Which razor is better product

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by FurryFan93, Feb 20, 2020.

1. FurryFan93

FurryFan93 Member

Hi guys! I'm ready to buy my 2nd razor and I had to cancel my order which was expected to come next week.. I got fears now of 3pc razors a little after getting sliced up on my fingers by a blade. I'm just wondering out of the Wilkinson sword and Weishi razor sold on Amazon currently which would be a better product overall?

My current razor cheiftain requires me to dry it off after every use and that gets a bit old after a while so i would like one if one of these 2 are them that's great but one that doesn't need to be towel dry after every use.

Enrico and Terry like this.
  2. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Try a vintage Gillette TTO, after a while try a 3 piece vintage Gillette.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Woodrow66, MR41 and Enrico like this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You shouldn't have to towel dry the Chieftain or any modern DE unless you don't want it to air dry.

If you want a razor you don't have to handle the blades try a Schick injector. You use a key to load, unload and reload the blades. The only time you have to touch the blade with your hand and that is optional is when you need to dispose of the used blade. You could just as easily push the blade off the counter using something besides your hand into the garbage pail.

The one I would suggest is the later Schick adjustable injector razors with a feature called the protector. It locks the blade guard in such a way that if you grab it by the razor head you can't cut your fingers as long as it is engaged. The other reasons are that with an adjustable as your technique improves you won't need a new razor since it can grow with you by dialing it up or down and it is one of the few Schick razors that can use both single edge or Schick II twin blades and both will perform exceptionally in the razor. The twin blades are more costly but I think worth every penny since they last at least as twice as long as single edge injector blades and are much more smooth which means less to no irritation and minimal to no nicks even in a very aggressive injector.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

If you decide to go the injector route this what to look for to get an adjustable with the protector feature as seen here on the packaging.
    sa3.jpg

The first is the dial, if it has a cross style in the center as seen on the packaging and here it is most likely the one with the blade protector.
    sa2.jpg

Second is to make sure it has that protector lever on the opposite side as seen here.
    sa1.jpg

SevenEighth likes this.
  5. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Theyre both made in China so its kind of a six on one, half dozen in the other kind of deal. Ive used Weishis and theyre good razors but very mild. Ive not used the WS but Id certainly trust any Wilkinson Sword product to at least be decent, even its its just a rebranded Chinese razor.

6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

How about a Parker 96R very similar to the Gillette Black Beauty. Also Parker 82R that's very close to the Gillette Super Speed. You can find both on Maggard Razor for less than $30.

Just a thought.

:eatdrink047:

7. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Either one razor will be decent. The Wilkinson might be a little less mild. As someone said above, think about a vintage Gillette Superspeed. Same money and hard to beat if you like a TTO.

SevenEighth likes this.
  8. Woodrow66

Woodrow66 Member

Purchase a vintage Gillette TTO safety razor on eBay or Etsy. You can pick up one for $10 to $15 dollars. You wont regret it.

Enrico likes this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I would normally encourage vintage; such as a Super Speed, or regular Flare both made by Gillette and very easy to find, even on the cheap. Some people aren't receptive to the idea of using a used AKA vintage razor, though once properly cleaned are as good as new. PM me if you have any questions and I might have a spare Flare razor to set you up if your interested

:eatdrink013:

Somnos, Primotenore and Woodrow66 like this.
  10. FurryFan93

FurryFan93 Member

So I started to look at the Parker razors on amazon, Just curious though is the 66R a good one for somebody looking for something mild or is it aggressive? You kinda sparked my interest in Parker brand a little.

11. Daywalker

Daywalker Active Member

The Wilkinson TTO is most likely a rebranded Weishi 9306-P anyway (thread).
    So out of the two I'd say go with the Wilkinson - not much more expensive, but faster delivery, better refund options and the cool Wilkinson Logo.
    But I would rather buy a "regular" Weishi 9306 (here CL - C for gunmetal, L for long handle), because I found the knurling to be much more ergonomic/less slippery (personally I also prefer shorter handles). You can save a few bucks if you order on AliExpress - but got to have more patience.

12. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

I just found one of these locally. It comes in a soft zippered case. It's on hold. I guess it's worth picking up. It needs some cleaning. Not sure how to clean the case.

Attached Files:

13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Warm soapy water and a toothbrush.

Juno likes this.
  14. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking. My other thought was put it in the washer with a small load of underwear and socks.
    The razor itself is in need of a deep cleaning. It looks horrid but it's all just dried up soap scum. I've never seen a case like that before

15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

If you do anything heavier than warm soapy water you'll run the risk of the labels on the handle and knob coming off or worse. You don't want to go too hot on the water or else you also risk the possibility of discoloring or warping the handle.

16. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

I was talking about the case.

17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

woolite or similar in the sink like you would clean delicates

18. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

Ahhh...yes. Woolite!

19. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Well.....
    I remove then toss (bin) the blade, rince and clean my razor with a toothbrush and dawn dish soap.
    Then I dry it best I can with dry clean rag.
    I put in the bedroom for drying.
    I do this every time I shave.
    I shave every morning.
    I have about 100 or so razors.
    I treat them all the same.
    No judgement here.
    I like nice clean tools.

tp

20. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

I assume you don't use shaving brushes.....:)

Terry likes this.