Will it work old slate roof tile for rolls razor

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by RobertTaylor, Feb 21, 2020.

1. RobertTaylor

RobertTaylor Member

20200221_191108.jpg Hi
    will a old slate roof tile work
    As a rolls razor hone
    I don't see whay not as you can get
    Slate hones
    Will see tomorrow when I have cut it to size
    I am going to lap it on some 250 grit wet and dry
    Then I will replace the strop
    I have a offcut of split it has grain
    On both sides will it work or does it have to be smoooth leather

Edison Carter likes this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Good luck. I've heard of people trying this, but for use on straights. I haven't heard of any successes.

3. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

Not all rocks are created the same. I’ve made quite a few hones from stone. Sometimes you wind up with a hone shaped rock. Not all rock has a consistent matrix and even if it does, it will not always cut. The only way you can tell if that particular piece of slate will make a nice hone is to cut it, lap it and try it. Slate is typically quite soft and the process should be fast and easy. I have a lot of pieces of slate that are good cutting slate but only in the 5-6K range. Finding a nice finisher is kind of challenging. You may be very lucky and should try it out.

Keithmax, Edison Carter and gssixgun like this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

You can find Rolls razors selling just for parts and the stones can be in nice shape.

DaltonGang likes this.
  5. le rat biblio

le rat biblio New Member

I had previously sharpened my straights on my bench stones (oil & water) up tp 10000 grit. Then tried a Rolls blade. Could never ever get it shaving sharp using the Rolls box's hone but got it reasonably sharp on a Chinese 10000 grit waterstone. Then re-discovered a neglected bench stone I'd never had much success with when sharpening knives. It looked like the Welsh purple slate stones 12000 - 14000 grit selling on eBay, so I tried the Rolls blades-I'd acquired some 17 by now-on this purple stone. Hallelulah.
    I use the purple stone to hone my Darwin wedge blades as well & strop these in the Darwin box on leather-impregnated FeOx, as per original Rolls & Darwin specs of yesteryear. I also strop the Rolls blades in their case on the original leather strop but am looking to also strop "out of the box" on a leather belt coated with FeOx.
    BTW: Last year I sold my +/- 20 straights ( incl Henckels, 8 Kropps, Genco), couldn't trust my trembling hand, a casualty of old age, not to inflict some serious facial damage. :>)

Keithmax and DaltonGang like this.
  6. RobertTaylor

RobertTaylor Member

Hi
    Very helpful I have tried it and it slices through paper
    And hair on my arm like a dream
    Now I shall replace
    Know I now
    Ps fantactic shave
    A1

PLANofMAN, RezDog and Keithmax like this.