Honing on a Japanese Natural

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by gssixgun, Feb 12, 2020.

?

Which best describes what your J-nat looks like when you are done honing a SR

1. Clear water

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Slurry

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. speedster

speedster Well-Known Member

My honing efforts today were on a wakasa Alex was kind enough to let me evaluate. I’m working the slurry quite a while to where it’s just barely damp. About to go do some test shaves, so wish me luck fellas. Ha! While I’m experienced with honing, I still have a lot of feel and experience to gain with respect to these JNats.

This is a shot of the dried slurry on the hone. Glen says I’m getting closer...taking any compliments I can get at this point. Lol:

B53CD8EA-5B82-4662-B103-63A88D939396.jpeg

2. basil

basil Well-Known Member

My honing lately has only been light touch ups but I start with a light slurry and slowly dilute to just plain water.

I don’t rinse the stone or the blade though so maybe some of the slurry from the blade ends back up on the stone as I’m doing my finishing laps.
    Either way lots of interesting information in the last few links. I used to read all the jnats honing info years ago and be totally lost. Once I finally got a jnat in my hand though they finally made sense lol.

Edison Carter and DaltonGang like this.
  3. speedster

speedster Well-Known Member

Both test shaves went remarkably well yesterday, with my Toyo frameback providing the smoothest, sharpest shave I’ve gotten off of a JNat. The other blade, a Manaslu M-55, gave me a great shave but could have been better. I think I cheated a bit with the Toyo because it was more of a refresh compared to the other razor that saw a lot more work.

Regardless, I am certainly having fun and success finishing on slurry.