired by you -- I found some comments you had written on another forum on starting SR shaving and that combined with @GAW9576's looking at the Durham which led me to the Weck....well it all came together. What I liked about the Weck was the "training wheels" (aka "the guard"), and also knowing that my honing skills are in their infancy (actually they are almost non-existent), and since I'm more accustomed to buying pre-sharpened blades, and I tend to like vintage stuff (love that the Weck Sextoblade is Pat'd in 1909)....well, you get the picture. My research had suggested that while this wasn't truly Straight Razor shaving, it was one of the closer experiences to it with a disposable blade.

At this point, I'm enjoying the novelty of holding a razor differently and "feeling" like I'm shaving with a straight....sort of like a kid on a tricycle who feels like he's riding a bike. And I figure I'll hang out on the tricycle (or bicycle with training wheels) for a good while. I've still got some SE's to explore, but I'm starting to feel like those days are more behind me than ahead of me, so this may be my first step towards a new journey....or not....can you tell I'm still on the fence? :)

GAW9576 and Chuck Naill like this.
  6. GAW9576

I'm honored to help you along the way on your journey @Flintstone65

Flintstone65 likes this.
  7. GAW9576

I had a fun Daily Double today. I realized I hadn't tried this Durham yet. I used it for the first pass then used the trusty Ever-ready 1914 for the rest of the shave. I enjoyed the Durham but I really think these blades could be improved with a hanging strop. I am going to have to solve the lack of a hanging strop soon. The ER performed very well with a 6th use Meijer blade. I even kept the blade to give it a chance at a 7th use which is unusual for me. The soap I used today was a goats milk soap a friend made. It lathered and performed quite well but I added a bit to much water.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Flintstone65

It was a Weck Williams Wednesday with a Schick C1 Injector for a Daily Double. I'm still working on my Weck technique, but even with my nascent "straight shaving" skills, it was a great shave today. 1 and 3/4 passes with the Weck (guard on, of course); and this new-to-me Schick came in to transform the good shave into a great one.
    [​IMG]

9. GAW9576

Today's shave was slightly rushed but overall pretty good. I've been enjoying cold water shaves lately.

[​IMG]

Chuck Naill likes this.
  10. GAW9576

Today's shave featured a Gem Jr. Parade with 4th use Meijer blade and a Schick Type B repeating razor with a new Proline B20. I haven't used this Schick much because the head was loose and would pivot during shaving. Tightening the screw didn't help. So yesterday I disassembled it and tightened the gap where it pivots. Success now it is very tight and doesn't move while shaving. I did most of the shave with the Schick and my wife shaved the back of my neck for me with the Gem.

The Mer Shavings Fougere Orange lathered well with cold water on the SHD two band badger brush. A great shave altogether.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. GAW9576

I had a great shave today with the TNNSER 3D using a 2nd use Meijer blade and the PAA Alpha Ecliptic with a 5th use Nacet. Most of the first pass went to the Alpha. Then things were split pretty evenly between the two till I did the back of my neck wich was all TNNSER. Tabac Lathered very well on the SHD two band badger. So much so that I even took a picture. Witch hazel with a little lotion mixed in was used for the finishing touch. A great shave all around with two great razors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Chuck Naill likes this.
  12. GAW9576

I had a great shave today with my Hoshi Tombo 6000 and Gem Jr. Bar.

[​IMG]

Manumik and Chuck Naill like this.
  13. GAW9576

Today's shave featured a Daily Double of dueling feather blades. Both the Fatboy and the Greager were loaded with new feathers. A Proguard for the Greager and a New High-Stainless for the Fatboy.
    The Greager lead then the Fatboy went through the full range of settings for the second pass and cleanup. However it was returned to 1 before handing it off to my lovely wife to clean up the back of my neck. Sterling pharaohs dreamsicle lathered quite well with my SHD two band badger. A splash of witch hazel with some lotion mixed in wrap things up.

[​IMG]

Manumik and Chuck Naill like this.
  14. Flintstone65

I realized that I had forgotten to post my Daily Double from yesterday, then looking back I noticed I haven't posted since Feb 5th! So I'm going to play a little catch up. Basically, I am still learning the Ways of the Weck. There was a small incident on my last Weck Wednesday where I had a muscle spasm in my arm and gave myself a cut on my lip. First real cut since I started using non-cart razors, and the worst self-inflicted shaving wound since I started shaving at all. It'll heal, but I've got a 5/8 inch horizontal cut right dead center of my lip. My wife suggested that I may have to grow a Charlie Chaplin mustache.

So fast forward to yesterday's shave, and all went well. I'm using a safety razor (in this case the RazoRock Eco with a half Nacet blade) for my lip and chin, as well as 1 to 2 cleanup passes....other than that, I've been using the Weck Sextoblade (with the guard). In case your wondering -- and you probably already knew -- the guard is like the fencing they put up on ski slopes to keep people from wandering over the edge....it's more of a warning than protection. I remember skiing and thinking, "man, if I hit that pathetic little fence with enough speed, I'm just going to keep going and die".....same concept with the Weck guard (or any safety razor guard, I guess)....without the death. So here are a couple of recent Daily Doubles. The first is the shave with the "incident", and the second was yesterday's shave.

Schick C1 (Proline B) | Weck Sextoblade (Personna Hair Shaper blade) | Jayaruh #373 Boar | Haslinger Honig | Thayer's Rose
    [​IMG]

RazoRock Eco (Half Nacet) | Weck Sextoblade (Personna Hair Shaper blade) | Yaqi 24mm 2-Band Badger | Valobra Fougere | Thayers
    [​IMG]

15. GAW9576

Very nice. Great photos too.

Flintstone65 likes this.
  16. Flintstone65

Had a Daily Double Weck Wednesday. Given the day, the Weck took center stage (2 passes) and the Gillette Popular stepped in with a couple of passes to clean-up the cheeks and throat, with a little more needed on lips and chin. Soap was the Meissner Tremonia Dark Limes and the brush was the Lapis (real stone) 2-band Manchurian badger Elite Razor brush. Overall it was a really awesome shave!!! The Weck is starting to feel natural (emphasis on the "starting to") and the Popular was just fabulous (it was my first shave with it)!!! I've got to say, the British really elevated the Gillette's they produced.....I've thoroughly enjoyed my RFB's and now this Popular.
    [​IMG]

GAW9576 and Chuck Naill like this.
  17. GAW9576

I had a very nice Daily Double today with a Gem Damaskeene loaded with a second use Meijer SS. And the Gillette new long loaded with a second use Feather New High-Stainless. Cremo cooling blended with Arko on SHD two band badger lathered very well.

[​IMG]

Chuck Naill and Flintstone65 like this.
  18. GAW9576

19. GAW9576

Today's Daily Double consisted of a great shave with a Gem MMBT with guiding eye and a Ever-Ready 1914 today. Both shared a 5th use Meijer SS blade. I went with a horse hair brush and Tabac for lather and a witch hazel Splash with a little lotion to finish things off.

[​IMG]

20. GAW9576