What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

I love the red imp. This is the second one I have owned. This came up for sale a long time ago and the condition was just unbelievable and price was great. I jumped on it and then sold the old one I had. The only thing I didn't like was the secondary strop. it was the like was coated linen. I replaced it with the cotton secondary off of a Japanese strop I had. So now it has the japanese cotton for a secondary. The red imp strop is just a great workhorse. Right now I have a rotation of the red imp, dubl duck cordovan special no 1, Tony miller steerdovan, and parker latigo 3" strop. Which if anyone is interested the guy I got the parker from still has a couple for like 35 bucks maybe 45. I cant remember right now. He is on the bay. The parker latigo strops are normally like 65. And it is a great strop as well.

Keithmax, M14Shooter, atbat82 and 4 others like this.
  2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

7/8 C. V. Heljestrand No 140 in ivory, a favorite razor. It’s twin is in black horn. Soap was ABC hard soap lathered with a Rooney 1/3 Silvertip, and a little ABC balm finished up another BDBS shave.

68253708-A7E3-45AB-B2AF-D86E449690DE.jpeg

3. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Cracked scales?

atbat82 and esvh like this.
  4. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

7/8+ Jonathan Breidora 19 Made for the South American Market

Had a wonderful shave with this Vintage Solingen Blade .The blade just wiped the whiskers away.Blade handles very well .Steel is just awesome.This razor is just some of the best quality the skilled tradesman of Solingen produced in the day .
    rps20200222_135449_835.jpg

5. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Just beautiful Mike. :drool:

Steve, always a pleasure to see those Heljestrands.

esvh, atbat82, Karl G and 1 other person like this.
  6. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

Beautiful razor. Just beautiful

esvh, atbat82, Karl G and 1 other person like this.
  7. Ice-Man

Ice-Man Well-Known Member

Tonights Shave

C-Mon Special 13/16
    Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
    Rubberset 400/4 Silvertip 24mm
    Dunhill Edition EDT

17.jpg

8. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

The Wade & Butcher worked it’s magic and left me super smooth today. Wonderful shave :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    Argan Oil PSO
    Romera Wengue Chubby Manchurian Badger
    Wade & Butcher 6/8
    Castle Forbes Lavender Shaving Cream
    Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel

IMG_1589.jpg

Happy shaving - Karl

9. atbat82

atbat82 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Joseph Smith 6/8 wedge this morning. These Sheffield wedges are interesting. Coming off a full hollow you get none of the audible feedback and I was wondering if it was even shaving... yes, it was. And quite well. They’re just very smooth and quiet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

SATURDAY 2-22

It was time for me to give my straights some attention.

Preshave - Proraso green
    Brush - Stirling High Mountain White Badger
    Bowl - Symmetrical Pottery
    Lather fuel - Stirling for Him
    Razor - Dovo 91 Sunday Shaver
    Strop - 40/80 Rasoir Sabre denim/horsehide
    Post - alum & rinse, Thayers Unscented witch hazel, Proraso Green Aftershave Balm, Trumpers Lime Skin food, Stirling For Him AS splash

[​IMG]

As far as 'the stuff' goes, I know it is a lot, but it is the way it was for my first 30 day rule. It never failed me so I go back to it once in awhile.

I was after total comfort today so I did the hot towel routine and everything else.

Went for 4 light touch passes and finished up with as good a straight shave as I ever got. Relaxing and fun.

The Sunday Shaver was sent out for a 30k Shapton edge, which was quite edgey. I mellowed it out some on pasted balsa.

Edison Carter reporting for Network 23 or 20 minutes into the future.
    Shave free!

11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Nice one @Karl G - I have a weak spot for those old hollow, swayback Sheffields!

TestDepth, Edison Carter and Karl G like this.
  12. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

I like that lather bowl, it looks very steampunk. Is that from Etsy? I think I saw one similar to it there.

13. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Symmetrical Pottery I believe, I have one of the older ones that isn’t as striking as Bill’s. Good stuff.

14. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Thank you. I looked and they have both a direct website and an Etsy page. Great looking pottery.

Steve56, Karl G, esvh and 1 other person like this.
  15. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

https://www.symmetricalpottery.com/products

They may have an Etsy store too.

All made to order. Make sure to review the various options. On this one you could get: a soap pocket, a brush holder, a fitted lid. Not cheap, so I planted the idea of a birthday gift with the estrogen units. Voila it showed up.
    :cool:

GAW9576, Keithmax, Steve56 and 2 others like this.
  16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

It looks great, I keep looking but can't find one in that condition.

esvh and Karl G like this.
  17. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Robert Williams Purist, first shave after a touch up on my Shapton Glass 16k. Now the edge is as scary as the razor looks.

ID - 3.jpeg

TestDepth, esvh, DaltonGang and 8 others like this.
  18. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

Newly scaled and honed W&B Celebrated 15/16.
    [​IMG]

TestDepth, esvh, DaltonGang and 9 others like this.
  19. speedster

speedster Well-Known Member

Gorgeous photo, @joamo ! Those two were made for one another and/or you know some tricks with lighting. ;)

20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

This ivory Joseph Rodgers was being shave-tested as a potential restoration project. It was once a large heavy blade with the lightening groove beneath the spine, but it’s been reground. The regrind wasn’t great but it isn’t borked either, it’s mostly just UGLEE with the remains of the groove left. Why they didn’t take it all the way put is beyond me, it’s very shallow. You can also see that the edge should be re-profiled and this is especially noticeable at the heel.

I wanted to hone and shave with it to ensure that it still has it’s temper, and it does. It honed like hard steel on the Shapton Glass, and it shaved lime a dream.

Soap was Eufros Rosa Oud lathered with a Rooney Beehive 1, and the AS was Harris Pink. In spite of all the abuse heaped on this razor over the years, it shaved as well as anything I have.

88442545-A78F-4A4D-9F12-A8B01C7312E2.jpeg

TestDepth, Keithmax, Karl G and 8 others like this.