What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Absolutely amazing looking scales and I love the patina on the blade. Are the scales horn?

M14Shooter, Karl G, esvh and 2 others like this.
  2. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

SWEET

M14Shooter, Karl G and esvh like this.
  3. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

@speedster Thank you! I was given a nice light box recently, works nicely :)
    The color match of the agate and scales was serendipitous, I was looking for a "prop" for the pic and my wife suggested the agate.

@GAW9576 Thank you! The scales are made from an acrylic serving tray found at a Goodwill, root beer brown with black swirls. It does resemble a nice honey horn though.

@Edison Carter Thank you! It was a fun project and I'm very happy with the results.

4. atbat82

atbat82 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

C-Mon Blackie this morning courtesy of @gssixgun. Fantastic razor with an incredible edge. I finally understand what people mean by Sharp and Smooth. It actually felt like I couldn’t cut my face with this thing. It cut hair great but seemed like it was going out of its way to avoid cutting skin (not that I was trying particularly hard to cut myself). Even ATG it was silky smooth.

Nice way to start my Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TestDepth, Keithmax, Karl G and 10 others like this.
  5. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Congratulations.

M14Shooter and Karl G like this.
  6. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

5/8 Gotta
    Had a wonderfully smooth a very close shave with this Vintage Solingen blade .Whats not to like .Finest Sheffield Steel with precision German Grinding and workmanship . rps20200223_155224.jpg

TestDepth, Keithmax, Karl G and 9 others like this.
  7. Ice-Man

Ice-Man Well-Known Member

Tonights Shave

Koraat full hollow custom 8/8th
    Wickham soap co super smooth Southsea Spray
    Blue & White with Stabilized Drift Wood 24mm silvertip
    Christian Dior Eau Sauvage Cologne

31.jpg

TestDepth, Keithmax, Karl G and 9 others like this.
  8. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

SUNDAY 2-22

It was time for some deja vu all over again. Except the Sunday Sunday Shaver instead of the Saturday Sunday Shaver.

Preshave - Proraso green
    Brush - Stirling Badger
    Bowl - Symmetrical Pottery
    Lather fuel - Stirling Blood on Steel 2019 (Tsuka)
    Razor - Dovo 91 Sunday Shaver (Yew)
    Strop - 30/60 Rasoir Sabre denim/horsehide
    Post - alum & rinse, Thayers Unscented witch hazel, Proraso Green Aftershave Balm, Trumpers Lime Skin food, Stirling Blood on Steel 2019 (Tsuka) AS splash

20200223_195430-1.jpeg

During my 100 days of Straight Razor Boot Camp I came to the point I knew was going to stick with edge forward shaving devices. I purchased this
    Razor as my baseline for sharpness to my trainer and it still is for all my straights. It was honed on a coticule by Jarrod at The Superior Shave. It has had some minimal time on pasted strops. The only straight I have that beats it is my Gustave Lalune.

In spite of the fact that the Cocobolo scaled Sunday Shaver did so good yesterday, I'm going to work it on my coticule a bit to see if I can bring it up to this one for smoothness. Not a bad shaver but comparison is the root of all inferiority.

Same shave but stopped at 3.5 passes, relaxing and fun, just a little smoother.

Edison Carter reporting for Network 23 or 20 minutes into the future.
    Shave free!

TestDepth, Keithmax, Karl G and 7 others like this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It's time for another shave with "PINK THING". Fantastic 2 pass shave, with BDBD results. Only minor touch up, under the chin. Excellent made razor, that can take and hold a great edge.

Razor- Geneva Cutlery Corp. Geneva NY
    Brush- JR#262(@Jayaruh ). Ebony/Birdseye Maple. Silvertip Badge knot.
    Soap/Cream- AOS Kingsman, "Bourbon" scented. Excellent shave cream.
    Aftershave- Vintage Avon Spicy. Willy's Jeep Decanter.

P2231283.JPG

10. GAW9576

Holy smokes. That's amazing. Do you have much of the material left.

M14Shooter, Karl G, joamo and 2 others like this.
  11. esvh

esvh Well-Known Member

Yesterday's shave.

On the picture two razors pradat brun frameback damast blade blade stamped l'électrique. It had a chip in the nose region. I got it out and honed it on a progression of shapton glass stone 1k, 2k, small coticule rectungular and thuringer. I did a few passes to test. The result was good

The main shave was done with the heljestrand mk7. That is finally ok now. It takes so much more time to hone it. Finisher on that was an ozuku.

Only now more then 12 hours after the shave I can feel the first stubbles.

[​IMG]

Jayaruh, TestDepth, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  12. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

Keep looking. You will find one. I thought I would never find a decent condition dubl duck special no 1 and I ended up snagging one that is in perfect condition for 50 bucks.

13. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

Yes, I do! :happy108:

Keithmax, M14Shooter, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  14. GAW9576

Lucky man. I will have to keep an eye out for crazy stuff like that to transform into magnificent items. I've never noticed a tray like that before, then again I wasn't looking specifically with that intent.

How was the material to actually work with?

Keithmax and Karl G like this.
  15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Shave #78 with the Filly 14 Sub Cero, cream was Santa Maria Novella lathered with a Simpsons 58, and a dab of SMN fluid body cream finished up another DFS from this aged edge, lol.

TestDepth, Keithmax, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  16. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

6/8 Kikuokan 302 Tamahagane Steel

Had a Great Shave with this Vintage Japanese blade.Edge was smooth a silk and very keen.I finished blade on Sharpton Glass up to 16K.Than used a Apache Strata to smooth edge a little. rps20200224_094701.jpg

Jayaruh, TestDepth, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  17. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

Relatively easy to cut on a scroll saw, although it can weld back to itself. A sharp blade and experimenting with cutting speed can help with that. In any case it can be carefully separated if it does.

Sands well and polishes nicely, I shaped with a dremel and sanded through 2k wet and dry paper. Vigorous hand rubbing with a soft canvas gave it the final finish, no buffing.
    Doing the same hand rubbing after 600 w/d gives a nice satin finish.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Keithmax, Karl G and Edison Carter like this.
  18. atbat82

[​IMG]

I took this Herold Brothers out for another spin this morning after honing it this weekend. After a couple attempts, this was the first time I felt like I got a blade to be actually “shave ready”. No pulling, no tugging, just cleanly cutting whiskers. It also tree-topped arm hair, for whatever that’s worth.

Oddly, this was n incredibly comfortable shave, but not particularly close. I don’t know if that was due to technique or the edge, but it’s like night and day different from my shave yesterday on the C-MON with Glen’s edge. Three passes and some clean up and I ended short of a BBS. I’m probably the only person in the world who knows, but I know!

I think I’m going to set this one aside for a bit and hone up a different razor and see how it goes. I finally feel like my honing technique is passable (though plenty of room for improvement), so I’m excited to try something new.

And, while I’m a sucker for “artisan” soap, this Siliski Soaps was a great performer and has a wonderful resin-y woodsy scent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

That C-MON edge gave you a Benchmark, now you know what is possible with your honing...

Did the hints about how to use Torque while honing and watching the Ripple help you adjust your stroke ???

Karl G, speedster, esvh and 4 others like this.
  20. atbat82

Absolutely! The distinction between torque and pressure was enlightening. I'm now undercutting with far less pressure than I was using before (though maybe still too much, time will tell). Thanks again for the help!

Karl G, speedster, esvh and 4 others like this.