Schick Type A, B and C Magazine Repeating Razors for dummies

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Feb 18, 2020.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

These razors are the precursors to the injector razors and were made from 1926 - 1940. The key features for all types is they used a blade magazine and a repeater to load and reload blades. This simple but revolutionary at the time improvement to safety razors allowed users to never have to touch the blade reducing the chance of cutting your fingers to zero as long as the loader worked correctly.

The types are designated by the design of the repeater and spring besides other cosmetic chances. All razors grouped as the same variant will shave the same unless otherwise noted.

First up are the Type A repeaters which were produced between 1926 - 1927. These come in 2 variants. The 1st variants besides having a different style guard also shave more aggressive than the 2nd variants.

1st variant
    key feature is the guard bar is connected to the razor head at it's ends.

straightbar.jpeg

Style 1 - Handle is a smooth finish. These razors are also referred to as Type A1 razors. Produced 1926 - 1927.
    Typea1.jpg

Style 2 - Handle is like style 1 but with a textured finish. These razors are also referred to as Type A1 razors. Produced 1926 - 1927.
    typatextured.jpg

2nd variants
    Key feature is the guard bar is connected to the the razor head in a T shape like the Type B razors

t-bara.jpg

Style 1 - Handle is a smooth finish. These razors are also referred to as Type A1 razors. Produced 1927.
    Typea1.jpg

Style 2 - Handle is like style 1 but with a textured finish. These razors are also referred to as Type A1 razors. Produced 1927.
    A2.jpg

Style 3 - Handle is completely smooth with no grooves and a different style cap. These would also be referred to as a Type A1. Produced 1927.
    TypeA_3rd.jpg typa3.jpeg

Next up are the Type B razors. These were referred to as an improved version of the Schick Repeater. The key feature on these is the rectangular shaped handle and style of magazine loader on the handle. They were produced from 1927 - 1930.

1st variant

Style 1 - This was the standard edition sold with a storage pouch and came in either a silver or gold plated finished. They are also referred to as Type B1 repeaters. Produced 1927 - 1930.
    b1.jpg typeb1g.jpg

2nd variant

Style 1 - This was a special set that sold around Christmas time. Key feature is the safety bar has teeth unlike the B1 which is a smooth safety guard. This razor is also referred to as a B2. Produced 1929 and possibly other years.
    b2.jpg

3rd variant

Style 1 - This also was most likely a special set. Razor is plated in sterling silver and the key feature to the set is it is the only Type B razor that came with a cap. This razor is also referred to as a B3. Unknown when it was produced.
    Typebsterling.jpg

Last of the repeating razors are the Type C models produced between 1931 - 1940. These were billed as the new simplified Schick Magazine Repeating Razor since it did away the with the spring and removable end cap to load the blade magazine tray and also changed how the repeater worked.

1st variants

Style 1 - The key feature of is that is an open comb guard. These are referred to as a C1. Produced 1931 - 1934

Style 2 - The key feature of is that it has a closed comb safety guard. These are referred to as a C2. Unknown the exact production years.

Style 3 - The key feature of is that it has a smooth bar safety guard. These are referred to as a C3. Produced 1940 and possibly other years prior.

Schick3.jpg
    Razors left to right
    Style 1 (C1), Style 2 (C2), Style 3 (C3)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    MPF9, Dave in KY, Aztecmike and 7 others like this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Update new style Type A identified the earlier versions made between 1926 and about June of 1927 had a different style guard bar than the later ones. The earlier ones the guard was connected at the ends of the razor head while the later ones are connected like a T to the razor head same as the way the Type B1 razors.
    straightbar.jpeg t-bara.jpg
    Earlier style on left, later T bar style on right

PLANofMAN, Keithmax, kjbarth and 2 others like this.
  3. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

How do you compare and rate the shaves between repeater types?

I've only used my C3. I have not had the pleasure of keeping company with different repeater types

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

On the Type C repeaters they all shave the same just how the guard feels when dragged across the face differs. That is why I grouped them as different styles but same variant.

All the repeaters I've used I would call mild. The B2 being the mildest one I've used and the B1 least mild.

5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I have the earlier style 1 Type A to shave with and will update the thread if it turns out to shave differently than the those other Type A repeaters.

6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Another thing to add for these early A, B, and C "magazine fed" razors. If you disassemble a shick injector key pack, inside is... one of the magazines that are used in these razors.

Much easier to find than an original magazine, which a lot of these old razors are missing.

8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Normally I don't go into the prototypes but in this case I will since this particular one is a historically significant piece that is known to exist.

20191226_175426~2.jpg 20191226_175550~2.jpg 20191226_175638~2.jpg 20191227_214220~2.jpg

This razor is the very first design prototyped by Colonel Jacob Schick. It has the original head design as can be seen in the patent and also has a date stamp of 24 aka 1924 which correlates to the first patent submission date for this razor.

US1655437-drawings-page-1.png

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

But only on the older all brass made keys.

10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

New handle style Type A added. Section also revised Type A into 2 variants since they do shave differently depending the guard style.
    TypeA_3rd.jpg

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    Aztecmike likes this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Update.
    Textured handle for Type A razors was made for both variants not just the 2nd variant. Main post edited.
    [​IMG]

Aztecmike likes this.
  12. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

GREAT writeup Andy and much appreciated as I seek my 1st repeater eventually !

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    Aztecmike, brit and IAmTheJody like this.
  13. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

I always liked these razors from an aesthetic point of view, but found them to be rather harsh and tended to pull and tug the hairs as opposed to cutting cleanly. That's just me.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

An unusual experience (the tugging). Perhaps the blade not being held securely.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Dave in KY, IAmTheJody and Aztecmike like this.
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

All of them or a specific model or 3?

16. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

The C1,2 and 3s. Loved the looks etc but just not comfortable.

17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Type A and B razors shave nothing like Type C razors. Also depending the variants they shave differently too. A Type B1 might be better suited for you. The B2 is super mild and much more expensive usually. Unless you are collecting you can skip it. The Type A razors dependng the variant are either mild or most aggressive of the repeating razors. The first variant is the most aggressive one.

18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

That's weird. Injector blades are inherently rigid, getting them to tug when sharp and well secured is not something expected. Used my Schick A today. Smooth baby. Repeating razor blades were thicker than injector blades and sometimes the head needs a bit of tweaking to hold a modern blade tightly, that's all I got.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    Dave in KY and IAmTheJody like this.
  19. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

I have 2 older I believe brass key pack and would like to try this. Are these the brass ones and any tips on dismantling it to recoup the blade trays without damaging them ?
    IMG_20210928_081615257_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    PLANofMAN and Droo78 like this.
  20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    @Billyfergie has done it before. He would probably know better than I.

Billyfergie and Dave in KY like this.