February 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 30, 2020.

?

Name your favorite!

1. Straight razors.

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. Vintage DE razors.

21 vote(s)
    48.8%
  3. Modern DE razors.

19 vote(s)
    44.2%
  4. SE razors.

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  5. Pain sticks.

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  6. Badger brushes.

16 vote(s)
    37.2%
  7. Boars

11 vote(s)
    25.6%
  8. Synthetics

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
  9. Cookies

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  10. Polls that don't take 10 minutes to fill out!!

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Lol! You must be tired, I'm Joe! I know, it's when you type J, then auto generated names come up and Jeff is the first one to be hit.

2. brit

brit in a box

my apologies Joe..i am a 1 finger typist..and there's Miller's involved:D

9nein9, jgreenepa, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  3. Trigger

It's all good, Gary! Enjoy the rest of the night! I am turning in because I am tired.

9nein9, jgreenepa, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Saturday Shave with some Feb Favorites: This stainless steel Mastro Livi takes a sweet edge, very smooth. The Old Spice mug is filled with vintage Old Spice shaving soap. The soap has lost it scent but not it's performance, I have to put this soap as my best ever performer. The shave excellent. It was just before the gym so I went with Clubman for the gym, the A Taste of Heaven was applied after my return from the gym.

ID - 1 (2).jpeg

5. brit

brit in a box

awesome..:)

9nein9, jgreenepa, Trigger and 3 others like this.
  6. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

Thanks, Gary! Live to shave another day, no?

Up until the Flare Tip, my only experience with Gillette was the Atra and the Fusion--I've enjoyed the FT way more ;)

9nein9, Trigger, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

very cool.the flare tip is the 50s gillette workhorse..delivering millions of great shaves to many generations..:)

9nein9, jgreenepa, Trigger and 6 others like this.
  8. timabababaluka

Beautiful shave, Keith! Trick of the light, but on my phone your brush looked purple/pink (even the bristles) when I first saw the pic. Love the scales on that razor--beautiful! ;)

9nein9, jgreenepa, Trigger and 5 others like this.
  9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

February Favorites

February 21

Razor - 1918 Gillette Old Type
    Blade - treet-silversmall.jpg (1)
    Soap - Stirling Bay Rum
    Brush - Wolf Whiskers Custom Silvertip
    Post - Ogallala Bay Rum

Ok, I'm time warping a bit here since it's after midnight but here is my shave from Friday. I was on a bit of a different schedule due to a date with my wife. We went to the St. Louis Witches Ball (1920's theme) for a fantastic dinner and dancing. So, I shaved early today, around 4 p.m. And, since I was going in proper 20's attire to a proper 20's themed Ball, I also chose my shave gear and technique to match. I wanted a razor that would have been used in the 1920's. With several in my den to choose from I settled on the 1918 Gillette Old Type from a military kit. World War I razor is perfect. But, then comes the blade choice. Obviously a Gillette Blue Blade would be the authentic thing except they all SUCK because why?? They're old CARBON blades. Well there you go. Pick a carbon blade and use that. Stays in theme. I checked my stash and found a few Treet Silvers. Very nice carbons. Smooth and nice from my reviews during the Grand Blade Trials. So razor and blade checked off.

The lather? Well Bay Rum was a popular one back then so out comes the Stirling Bay Rum soap and I'll use a badger brush because synthetics didn't exist back then either. The brush and soap made plenty of great lather with that great Bay Rum scent and that allowed for a very fine, if modified shave. Modified how, you ask? Well, back in the days of our fathers and grandfathers, they didn't do things like three passes and all of the things we do with it today. Well, a few may have, but most who have told stories of watching their dads shave tell of one pass, some touch up, throw on the aftershave, and get out the door to make your money. So, that's what I did. One pass, WTG. Then, some touch up on the rougher patches. Finished DFS which is perfectly fine and matches the result back then. And the after shave? Well if it's a Bay Rum shave it's going all the way. I broke out my bottle of Ogallala Bay Rum and splashed it on. Then, off we went to the Ball to dance until we dropped.

You know - there's something to be said for tradition.

Hope you had a great Friday and you have an even better Saturday!!!

February 21 2020.jpg

10. brit

brit in a box

awesome shave and pic Neal..would be cool to see the outfit..

