How many shaves do you get out of these vintage blades?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Angelo85, Feb 17, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

I recently ordered some vintage DE blades: Gillette Spoilers, Schick Plus Platinum, Personna 74* and recently received some Wilkinson Sword Super Sword Edge blades. I’ve heard that the vintage blades last longer than modern ones and wanted to know how many shaves YOU get out of each of these blades? I’m thinking once I get the Gillette Spoilers, Schick Plus Platinums and Personna 74*s I’ll do a personal experiment of my own to see how many shaves I can get out of one blade of all the vintage brands I have (including the WS). If I can get anywhere between 5-10 shaves on one blade that’d be great. Again I’d like to hear how many shaves you can get from these blades. I understand that it’s a case of YMMV but I’d like to hear your experiences.
    Wilkinson Sword Super Sword Edge
    Schick Plus Platinum
    Gillette Spoiler
    Personna 74*

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I can get 30 shaves from a Wilkinson Light Brigade. 20 from a Personna 74 and the same from a Gillette Spoiler. That's me, though.

Somnos and Angelo85 like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

i went 10 each on the spoilers and brit wilkinson sword edge..nice blades.

Angelo85 and Somnos like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Any suggestion on a pairing with the Muhle? I have at present 3 days growth waiting to be mowed down. *rubs hands*

Primotenore likes this.
  5. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I’ve tried a couple of Schick Plus Platinums and a couple of Gillette Spoilers.
    I was disappointed with both so I thought maybe they had been stored poorly. I didn’t examine them under a microscope but they looked fine to the naked eye. I need to find some more and give another run at it.
    Personna 74 I’ve done well with including Personna 74 injectors.

Angelo85 likes this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I would choose your smoothest blade. Maybe a Polsilver or a Spoiler. What ever you do, ride the cap.

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Smooth? Spoiler it is.

8. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I use vintage blades exclusively. I made the change years ago for the better shaves and the longer blade life was an added benefit that I believe is quantifiable proof they're made better.
    I get 30+ from Personna 74s and 12 to 14 from all others. Before, when I was using modern blades I'd get 3 to 5 uses from a blade with one notable exception. A fair to middling make called Lord Cool would give me over 12 shaves. I don't get it, they weren't the closest but ....
    Oh, and it's great to be back. I don't know why I stopped posting here years ago but I suspect it just slipped my mind after a device change.

Angelo85 likes this.