Has anyone used acupuncture?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Sara-s, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I am considering this for my knee pain. I know there is some supporting science but it would help to know about other people’s experiences? Did you find it helpful? How many treatments did you need? How long did the relief last, before you needed to get more treatments?

Keithmax and gorgo2 like this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

YMMV of course, but my mother tried it about a year ago for her knee pain. She found it helpful for her particular condition ("athletic knees") but also didn't like the fact that it was (in my words now) like going to the chiropractor, in that there's no real "end" to the treatment schedule or final "cure." She also felt that it wasn't as helpful as time went on, so she stopped going.

I've never tried it personally, but the science does seem to be there, at least for some conditions. I'd say try it and see how it goes, especially if insurance will pay for it (some plans may not however).

Keithmax likes this.
  3. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I've never seen the point of it

Erik Redd, atbat82 and gorgo2 like this.
  4. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

I would say give it a try if covered by your insurance, but if it doesn't have more than a placebo effect in 3 months, stop the treatments.
    I've had Dry Needling done, a similar treatment using acupuncture needles. It can work well for getting spasmed muscles to relax.
    In my case 4 out of 10 needle placements got results immediately and one of those dramatically "deflated" a balled up muscle. A few years later I had dry needling done again for another issue and it had no positive effects.

Keithmax and John Beeman like this.
  5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I was in a nasty motorcycle crash in 2013 and then fell down all 16 stairs in my house six months later.

I went to Watson Clinic, and I went to a chiropractor and I went to a pain management center. No relief was obtained.

My administrative Assistant had bad migraine headaches and her neurologist had mysteriously disappeared. I don't know how LaTanya (my Administration Assistant) found Dr. Chip Beardsley, but she went for a visit.

LaTanya left my office with her eyes blood-shot and partially closed. She came back an hour later and never had another migraine, even four years later.

Anyway, after LaTanya's visit, I soon booked an appointment for myself.

After my appointment with Dr. Beardsley, I was PAIN FREE!

If you are considering acupuncture, I encourage you to do it.

Keithmax likes this.
  6. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

I had Acupuncture Done on my Lower Back in 4 sessions 20 + years Ago when I was in Germany and I (Think ) it Helped me Tremendously. Would I do it Again ?
    Maybe. Depends on who was doing it I guess.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

7. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

My first wife had congenital back issues. She found a local MD who was a certified acupuncturist and did experience relief.

8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I’ve had acupuncture multiple for different issues. It was always one of several treatments so I can’t say if it was the reason or the other treatments that gave me relief. I say try and see if it works.

9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I've had over 100 TCM (traditional Chinese medicine) treatments and most included acupuncture and related techniques.

I cannot offer evidence or explanation....and I realize that western science cannot find corresponding neural pathways or structures.

That said, it worked for me to treat muscle spasm and neuropathy issues, and i can recommend it to people who seek relief from similar.

10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I tried it as a skeptic. now my mind is changed.

11. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

You'll probably get needled for that comment.

John Beeman and richgem like this.
  12. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I knew when I said it I was sticking my neck out.

13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I have an appointment tomorrow. I found an office in my area (recommended by my pain management office) that doesn’t charge an insane amount of money per visit. So here’s hoping it helps.

14. richgem

I'm on pins and needles to hear how it goes

John Beeman and Erik Redd like this.
  15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I’ll let you know after I’ve taken a stab at it.

John Beeman and Paul Turner like this.
  16. richgem

Thanks. I'm hoping that it won't be too prickly of a situation for you.

John Beeman likes this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Back from the first treatment. It was pretty benign- just some slight irritation while the needles were in. Finished with a nice massage. The acupuncturist was professional & pleasant and the facility was clean & comfortable. Of course, you really can’t come to any conclusion about effectiveness after just one treatment.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    richgem likes this.
  18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

My Father-in-law has had "Ankylosing Spondylitis" for many years, and it has progressed to where he has constant pain in one leg, as well as neuropathy in a foot. No pain killers have helped, and a couple of surgeries havent helped with the pain either. Recently, he started going to get acupuncture, and the pain has decreased considerably. Enough where much of the pain medications could be cut back. So, I would say acupuncture does work.

If you havent heard of this disease, it is a bad one to have.
    Read up:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankylosing_spondylitis

19. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

Yes it works
    Having a good acupuncturist is important
    Visits .... depends on condition and response to treatment

20. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I knew a lady who smoked like a chimney. She went (to acupuncture)and stopped smoking for 3yrs. I often asked her if she felt the longing to smoke. She normally said, only sometimes, but remained a nonsmoker for the three years.
    She had a friend that sort of acted like a caretaker, who passed away. I stopped in to give my respects. I noticed she was smoking again. I later asked her about it. She replied, she just didn't care anymore.
    I can't say if it was the acupuncture that made her stop, but three years is a long time.
    I guess she believed enough to quit.