9nein9, jgreenepa, Trigger and 5 others like this.
  11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well, it probably isn't as amazing as you think but it was fun.

9nein9, jgreenepa, brit and 4 others like this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Definitely a lighting trick, the brush handle is white.

jtspartan, 9nein9, jgreenepa and 5 others like this.
  13. timabababaluka

Awesome shave report, Neal--you go all in, sir! :D

Our grandfathers may have been onto something--a 1+ DFS. Very good, sir! More importantly, sounds like you and the Missus had a great night out on the town :)

9nein9, Keithmax, jgreenepa and 6 others like this.
  14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Gary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Trigger

:)

16. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Been rolling along doing the Artist Club DX blade trials from the tryablade.com sampler pack.

The standard bearer for me is the Feather Professional Super. I just love the way a light touch does the trick.

20200220_101654.jpeg

The Schick Proline P was a solid performer I could be totally satisfied if that was my only blade.

Then along came the Feather Light blade. Use it right and like most stuff can deliver a nice shave.
    20200220_100920.jpeg
    Me?..... I hated it. The reduced width takes away some of the lower angles afforded by the Supers, or any of the others.

The normal width is 8mm, Supers are 8.2mm, and the Lights only 7.4. Here is a photo of Light and Super together.

20200220_101412.jpeg
    The angle tolerance for shaving is reduced. I would recommend avoid them. I saw no reason to use it again.

Another poor performer for me was the Soft Guard blade. The shrouding has wavy parts that stop short of the edge and are prone to snag in use.
    images-1.png
    For the 'guarded type' blade I liked the Feather Pro Guard best.

Edison Carter reporting for Network 23 or 20 min into the future.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  17. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Great report, Bill!
    I haven't tried any of the light or guarded blades and after reading your post doubtful I ever will. Thanks for the comparison.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

18. brit

brit in a box

my wife thought it would be cool to try..:)..

NCoxSTL, 9nein9, Trigger and 4 others like this.
  19. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

AC128D21-F838-4829-BA07-E37B22887197.jpeg
    SOTD Saturday, February 22, 2020

This will be my third and final shave with the Barbasol Floating Head. The problem with having too many vintage razors is that some of them are just exemplary shavers. The Barbasol Floating Head is one, but tomorrow I’ll be shaving with another, the Cooper Monobilt. The Barbasol has delivered two great shaves, the first a DFS and the second a BBS. After waking up to a beautiful sunny morning in Philly, I decided to enjoy a leisurely three pass shave with no goal in mind other than a pleasurable shave. The pieces were all in place.

The Omega Pro48 Boar is just a wonderful shave brush! Great backbone along with well-broken-in feather soft brush ends generates a thick paste from the scuttle that is then applied to both face and noggin. I really enjoy the luxurious face and head brushing that also exfoliates as the lather builds. My barber who I see about once a month for a straight razor head and face shave taught me the method. I had complained to him about being unable to generate a decent bowl lather with MWF. I’ve found his approach - building that initial rich, glistening, yogurty MWF lather on the shaving surfaces instead of in the scuttle - and then wetting the brush in hot water from the faucet as needed and adding it to the paste on the face and dome leads to the cat’s meow of lathers! It’s never failed, regardless of water type, and the process just feels great!

The shave was a joy this morning. I began with my usual cold water rinse. I have stopped using PAA Preshave Cube soap about five days ago. It had been a regular part of my shave routine, but 22 days of MWF has done away with the need for it. After lathering up, I enjoyed a very comfortable first WTG pass with Madame Barbasol who swept away the 24 hrs of whisker growth with aplomb. The secondXTG and third ATG passes left me with a bloodless, baby-smooth, face and dome.Three great shaves, and it’s time to return Madame Barbasol to her case and boxafter a good cleaning. After a wash of my face and noggin with the MWF brushsqueezings, Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite completed what turned out to be aperfect Saturday morning shave, leaving me feeling cool, smooth and refreshed!

RAZOR: Barbasol Floating Head
    Blade: Feather
    PREP: Cold Water rinse
    BRUSH: Omega Pro48 Boar
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite

jtspartan, Primotenore, brit and 9 others like this.
  20. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Excellent shave, Jeff!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

brit, 9nein9, Trigger and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.